Question about HTDV monitor Offer and new customers..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
GaryPen said:
Ok Simon. If you're too tired, I'll deconstruct a bit of his dishite rhetoric, if you don't mind.
A. They would be moving to the new location, which would be eligible for a free Dish Mover, so Dish is not losing any money on the new customer install vs. the Dish Mover.
B. The new equipment would be DHA leased. So, Dish would be getting it back. Nobody is selling it, or they'd risk a hefty penalty fee.
C. No customer loyalty is owed ANY company beyond that which is created through ongoing customer satisfaction. If a customer can get a better product or service from a competitor, they should go for it. The original provider would have nobody to blame but itself for the customer's defection. (Not 100% accurate of course. Some people do simply go for price. That's how Dish got so many subs to begin with.)
D. Most, if not all, of the NIB Dish gear on Ebay is from retailers and installers. Much of the used stuff is, too. When an installer installs an upgrade to your dish, lnb, switch, etc, and takes the old stuff with him, do you think it goes back to Dish? Yeah right. It goes straight to Ebay.

So I'm a "Dishite" now since I'm mostly happy with Dish Network's service, lol? I get it. We're back to stereotypically categorizing everyone into two separate camps. "The Dishites" vs. the "Charlie and Dish Bashers"? Kind of a short-sighted and narrow-minded perspective considering this us vs. them mentality allows for no middle ground at all between two extreme point of view camps. Glad you chimed in though as I was waiting for you to jump into this thread in full hypocrisy since you boasted previously about getting the new customer red-carpet treatment done in your wifes name (didn't you score yourself a new 811 in the process if memory serves?) and are one of the most consistent vocal complainers both here and on DBSTalk.com in spite of everything they've done for you in the past.

On to your points though:

A) Dish Mover requires a 12 month commitment to the Top 60 or Dish Latino at minimum as well as an agreement to be enrolled in credit card autopay. If there is one single repeated topic that people seem to universally despise the most on these forums and in the chats both, its the thought of people willingly agreeing to having their credit card information in Dish's hands every month. New customers don't have to agree to this stipulation on day one.

B) Maybe I've missed something and things have changed drastically while I was "allegedly" asleep at the wheel, but aren't you being a bit premature in saying new customers now have only one option in terms of getting new equipment which is "lease only"? I've heard rumblings and rumors that this in the works down the road, but I wasn't aware this had been phased in for everyone universally already. Far as I know, new customers today can still outright purchase new equipment and sign up as owners of their hardware avoiding any lease requirements.

C) Some people will never be pleased no matter how many hoops a company jumps through in the pursuit of waving the "the customer is always right" flag at every beck and call. Speaking as someone who used to do new customer activations as well as followup calls months later from the same subscribers, a lot of times all these goodwill gestures are conveniantly forgotten the moment someone has a single new problem. Thats just how it goes these days unfortunately. I'm talking specifically about the subscribers who are actively cashing in on free everything at every go round regardless of how things are setup and are the first ones to cry wolf with empty threats of "I'm going to switch if you don't do this, this, and this for me now" to customer retention in even more self-serving greed. The reality is, lots of people look to repeatedly take advantage and abuse trust and honor of company policies like these. In the big picture, its the company that takes a hit financially when everyone adopts said treat me as a king mentality. I don't personally feel that Dish owes me new receivers every two years as the age old cellular industry arguments always come up in threads like this. If Dish ever changes their compression broadcasting schemes to a new and better more secure standard that requires all new hardware - I would think it would be in their best interests to do this at no charge though. We do have to differentiate between "need" and "want" when it comes to peoples desires for newer satellite equipment to keep up with the Jones'. Good business sense says you can't give everything away over and over again to people who already cashed in once. Thats all I'm saying here.

Bobby said:
The only requirement is that they add a dish that will receive signal from the wing satellite in question. That could be, and mine is, a Dish300. A 500 will work but a 300 is all that is required.

Oh I know this. I received a 2nd Dish 500 for no charge myself though here in the northeast.

Oceangrace24 said:
I know this thread kind of went in another direction, so I thought I would bring back up this question that I had that may have went overlooked..
Thanks

I think you can do much, much better quality-wise opting instead for a Toshiba, Panasonic, or Sony direct view HDTV as opposed to running with RCA if your heart is set on a newer tube TV. Big advantage in not having to do a sixty point manual convergence every few months on a big screen rear projection set there as well as generally better blacks and a wider viewing angle. Infocus has some really nice projectors like the X1 and the 4805 if you want great quality at a good price without having to sacrifice screen size and have good controlled room lighting. Circuit City sells the X1 for a pretty reasonable cost and it gets great reviews on AVS and HDTV Arcade Forums. I own a Toshiba 43" rear projection HDTV that had its convergence board die a few months back. Cost of having it fixed out of warranty will have me looking to pursue other options with a new set that features HDMI. Its about 3 years old and now useless to me considering for a few hundred dollars more, I can buy a whole new set.

Unthinkable: Any savvy consumer will AND SHOULD always be looking for the best deal. They owe the provider NOTHING beyond their contractual obligations. If a problem occurs, it should be fixed without any provider excuses of "oh but we gave this to you". That's just crap! If another company can come along and 'buy' their business, that's simply the free marketplace. If you don't like it, consider moving to another country that doesn't allow that.

As for the "age old" cellular argument - it's only been in the last two years that they started figuring it out, and took steps to reduce churn.

Oceangrace24 said:
I know this thread kind of went in another direction, so I thought I would bring back up this question that I had that may have went overlooked..
Thanks
Personally I would go with the Direct-view TV. There is several reasons, but most of all, you don't have to worry about damaged screens or buying protective screens.

The SD on my 40" is considerably better than it was on my Sanyo 25" TV. And I think the 34" would have even better PQ than the 40". And of course the HD is great on my 40" TV. I've compared it to my friends Mitsubishi HDTV and I couldn't tell a difference!

The Wal-Mart in my area has a Sanyo 30" HDTV for $700 (approx), the only thing is you would have to buy a TV stand for it. The reason why I bring this up, you could do some searching, find a TV like this one, lease the 811, and have a lower up-front cost. Just an option.

There is nothing wrong with RCA, ALL TV's break, ALL TV's have their problems, and etc... So, remember if you go out and find a more expensive TV, you won't really be gaining that much in PQ or peace of mind unless you go big. If you are going to spend $1000-3500 you would be better off getting a Plasma, LCD, or a DLP. Check out http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?t=4801 for more info on different TV's and the pro's and con's of them.

I can only say what I have experienced, the RCA 40" TV is great, I don't have any problems with the PQ, features, etc... There is nothing wrong with getting the HD in a Box deal, for the price it's worth it. The saying of what you pay for is what you get, well for me it exceeds what I payed for.

Good New and Bad News

Good News and Bad News..

I decided that I am going to go ahead and go with the 34" Direct View HDTV.

I called *E today to see about getting set up.
The main 800 number gave me another number to call, so I did.

No, in addition to the HDTV in a box deal, I need to get upgraded to A superdish so that I can receive my local channels.

I decided that I would do the morally right thing and not try to get around the whole existing subscriber/new subscriber thing and just go through my current account.

I am set up for a dish mover/superdish upgrade for Tuesday morning.

Also I did get some good news because they told me that the HDTV deal was $799. Even as a current subscriber. So, I was making a big deal out of the $200 for nothing. The website still lists the deal when you go through your account as $999, but they told me on the phone that it was $799!! YEAH

The Bad news is that they were not able to schedule an install/delivery for the HDTV AND schedule a Dish mover promotion at the same time. I was told that they could do the Two work orders at the same time. I was told that after I get the superdish installed, I would be able to call back and schedule the HDTV offer. I was put on hold 3 or 4 times with the gentleman I was speaking with so that he could (supposedly) speak with his supervisor about this. I was ready with my credit card to give them the $799 to get this done tonight.

So, I guess I will be back on the phone with them after Tuesday morning's superdish install. :cool:

tonyp56 said:
Personally I would go with the Direct-view TV. There is several reasons, but most of all, you don't have to worry about damaged screens or buying protective screens.

The SD on my 40" is considerably better than it was on my Sanyo 25" TV. And I think the 34" would have even better PQ than the 40". And of course the HD is great on my 40" TV. I've compared it to my friends Mitsubishi HDTV and I couldn't tell a difference!

There is nothing wrong with RCA, ALL TV's break, ALL TV's have their problems, and etc... So, remember if you go out and find a more expensive TV, you won't really be gaining that much in PQ or peace of mind unless you go big. If you are going to spend $1000-3500 you would be better off getting a Plasma, LCD, or a DLP.

I can only say what I have experienced, the RCA 40" TV is great, I don't have any problems with the PQ, features, etc... There is nothing wrong with getting the HD in a Box deal, for the price it's worth it. The saying of what you pay for is what you get, well for me it exceeds what I payed for.

From what I understand, the 40" RPTV IS a DLP.

Oceangrace24 said:
Could someone go over the pros and cons of the direct view vs. the projection?
Are there usually any glare problems or problems with angle of view?

Thanks for the info everyone!
For me without question if i had it to do over I would go with a 34" tube over 40 REAR

I have a 42" RP MITSI it is fine on HD but my 27" Samsung Tube for all the digital chanels has a much brighter and better colors than the Mitsi.

Also must consider I understand both of those sets are RCA I doubt many on this board would have RCA on the other hand I was just at Circiut City Sat you can not find many if any 34" HD sets at 799 that part is great

Trido

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)