Question about "new" service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jojofsu75

Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
FL
We have had Directv at our home since 2003. I really want a new dvr and I saw the new customer discounts online. My question is can I cancel and sign up in my wife's name at the same address.
If I can do I need to cancel first and then call and sign up for new service. Something tells me I would have to do this but, I really don't want to not have service for a long time.

I was going to switch to Dish because I called and they wouldn't offer any upgrade/discount and we have always paid on time.
Anyway, dish came out and told us that they cant get the satellite that our local hd stations are on so I had to cancel the order (we are in a very wooded area)

Has anyone had any experience with this or is it even possible?

We have had Directv at our home since 2003. I really want a new dvr and I saw the new customer discounts online. My question is can I cancel and sign up in my wife's name at the same address.
If I can do I need to cancel first and then call and sign up for new service. Something tells me I would have to do this but, I really don't want to not have service for a long time.

I was going to switch to Dish because I called and they wouldn't offer any upgrade/discount and we have always paid on time.
Anyway, dish came out and told us that they cant get the satellite that our local hd stations are on so I had to cancel the order (we are in a very wooded area)

Has anyone had any experience with this or is it even possible?

You currently have D* and want to turn it off so you can upgrade to a DVR ?
You should be able to get a DVR for $ 99 any day of the week.
What kind of discount were you looking for ?
Have you looked at your Online account and see what is offered to you at this point for a DVR ?

Not sure that discontinuing your service would be a good idea, particularly if thats the only reason.

I have heard of people turning service on in thier spouse name, but that is always when service has been off for quite some time.
I would go this route as a last resort.
Even then, you have to hope that they don't go by ADDRESS for the account info.

StoneCold may have some more solid info on this issue.

When I first upgraded from SD to HD service Directv was offering free receivers to new customers. I emailed D**** and asked if they'd treat existing customers with the same deal. The response was a number to call. The answer was I got the HD receiver and Slimline dish installed for $15 shipping cost. The moral is to ask. Good possibility the outcome would be favorable since you've been a customer for 7 yrs.
Last yr for "being a long term customer" I got a free upgrade to a DVR.

You may be able to get away w/ this. But your are not supposed to. Someone who lives at the same address where service is currently installed is not a "new" customer. You would have to wait 2 years before you would qualify as a "new" customer. If you try it and use the same phone# or credit card it will be flagged right away. Even if you use different info you may be flagged before activation. If flagged you probally won't get discounts or free equip. upgrades.
Bottomline is >>>>It's not worth it!!!
Check out Dnet offer then call Direc and ask about the upgrade you want. If they say its gonna cost $$$. Ask if you are under contract. If not and they won't budge on price then quote them what DN is offering. Maybe threaten to cancel if necessary. This will get you transfered to Retetion dept which can offer you deals the regular service agent can't. This is a much better way to work the system then taking a chance on setting up a new act, then getting rug jerked out from under you. And if the DN offer is more atractive and you are not under contact..you may want to go ahead and switch anyway. Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)