Question about HTDV monitor Offer and new customers..

Oceangrace24

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
Lexington, SC
I am interested in getting E*'s HDTV offer for one of the HDTV monitor and receiver.
I am a current Subscriber. I know the offer was originally $999 and they have dropped it to $799.

Is the offer available for Current subscribers? Will it be $999 or $799.

If it is only available for new first time subscribers would this senerio work??? We just bought a new house and are moving in the next 2 weeks.
The E* account has been under my name since we have had it for the last year and half. Can I open a new account in my wife's name at our new address and Dish think that it is a new account?? My wife's name is not on my account and we are moving to a totally new address. Would this workaround work??

Also, I have read the opinions about the HDTV's that Dish offers. Please don't tell me how bad they suck and how I should get something different. I have a small budget and If I don't take this offer, I will not be able to get HDTV for another year to 2 years. I want to go ahead and get one of these TV's and then hopefully upgrade in a few years.

Which one would you recomend? the 34 or the 40 inch. It will go in the corner of a room that will have a normal maximum viewing range of 15-20 feet with the kitchen also looking towards the kitchen another 20-25 feet behind the couch that is at `15-20 feet..

Sorry for the long post, but I did have a lot of questions about this..

Oh, one more thing,
I need the 105 superdish for my locals, would this come with this offer also?

The Terms & Conditions say "for new, first-time DISH Network residential households only."

That didn't clear up my question. If my wife were to call and order the service using our new address, it would be a new customer, would it not? Her name and this address is no way tied to my current account..

I must have missed that part of your question. As long as DISH has no idea who your wife is or your new address, they would have no way of knowing. I'd say go for it.

I believe DISH is required to install whatever equipment is necessary for you to receive your locals.

The 34" is a tube, 40" projection. Depends on your viewing pleasure. We have the 34" as a demo in the store and it does fine for HD and "ok" for SD. As mentioned by chaddux this offer is for new customers only, if you try to circumvent their system make sure you get it perfect. If your local dealer is the one that sells/installs you he will be none to happy with your chargebacks for the deception if caught by E*. The promo is 799.99 for the monitor which you own and includes the 811 which you lease. The same 49.99 activation fee applies for the DHA program which you will get back as a programming credit on your first months bill.

Could someone go over the pros and cons of the direct view vs. the projection?
Are there usually any glare problems or problems with angle of view?

Thanks for the info everyone!

First of all, they are offering the HD in a Box for $999 for current customers. (just said so last CC, and another thing, back when I ordered the HD in a Box, their promo only said for new customers too, but I was still able to order it as a current customer (2-04), don't know why they don't say it's for current customers, but they don't) Anyways the $799 deal is for new customers only, so you need to be prepared to pay the $999. (You can do like you said but what’s $200?)

The TV's are made by Thompson (RCA), the 40" is comparable to the RCA D40W20, the only thing different is the design of the cabinet (it comes from the G.E. D40GW10, which is still a Thompson company) and it doesn't come with a protective screen. (I know because this is the one I got, and my five year old scratched it up) so if you've got kids and don't want to spend anywhere from $40-280 dollars for the protective screen plus $290 to replace the original screen if it gets damaged DON’T BUY THE RPTV. (40")

The thing about the 34" that I didn't know until I had already finished my order for the 40", it comes with a TV stand. (At least that is what the CSR told me on the phone). I don't know what model TV you can compare it to other than it's also a RCA TV. (Do a search on the net for a 34" RCA and G.E. TV.)

The problem with both of these TV's, after I ordered mine and my son scratched the screen I called Dish Network to find out how I could order a new screen, THEY DIDN’T KNOW, NOR DID THEY KNOW WHO DID, they told me to call a Thompson repair center, and even gave me four numbers for places in my area, and I called them all, and all of them had no idea what TV I was talking about. (And therefore couldn’t order me a new screen, they had never heard of a model HD40-300) Dish labels these TV's with a Model number that is only specific to Dish (HD40-300, HD34-300). I even called Thompson, and all that they could tell me is that they've received lots of calls on the TV's from Dish, but that they had no information on them. Long story short I had to figure out what TV I had, and order a replacement veneer screen for it. So be prepared to have lets say less than satisfactory customer service. (Dish should have had a way for me to order a replacement screen, but they had NO INFO on something as simple as a screen, let alone a CRT or what ever)

Beyond this customer service night-mare, the TV is great. The amount of connections, features, and a great picture make it worth it. The 34” is the same on all of these things except the picture quality, and that depends on you.

Direct View is a new name for a TV that has been around since the beginning, plain old tube TV’s. You know the big, heavy TV’s, TV’s from 9”-?”, that is Direct View. RPTV’s (rear projection TV’s, actually all projection TV’s) are bigger, but yet lighter in weight. The negatives are reduced viewing angle, (you can’t watch a RPTV from the side or too close to it as well as a Direct View TV) some people say RPTV's have reduced clarity, and they are also more likely to get burn in. (just to name a few) Beyond this, it’s up to you. How big is the room that the TV is going in, how dark is it, and what do you like, is what you will have to think about before getting the TV. (Plus the problem with the protective screen that I talked about earlier, and also something else depending on what protective screen you choose you will have more glare, but you can get anti-glare protective screens, but if the room the TV is going in is dark you won't have to worry about it) If you are not sure, go to a electronics store and look at some of the RPTV’s and compare them to Direct View TV's.

CablerMN said:
As mentioned by chaddux this offer is for new customers only, if you try to circumvent their system make sure you get it perfect. If your local dealer is the one that sells/installs you he will be none to happy with your chargebacks for the deception if caught by E*.

Not to mention the moral and ethical issues with knowingly deceiving a company to double dip on promotions, free programming, free hardware etc... The more people abuse this company goodwill, the faster everyone elses rates will go up.

Unthinkable said:
Not to mention the moral and ethical issues with knowingly deceiving a company to double dip on promotions, free programming, free hardware etc... The more people abuse this company goodwill, the faster everyone elses rates will go up.
If D8 and E* treated their exsting customers HALF as well as "new" ones, people wouldn't need to be thinking about this sort of thing near as much.

Some of the cellphone companies have gotten the clue - why not DBS?

I agree with SimpleSimon. Although I am one of those new customers, I know my previous, and downright abysmal provider, Cox Communications refused to give any deals to customers of two decades. That's why I can look out my backyard and, no matter which way I turn, I see dishes (DISH and DirecTV) in every direction.

Unthinkable said:

Well when I first signed up with Dish I got no deals I bought my system and installed myself, no free system, no free programming :( . So if I do it am I in the wrong????? :confused:

RCA D34W20
This is the 34 inch model. I found this on Amazon and it had a review that said it was the Dish Tv. It had the exact same dimensions, so it must be..

Tony, Thanks for the great information!!
With all things being equal, which TV would you choose??
The room will be average light, not too dark, not too light.
We have been using a Sanyo 25inch regular tv that we have had for several years.
Will the SD picture quality through Dish be about the same as what I am getting now on my Sanyo tv? I know the HD will be stunning, but we will obviously be watching a lot of SD local channels and others...

I think that 34 inches would be a step up in size, but if the picture quality on the Direct view is much better than the Projection, we can live without the extra 8 inches.
Thanks again..

thiggin2 said:
Well when I first signed up with Dish I got no deals I bought my system and installed myself, no free system, no free programming :( . So if I do it am I in the wrong????? :confused:

No. You arent.

SimpleSimon said:
If D8 and E* treated their exsting customers HALF as well as "new" ones, people wouldn't need to be thinking about this sort of thing near as much.

Some of the cellphone companies have gotten the clue - why not DBS?

Thing is, Dish Network isn't in the business to give away costly equipment and programming promotions several times over for the same customers. 3 or 4 new receivers with 2 Dish 500 dishes if locals are on separate birds, new LNB's, switches, and another install on the house is pretty expensive all things considered. Factor in the demanding customers who call up to complain right after their installs are completed to insist on free HBO/Showtime/Starz for X months etc... as compensation for whatever a satellite installer or csr rep may or may not have done properly to his or her standards and folks are soaking them for even more in the name of all sins avarice. Hard to compare something like this to a provider like Verizon Wireless offering a measly $100 off a new cell phone every 2 years providing you agree to a $40.00 plan/month at minimum and remain in good credit with them. They make that hundred bucks back pretty quickly and have you roped in for 2 years minimum to boot which is a long time in the world of ever changing plans, offers, and technology. Dish already does this now when they give existing customers big breaks on new equipment even if their receivers are out of warranty and subscribers have no extended coverage plans per month. They eat shipping costs all the time also and the worst part is, this same customer appreciation/loyalty that should be generated in return often is dismissed in a heartbeat for the next big deal with the competition.

Dish has a subscriber acquisition cost which is calculated on gaining a new customer one time same as Voom and DirecTV. Plenty of existing subscribers will go on to sell their new receivers, switches, dishes, lnb's meant for new subcribers on Ebay! for pure profit which ultimately makes a total mockery of said hospitality to a ridiculous degree imo. Look at how bad it is on Ebay! with the freebies Best Buy hands out with new release DVD's alone. Lotta greed out there. Like I said previously, if everyone takes this same "gimme, gimme, gimme more" approach, we'll all pay for it sooner rather then later.

I won't bother to deconstruct your entire rant, but NO cutomer gets 2 Dish 500s, and as for install quality, I've seen way too many total hack jobs to have ANY sympathy about that. Even their own employee installers - and sometimes ESPECIALLY them are half-assed too much of the time.

Of COURSE a commitment makes sense to get the good deals. Duh.

Ok Simon. If you're too tired, I'll deconstruct a bit of his dishite rhetoric, if you don't mind.
A. They would be moving to the new location, which would be eligible for a free Dish Mover, so Dish is not losing any money on the new customer install vs. the Dish Mover.
B. The new equipment would be DHA leased. So, Dish would be getting it back. Nobody is selling it, or they'd risk a hefty penalty fee.
C. No customer loyalty is owed ANY company beyond that which is created through ongoing customer satisfaction. If a customer can get a better product or service from a competitor, they should go for it. The original provider would have nobody to blame but itself for the customer's defection. (Not 100% accurate of course. Some people do simply go for price. That's how Dish got so many subs to begin with.)
D. Most, if not all, of the NIB Dish gear on Ebay is from retailers and installers. Much of the used stuff is, too. When an installer installs an upgrade to your dish, lnb, switch, etc, and takes the old stuff with him, do you think it goes back to Dish? Yeah right. It goes straight to Ebay.

SimpleSimon said:
I won't bother to deconstruct your entire rant, but NO cutomer gets 2 Dish 500s, and as for install quality, I've seen way too many total hack jobs to have ANY sympathy about that. Even their own employee installers - and sometimes ESPECIALLY them are half-assed too much of the time.

Of COURSE a commitment makes sense to get the good deals. Duh.

One: it wasn't a rant. Two: people get two free dishes in cities where additional locals are provided on the side satellite everyday of the year.

Unthinkable said:
One: it wasn't a rant. Two: people get two free dishes in cities where additional locals are provided on the side satellite everday of the year.

The only requirement is that they add a dish that will receive signal from the wing satellite in question. That could be, and mine is, a Dish300. A 500 will work but a 300 is all that is required.

Oceangrace24 said:
RCA D34W20
This is the 34 inch model. I found this on Amazon and it had a review that said it was the Dish Tv. It had the exact same dimensions, so it must be..

Tony, Thanks for the great information!!
With all things being equal, which TV would you choose??
The room will be average light, not too dark, not too light.
We have been using a Sanyo 25inch regular tv that we have had for several years.
Will the SD picture quality through Dish be about the same as what I am getting now on my Sanyo tv? I know the HD will be stunning, but we will obviously be watching a lot of SD local channels and others...

I think that 34 inches would be a step up in size, but if the picture quality on the Direct view is much better than the Projection, we can live without the extra 8 inches.
Thanks again..

I know this thread kind of went in another direction, so I thought I would bring back up this question that I had that may have went overlooked..
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)