Question about motor and gear box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Here is a question for all you Guru's who have owned Birdviews and AJAK H-H mounts and motors, or similar motor mounts. :D

What is the little bolt on the gearbox with the set-nut for?

Here is a pic of the the one on the Birdview:

bview-motor-jpg.jpg

The AJAK mount on the Pinnacle has a similar bolt going into the gearbox near the motor.

Is that for putting in lubrication?

If so, how do you do it?

Thanks,

Fred

.....What is the little bolt on the gearbox with the set-nut for?.....

If you hadn't mentioned the locking nut I'd say it was a tapped hole for a vent. Most gearboxes mount in several orientations and will have a vent for each position. However, this one may be to adjust backlash on the gears or to keep them aligned.

I've also see something similar in that the bolt would have a brass end on it to keep a large gear from flexing and disengaging from the gear driving it. The bolt would be adjusted to a specified gap and as the gear flexed, it would rub on the brass end. Drag racers sometimes do this to the ring gear in a differential.

Harold

Hey Harold,

As always you have a good explanation from an engineering point of view.

I still haven't figure out how to actually lube the insides of the gear-boxes on these motors. They must be a closed system, and require no input.

I have lubed the shafts that go into them, but that is about it.

Thanks,

Fred

I wanted to post these close-up pictures of the motor and gears on the Pinnacle and ask another question or two.

counts-h-h.jpg gear-box.jpg gear-shaft-other-end.jpg

motor-shaft-gear-shaft-chain.jpg slotted-nut.jpg

The one picture above shows a little masonite like circle that is held in place by 3 bolts and washers. You can look at the corresponding picture and see that the bolts don't go all the way through the motor.

Is it possible to take out those three bolts, slip off the masonite circle and access the gears to lube them up good?

I don't want a lot of things to come shooting out at me, but would at least like to check how well the gears are lubed.

The pics of the various shafts also give an idea where a better sensor might be mounted.

Thanks,

Fred

....little masonite like circle....

Hey Fred:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the reed switch attached to the plastic plate? If it is, then the stator (magnet wheel) is behind it, and you would rotate the plate to fine tune the reed switch. The plastic plate would set the gap between the stator and the switch.

Doubt that there would be any way to lube anything behind the plate, but you could mark it, take it off, and see.

Harold

Hey Harold,

I think you are correct. If you look at the one picture of the terminal strip beside the motor, you will see on the top side from left to right, orange, white, red,green,and red.

Then look at the picture on the plastice circle. The red wire/wires/ end at the sensor, and the green is a ground.

I suppose it is possible to fine tune the magnet wheel. I haven't ever done it, nor do I know how to proceed. It doesn't appear to be skipping any pulses. Stops and starts at the correct place every time.

I might mark and pop off the circle just to see if there is something that can be lubed in there.

I am a firm believer in lubrication as you can tell by the oil clicker can I had in a picture somewhere here. :cool:

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)