question about saving skew on each tp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fta4life

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Beaumont,Texas
I am having a little skew issue., The receiver I am using it an uniden presiedent and i am using it for both motor control and polarity. I cant get into menus because the video will not show up on my tv for the analog receiver so what i did by using the front panel was program all sat locations and just use the remote to call each sat, however the remote will not let me adjust skew, it has to be done on the front panel.

My question is do most analog receivers let you change skew with the remote? This one doesnt and I notice on most sats if i barely adjust skew it will make the signal jump 7-8 points, however every time I go to the other polarity and then back to that polarity the skew goes back to where it was, a couple notches back the other way. Is there a way to save skew on each tp? When I hit memo it saves location but not the skew.

This remote has fine tune on it but that is for ku and does not change skew, funny it wouldnt have skew on the remote. I dont wanna have to get up every time I am scanning a sat and manually change the skew, I only need to go a couple clicks to the - side and save it if possible.

thanks

No, this receiver here will not work on the tv screen, just audio. I think the video board is out, but I dont use it for signal anyways as I plug the lnb from the dish straight to the micro and then just run the motor and polarity off the analog receiver.

What I was wondering is do most other analog receivers have a way to change the skew but then save or store the offset. This one does not and also do most others let you change skew with the remote as this one doesnt.

I'm curious about this remote skew adjustment. Do you mean actually alter the LNB skew without going out and twisting it in its bracket? Is it a mechanical function or is this an electronic change to the LNB?
I have never seem a remote skew adj on a sat receiver.

The Uniden President was a high end IRD back in the late 80's or early 90's, if I remember correctly. At that time, a high end receiver would definitely save all the parameters required to bring in the channel desired off of the transponder, yes, skew, and even picture and volume preferences. These would be set up in a menu specifically designed for it. However, it did require a TV to see the menus. Usually these receivers had an NTSC video output with stereo audio, a baseband video output(sometimes), and an RF output selectable to channel 3 or 4. Either of these could connect to the TV. They should be useable even if the Videocipher Module is not in the receiver.

yeah the funny thing is when i connect my ku dish up to the ku input it will show the fuzzy screen, as there is no analog up there for ku, however it still wont pull the menu or any other text up on the screen. on the c band side it just stays black with audio, i was able to listen to the g-16 99 tp 16 preacher but no video, even got the c span on 131 and shopping on 135, but no video.

The Uniden I have saves the skew position for each satellite; unless you did not set it, where it stays at zero. To change it there is an up/down on the receiver front buttons, and to save (on my 7700) you hold the sat save button (on the front panel) until it blinks, then release it. Should be the same button you use for saving the satellite position.
My Uniden receiver is almost toast, have to wait for about 5 minutes for the picture to show up after turning it on... and then the picture is really poor even though I get a really good signal from the TP. Not much analog anymore and I have not used it for several months other than to move the dish. The unit in the previous post will be replacing it. I have several old analog receivers, some with no motor control, I might still keep one handy just in case there are some interesting analog feeds.

I am having a little skew issue., The receiver I am using it an uniden presiedent and i am using it for both motor control and polarity. I cant get into menus because the video will not show up on my tv for the analog receiver so what i did by using the front panel was program all sat locations and just use the remote to call each sat, however the remote will not let me adjust skew, it has to be done on the front panel.

My question is do most analog receivers let you change skew with the remote? This one doesnt and I notice on most sats if i barely adjust skew it will make the signal jump 7-8 points, however every time I go to the other polarity and then back to that polarity the skew goes back to where it was, a couple notches back the other way. Is there a way to save skew on each tp? When I hit memo it saves location but not the skew.

This remote has fine tune on it but that is for ku and does not change skew, funny it wouldnt have skew on the remote. I dont wanna have to get up every time I am scanning a sat and manually change the skew, I only need to go a couple clicks to the - side and save it if possible.

thanks
You really need to be able to see the menus to get stuff set right.Have you tried all the outputs,coax ch3/4,video out,s-video(not sure if that would have one),even the baseband(you should see snow/video but you wouldn't be able to see the menus there).
If the VCII module is still in the receiver take it out,it's worthless and could be your video problem.
Without being able to see the menus and settings you're just flying blind.

yeah I save sats with the mem button on the receiver. I tried to save the skew but it still goes back to 0. For instance on the 99 sat on the abc net feeds on the vertical side when i drive the dish there it is at 73-74 quality, even bumping the dish which is good and actually very high on the microhd, however if i hit the - skew button 2-3 times it will jump up to 83-85 pct which is as high as i have seen anything on the microhd and then i switch to horizontal to view a h channel, then once i go back to vertical and the abc channels they are back to 73-74, the reason i want to adjust it is because if they can improve that much there may be weaker feeds out there i am missing because of that 2-3 notches on the skew, therefore i want to save them.

is there a way I can go out to the polarator and manually adjust it by hand? I dont want to try to turn the feedhorn.

I'm curious about this remote skew adjustment. Do you mean actually alter the LNB skew without going out and twisting it in its bracket? Is it a mechanical function or is this an electronic change to the LNB?
I have never seem a remote skew adj on a sat receiver.
He's using an LNB mounted on a polarotor feedhorn,not an LNBF.Polarity is changed by a small motor connected to a probe in the feedhorn,skew can be adjusted for each polarity and each sat by the old analog receiver.Your typical fta/dvb receiver can not adjust skew or operate a polarotor,Pansats being the exception.

yeah I save sats with the mem button on the receiver. I tried to save the skew but it still goes back to 0. For instance on the 99 sat on the abc net feeds on the vertical side when i drive the dish there it is at 73-74 quality, even bumping the dish which is good and actually very high on the microhd, however if i hit the - skew button 2-3 times it will jump up to 83-85 pct which is as high as i have seen anything on the microhd and then i switch to horizontal to view a h channel, then once i go back to vertical and the abc channels they are back to 73-74, the reason i want to adjust it is because if they can improve that much there may be weaker feeds out there i am missing because of that 2-3 notches on the skew, therefore i want to save them.

is there a way I can go out to the polarator and manually adjust it by hand? I dont want to try to turn the feedhorn.
The only thing you could do out at the dish is twist the feedhorn.Or get a Cband LNBF and do away with the polarotor.

well i have figured something out, remember I am blind here on the screen, but I tuned in the skew on 99 to get the 85 pct quality, I saved it with the mem button on the panel, now when I switch to horizontal and back it goes back to the original 74 pct, i press call on the remote and boom it goes to the 85 pct it was saved at! lol, it is like when you go back to the sat you have to hit call after you get there one more time to then change the polarity back to what you saved it as. weird. but it works. I tuned in the polarity on the h side on the ses 87 sat on the rtv mix and got them up to 74-75 and saved it, i switched to v and back to h and hit call and boom, back to 75 pct. I know alot of people are probably thinking the few pct doesnt matter, but I have been on sats where the strong tps where 75 and the weak ones were not viewable, however I will get the strong ones up to 79-80 and then boom the weak ones are working good. so yeah to me i try to get every ounce of quality i can on each and every bird.

I know alot of people are probably thinking the few pct doesnt matter, but I have been on sats where the strong tps where 75 and the weak ones were not viewable, however I will get the strong ones up to 79-80 and then boom the weak ones are working good. so yeah to me i try to get every ounce of quality i can on each and every bird.

It can be the difference of being watchable or not watchable when the weather is bad. I agree, every bit of + quality you can get is worth trying for.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts