Question about Orby

Mr. Sheep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
United States
Considering switching to it from Sling. It has some channels that Sling doesn't have. Is it worth it? Also, do the prices increase like most other DBS and cable services?

Edit: I noticed they don't have sports channels on Orby. I don't personally care about sports, but my dad does, so we would just get that OTA.

Oh also, does their receiver also work with FTA channels or just Orby channels?

Edit: And another thing: does their dish come with a motor?

If you have broadband (>=25Mbps), you might be better served to look at one of the many streaming services (or a lesser level of SlingTV).

The equipment is a lot cheaper (especially if you need more than one receiver) with streaming and everyone's prices will go up in time.

Yep, I'd even expect the streaming services to have annual price increases.
Some have had more than one in a year. The point is that you can't expect to escape them with any pay service (and perhaps even some that are currently "free").

Contracts with established providers usually last two or three years, but Orby is only a few weeks old so it is hard to say what their contracts look like.

Some have had more than one in a year. The point is that you can't expect to escape them with any pay service (and perhaps even some that are currently "free").

Contracts with established providers usually last two or three years, but Orby is only a few weeks old so it is hard to say what their contracts look like.
Their website says they have no contracts.

Reactions: danristheman
Their website says they have no contracts.
They don't have contracts with their subscribers (other than you're stuck with their equipment if you opt out) but they certainly do with the content providers. They are the ones that ask for more at every contract term expiration and each time the provider has to renew an expired contract, they ask for another offspring and perhaps a few limbs.

Reactions: NYDutch
On the plus side, since Orby is so new, I expect they'll hold the price line as long as possible to attract and retain subscribers.
Orby is laying out the same for their data traffic if they have just one subscriber of 20 million. That's not something you can sustain forever without making some profit along the way.

Reactions: NYDutch
If you have broadband (>=25Mbps), you might be better served to look at one of the many streaming services (or a lesser level of SlingTV).

The equipment is a lot cheaper (especially if you need more than one receiver) with streaming and everyone's prices will go up in time.

Not to mention, the PQ would likely be much better with a streaming service since Orby doesn’t provide HD resolutions on all channels.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Orby is laying out the same for their data traffic if they have just one subscriber of 20 million. That's not something you can sustain forever without making some profit along the way.

I agree, but I have no idea how their financials look and how long they can sustain losses while they build a viable subscriber base. Holding the line will be one way of building that base, but of course they will need to see a profit at some point, and their investors will need to have some idea of when they can expect to see a return..

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I agree, but I have no idea how their financials look and how long they can sustain losses while they build a viable subscriber base.
Consider that they probably aren't yet getting "most favored nation" pricing on their content like the incumbents do. Maybe they've been given some introductory pricing but that doesn't last forever and contracts for that kind of pricing may be considerably shorter than the norm.

Consider that they probably aren't yet getting "most favored nation" pricing on their content like the incumbents do. Maybe they've been given some introductory pricing but that doesn't last forever and contracts for that kind of pricing may be considerably shorter than the norm.

I agree that's all certainly likely, but I stand by my statement, "I expect they'll hold the price line as long as possible to attract and retain subscribers." That could be 2 years or 2 months. None of us knows...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)