Question about new install - 1st Post

tidal

Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
thanks for eading this post... found this site through fatwallet.com

My question is I currently have two rg6 coax cables coming into the house... one for cable and one for Directv NFL Sunday Ticket and I would like to know if that will be enough lines for 3 receivers?

I saw a deal for a free DVR and free HD receiver from Dishnetwork. I want to put the DVR in the bedroom and HD receiver on my HDTV in the living room and the 3rd receiver in the guest room.

Living in Northern Alabama what is the likelihood of catching 49ers games like my Sunday Ticket?

Thanks again

tidal said:
thanks for eading this post... found this site through fatwallet.com

My question is I currently have two rg6 coax cables coming into the house... one for cable and one for Directv NFL Sunday Ticket and I would like to know if that will be enough lines for 3 receivers?

I saw a deal for a free DVR and free HD receiver from Dishnetwork. I want to put the DVR in the bedroom and HD receiver on my HDTV in the living room and the 3rd receiver in the guest room.

Living in Northern Alabama what is the likelihood of catching 49ers games like my Sunday Ticket?

Thanks again

Welcome Tidal,

Two cables are enough for four receivers with a Dish Network system. You will need a DP34 switch that uses two in and allows for four outputs, this switch can be located by your home run to make life simple for you. With the free system offered it will also include free install and the switch, you will have to pay extra for either the DVR or the HD box as they only allow one of those for free.

Sorry about the Sunday ticket that is only DTV. You may catch a 49er game on occasion via locals, cant help too much with that one.

Thanks TheaterWizard!

Also... is there a 2x8 switch? 2 In and 8 Out? I have 8 cable outlets throught the house and would be nice to just plug a receiver in and go.

Also does the Dish DVR require two coax's like the DirecTv Tivo?

thanks again

You can add another dp34 switch and get eight outputs from the original two.

the basic dvr's like the 510 only need one input as they only have one tuner. The 921 or 721 need two inputs, but are not included in the free deals.

TheaterWizard said:
Two cables are enough for four receivers with a Dish Network system. You will need a DP34 switch that uses two in and allows for four outputs, this switch can be located by your home run to make life simple for you. With the free system offered it will also include free install and the switch, you will have to pay extra for either the DVR or the HD box as they only allow one of those for free.
I just got an install about two weeks ago. Since I needed a second Dish for internationals, the retailer charged me $100 for second dish and I think $50/$100 for a switch. Do you mean that this was supposed to be included?

Also, the installer installed switch outside and left it exposed. A friend of mine said they should have covered it, else rain may get inside. Can you recommend what to get and where to buy such a cover? Thanks.

jdh62 said:
TheaterWizard said:
I just got an install about two weeks ago. Since I needed a second Dish for internationals, the retailer charged me $100 for second dish and I think $50/$100 for a switch. Do you mean that this was supposed to be included?

Probably not. The only way the 2nd dish is free is if there is local channels on the wing satellite. Then Dish would have to supply it for free. You state your from Nothern VA...are you in the Washington, DC DMA? If so, then there lies a problem. There are some channels on the wing satellite and you should have gotten the dish for free.

I live 10 min from DC, so I guess I got the DC locals. Thanks, Iceberg -- I looked up the DC locals on the Dish channel lineup, and I saw some of the locals are on 61.5. Now, the question is who I do yell at to get compensated? Dish or retailer?

jdh62 said:
I live 10 min from DC, so I guess I got the DC locals. Thanks, Iceberg -- I looked up the DC locals on the Dish channel lineup, and I saw some of the locals are on 61.5. Now, the question is who I do yell at to get compensated? Dish or retailer?

Problem here is dish will not compensate the dealer for installing a dish for locals, that should have been done direct through dish. I would call dish and find out why the retailer did it instead of dish direct.

The switch is water resistant, however if the unused ends are expsosed then water will get in and ruin it. You can buy water tight tape at home depot, its like a rubber black tape that you would wrap around the connections of the DP34

Since I needed a second Dish for internationals, the retailer charged me $100 for second dish and I think $50/$100 for a switch.
The retailer followed standard procedure when International programming is envolved.

kd-did said:
Since I needed a second Dish for internationals, the retailer charged me $100 for second dish and I think $50/$100 for a switch.
The retailer followed standard procedure when International programming is envolved.

Your right, I forgot he mentioned that he wanted it for internationals before in his post.....Good call!

I called Dish and asked them what the cost would have been if I had arranged installation through them, and they told me total cost would have been $149. My cost through local retailer was over $300. I don't mind paying more for what I hope would have been a good installation, but my experience has been pretty crummy (installed to siding, and one dish almost falling off).

I read stories of horror installations using Dish's installers, but am now experiencing same/worse using retailer. And to top it off, I paid over double what I would have if I had gone through Dish.

aquacure123 said:
TheaterWizard said:
tidal said:
you will have to pay extra for either the DVR or the HD box as they only allow one of those for free.

Actually I just signed up as a new customer with Dish for the 811, 522, and a 301, all for free.

You received all those for free? Was this a Digital home plan? That is the only place to get 522's. If it was that was not free its a lease, and dish owns the equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)