Question about making Component cables-

Rosenman69

Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
When I first got my HDTV I made the mistake of buying cheap HDMI and component cables on ebay. I needed 25ft cables to run through the wall. Well, they both crapped out on me. My D* guy told me that I could just use 3 coax cables and buy connectors at Radioshack that screw onto the ends of the cable to make them component cables. He even cut me three 25ft. coax cables. He told me that they will even get a clearer signal than most standard component cables. So today I bought some "F-to-Phono" adapters from radioshack, hooked everything up, but no picture. The connectors fit good onto the cable and into the component jacks, but nothing. Any help would be appreciated! Anybody else make their own cables? Know where to buy some good cables for cheap?

TIA

Check the wire or stingers on the coax and make sure they are long enough to make contact... and maybe slightly bend them to be sure. Radio Shack does have Rca cable ends also that should go right on the Coax in place of the Rg6 connectors.

Screw on connectors SUCK!!!!!!! BUT if you are stuck with them make sure the center pin is protruding even with, or 1/16 inch beyond the edge of the connectors. You also need to CAREFULLY remove some (about 1/4 inch) of the plastic jacket using a sharp knife and leave the shielding in place to push back over the jacket so when you put the screw on cables they will be grounded to the shield.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)