Question about Inactivity Mode.

Patrick G.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
Is there any additional advantage to shutting the receiver off now that the 721 has an inactivity mode? The light on the front of the receiver does not go off when in Inactivity Mode, does it?

Yes - when it's off it's not buffering so even though the hard drive is spinning it's not actively reading and writing to it so it still saves wear and tear.

Dennis

Plain and simple. Turn it off when you go to bed. Your DVR will last a couple extra years.

To answer your quesiton, yes you should still turn it off. If you don't only after 4 hours if no button pushes will it spin down, not off the hard drive and stop buffering. That's 4 hours of buffering that you didn't need.

The 4 hour rule makes sense seeing how you have 2 hours of buffer on each tuner for a total of 4 hours that is divided amongst both tuners on the 721.

I thought I still heard the hard drive still turning even though I turned the receiver off in the past and that I have heard of others reporting the same thing.

I get no Dish network screen saying push select to continue on my 721, like I do on my 508 . I don't think mine is working like it is suppossed to do.

As to what Mike said, my 721 doesn't power off as far as i can tell. No screen like they put on the 508 and the light stays on.

As far as shutting them off, Why? The unit will be out dated in 3-4 years and that is nothing for a HD.
I have seen a Server run 24/7 for 8 years now on the same hard drive.

This was discussed on the recent Tech Chat. They recommended shutting off the receiver at night to increase the life of the hard drive. They claimed that when a drive is in a computer, it is not really being used that much, even if the computer is left on 24/7. However, in a DVR, the drive is constantly buffering the video - so the drive is in constant use. That is why they say to shut it off at night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts