Question about new install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

campinfool

Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
I just had Dish installed yesterday and can't be happier with the picture quality on 5 televisions compared with only 4 on standard Time Warner Cable. So far I'm wondering why it took so long for me to switch. I know it's still the honeymoon stage and it could always turn to a love/ hate relationship, but so far I'm impressed. My question is regading signal levels. They installed a Dish 500. Right now I'm getting signals of 91 on the 110 and 100 on the 119. Since I'm so green I'm curious if these are good readings. Seemed like yesterday they were a bit higher. Today it was pretty overcast dreary day. Will general cloud cover cause a fluctuation or just all out rain storms. Just hoping the installer peaked mine as mucha s he could. Can't ever tell when they work by the job. Thanks for helping a newbie.

Signals in the 90's and higher are really good. A lot of mine are in the 80's and a couple are in the 70's. Except during a very heavy downpour, I've never lost signal.

It actually was rather interesting when I did lose the signal. I lost it and then the rain hit about 10 seconds later. Storm must have been coming from the south. The signal was out for only about 15 to 20 seconds.

Yes, you might see some variations in signal strength. As long as it's not excessive, don't worry about it.

Larry
SF

Welcome, campinfool! My 110/119 strengths are about the same as yours and variable. I've had 119 for almost 8 years (110 and 61.5 added last Dec.) and I can honestly say I only lose signals 2-3 times a year for maybe up to a couple of minutes during the worst downpours. Like larrykenney mentioned, a dropout in my case usually preceeds the actual downpour - one way I've come to know that we're in for a doozy !! I only once or twice experienced a similar dropout due to a snow squall.

Otherwise, no problem, even on heavily cloudy days. Weather-related dropouts probably can't be totally eliminated (uness your sky is always clear!) but the probablility can certainly be minimized by carefully pointing the dish(es) for best signal. In the case of multiple signal dishes, that usually means a compromise. So if you're concerned, have someone (you can do it yourself!) optimize for best signal. But I'd wait a while to see if there is indeed a problem. I don't think you'll have any issues with the strengths you reported, but YMMV...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts