Question about New Setup using RVU and Genie..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaveTheBrit

Original poster
Mar 22, 2018
Near Houston, Tx
I am creating a new installation - HR44/500 genie matched to a Samsung HD Series 9 (9000).

The TV has RVU (Directv ready).

I will use a wireless Internet connection

1)Apart from plugging it in and connecting it to the Genie, as the main/only TV, do I need any extra equipment or configuration on either the DVR OR the TV to enable use of RVU??

2)I will soon get another "Directv Ready" Samsung TV that I will install in another room about 30 feet away from the Genie. I am assured that as it has RVU then I do not need to pay for a Genie-Mini.

Again will I need ANY equipment or Configuration to make the RVU work.

If the answer to either question is YES, what would be the symptoms I would see when trying to use the setup??

You only need to connect the tvs to a splitter that the Genie is run off of. You will have to pay $7/month for each tv that is using rvu just as if it had a dvr or receiver or client connected to it.

If you're getting a new installation I recommend getting a DIRECTV mini client vs using the RVU client. Past experience has show that the TV manufacture will stop sending out software updates after a year or so which might be a problem. Plus you then have a finger pointing problem if you do have any issues where DIRECTV says it's your TV and the TV says it's DIRECTV. Since you're paying $7/month anyway if you can get a free mini client I say go with that.

Reactions: Jimbo and harshness
You only need to connect the tvs to a splitter that the Genie is run off of. You will have to pay $7/month for each tv that is using rvu just as if it had a dvr or receiver or client connected to it.

CHIP !!!!
Not sure what you mean by a 'splitter'? Sorry to sound dumb but :-
What is it splitting (TV Service, Internet or what)?
Where would it go when I currently just have the main TV
And where would it go when I get the 2nd TV ??

The way I read the directv docs abot RVU, it sounded simple in that the 1st TV would connect automatically due to RVU, and the 2nd TV connected wirelessly to the DVR hence the fact that I didn't need a Genie-Mini.
But THEN I started googling forums etc., and, although some articles are a few years old, it seemed as though even with the first TV I needed to both configure DVR and TV - AND even have some kind of connector !!! Somebody even mentioned that the Directv installer needed to install something extra for me...

btw - I'm still struggling with OnDemand giving "currently unavailable" error so my troubleshooting mind started to wonder if it was an RVU configuration problem...
btw-2 - THANKS for replying...

CHIP !!!!
Not sure what you mean by a 'splitter'? Sorry to sound dumb but :-
What is it splitting (TV Service, Internet or what)?
Where would it go when I currently just have the main TV
And where would it go when I get the 2nd TV ??

The way I read the directv docs abot RVU, it sounded simple in that the 1st TV would connect automatically due to RVU, and the 2nd TV connected wirelessly to the DVR hence the fact that I didn't need a Genie-Mini.
But THEN I started googling forums etc., and, although some articles are a few years old, it seemed as though even with the first TV I needed to both configure DVR and TV - AND even have some kind of connector !!! Somebody even mentioned that the Directv installer needed to install something extra for me...

btw - I'm still struggling with OnDemand giving "currently unavailable" error so my troubleshooting mind started to wonder if it was an RVU configuration problem...
btw-2 - THANKS for replying...
Follow the cable where it comes from the dish. You should find a splitter somewhere. It's possible you don't have a splitter if the cable goes to the power inserter and then to the HR44. If not you need to add one in order to run a cable to the tv that will use the rvu function.

Follow the cable where it comes from the dish. You should find a splitter somewhere. It's possible you don't have a splitter if the cable goes to the power inserter and then to the HR44. If not you need to add one in order to run a cable to the tv that will use the rvu function.
And he can use the same splitter when comes time to connect the second TV ...

And he can use the same splitter when comes time to connect the second TV ...

OK you have me a little confused (actually a lot) - sorry but I'm in my 70s, not too technically smart and been using Xfinity all along until now..
Are you saying that I need to run 'another' cable from this 'splitter' to my current one and only TV?
If so is that why my TV cannot see the Internet?
My TV is so new that all it has are HDMI and a couple of usb ports..
Are you also saying that when I get a 2nd TV I will have to run a coax out of my main living area, up the hallway and into a second room!! As I say I'm very confused and not at all familiar with directv equipent and terminology
Cheers
Dave

I'm closer to 70 than I'd like to be so no worries there Dave.
There should be a coax connector on the tv, the same one you would connect an antenna to. To use the rvu in the tv you need to connect a coax from a splitter to the tv. There will also be one from the splitter to the HR44. If running an additional cable is difficult, you can put a splitter near the HR44 and from that to the tv, but it must be a Directv swm type splitter and there are considerations for where the power inserter will go. You might want to have Direct take care of this.

Reactions: Jimbo
I'm closer to 70 than I'd like to be so no worries there Dave.
There should be a coax connector on the tv, the same one you would connect an antenna to. To use the rvu in the tv you need to connect a coax from a splitter to the tv. There will also be one from the splitter to the HR44. If running an additional cable is difficult, you can put a splitter near the HR44 and from that to the tv, but it must be a Directv swm type splitter and there are considerations for where the power inserter will go. You might want to have Direct take care of this.

Thanks Chip - not sure which is worse - figuring this all out or trying to do my taxes !!
So again do I need this splitter & coax with my current one and only TV? Could this be the reason that my TV cannot connect to the internet even though it connects to my network?
ALSO - I think I read somewhere that rather than using RVU on the second TV I could get a 'wireless' Genie-Mini for that TV and I THINK I READ that would avoid the LONG Coax cable??? If so, apart from the obvious, what's the difference between a 'wireless' genie-mini and 'wired' genie-mini??
Don't worry - although frustrated with things like this, I'm really enjoying retired life

Thanks Chip - not sure which is worse - figuring this all out or trying to do my taxes !!
So again do I need this splitter & coax with my current one and only TV? Could this be the reason that my TV cannot connect to the internet even though it connects to my network?
ALSO - I think I read somewhere that rather than using RVU on the second TV I could get a 'wireless' Genie-Mini for that TV and I THINK I READ that would avoid the LONG Coax cable??? If so, apart from the obvious, what's the difference between a 'wireless' genie-mini and 'wired' genie-mini??
Don't worry - although frustrated with things like this, I'm really enjoying retired life
Yes, you could use a Wireless Client, as long as your not trying to do 4k.
Yes, that would eliminate the need for the long coax cable.

Technically, you don't need the splitter with only 1 TV.

I can't wait to retire ...
At least I keep telling myself that !
Never know if I can afford to Not work though.

Like most people, you will just KNOW when its time to retire! I too worried about finances UNTIL I decided that my kids were doing well and therefore I didn't need to leave them anything - hahahaha
With your expertise I'm sure you could find a 'part-time' job if needed !
THANKS AGAIN
Dave

Reactions: Jimbo
You don't need a splitter if you have only one tv, only if you add a wired client. The power inserter will be somewhere along the coax between the dish and the HR44.

Just to point out you will not get 4K with this setup. You would need an HR54 or an HS17 server not an HR44.

You don't need a splitter if you have only one tv, only if you add a wired client. The power inserter will be somewhere along the coax between the dish and the HR44.
Just to point out you will not get 4K with this setup. You would need an HR54 or an HS17 server not an HR44.
I don't think the OP mentioned 4k at all .... just trying to use the RVU apparently.

From what I'm finding out, the RVU is connected via Ethernet (at least this is how a friend did) coming from a Deca unit.

Interesting of other things I have found ... As for Sony TV's I know the 2016 and 2017s (D and Eversions) had the DTV Ready app on them ...
However, I was just looking at the new F series XBR900 and it did Not have the Directv RVU app on it.
Now I don't know if thats the way it is with All the New Sony's this year, but that was one of the Top models, so you would think it would have it on it if its available.

From what I'm finding out, the RVU is connected via Ethernet (at least this is how a friend did) coming from a Deca unit.

Interesting of other things I have found ... As for Sony TV's I know the 2016 and 2017s (D and Eversions) had the DTV Ready app on them ...
However, I was just looking at the new F series XBR900 and it did Not have the Directv RVU app on it.
Now I don't know if thats the way it is with All the New Sony's this year, but that was one of the Top models, so you would think it would have it on it if its available.
So the rvu tv connects via ethernet, good to know!

When I try RVU on a Samsung tv, it says that I need a wired network connection to use RVU. TV is on WiFi and it detects the Genie through WiFi

When I try RVU on a Samsung tv, it says that I need a wired network connection to use RVU. TV is on WiFi and it detects the Genie through WiFi
Thats pretty much what we found as well, was just playing to see if it would.
Only bad thing was he then had to run an ethernet cable from one room to the other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts