Question about Network Connectivity for Home Media

typer922

Jun 26, 2010
Corpus Christi
Installer just left. My router is in my bedroom closet so I have no ethernet access for the 1 hopper (bedroom) or 1 joey (living room). The installer decided to put the hopper in the bedroom since it's closest to the router and put a wifi adapter on it. I tried Home Media on the hopper and it picked up the PS3 Media Server with no issues and I was able to watch all my movies and shows. When I move to the living room (where I'd be using Home Media a lot more) and try it on the Joey, it says I need a Hopper Internet Connector or a direct line.

Should the installer have used the HIC instead of the wifi adapter? Was that even an option? According to the Dish Connection Hierarchy, HIC is preferred over the wifi adapter.

Installer just left. My router is in my bedroom closet so I have no ethernet access for the 1 hopper (bedroom) or 1 joey (living room). The installer decided to put the hopper in the bedroom since it's closest to the router and put a wifi adapter on it. I tried Home Media on the hopper and it picked up the PS3 Media Server with no issues and I was able to watch all my movies and shows. When I move to the living room (where I'd be using Home Media a lot more) and try it on the Joey, it says I need a Hopper Internet Connector or a direct line.

Should the installer have used the HIC instead of the wifi adapter? Was that even an option? According to the Dish Connection Hierarchy, HIC is preferred over the wifi adapter.
From what others have said here, you either need an ethernet connection to each Hopper and each Joey to make Home Media work or you need an HIC somewhere in the system, at least for now.

You might be OK with a second WiFi adapter on your Joey.

Odd that the installer put Hopper in the bedroom. Seems like you might want to take advantage of PIP in the living room and can't do that with Joey. Hopper also has a drive and fan that create a little noise.

Alright, from what I read it looks like the HIC needs to be hard-wired to the router and that's why the installer didn't use one since the router is in my closet. I guess I could run a cat5 out of the closet, along the baseboards, and up to the tv but that won't look very nice.

So my next question...since the wifi-equipped hopper can pick up my media server but the joey can't, I'd rather have the Hopper in the living room. Can I just swap them out or is there something in the wiring that won't allow that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)