Question about signal..

Pyrophoric

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Ok, so I just got my dish installed but I really dont see any better picture over the local cable I was getting, infact I see kinda worse...

There is this background wave coming through from right to left and while it cant be seen all the time its there enough to get annoying.

My questions is could the signal I am getting, 81-85 on 119 and 92-96 on 110, be causing that or is what I am seeing normal? Someone told me that 90 is an OK range but 100 was best and 80 was a problem.

Btw, its not something most people seem to notice. A couple friends of mine couldnt even see it while one could. It mostly comes up duing times with brighter colors(blue, white, yellow etc).

Thx ahead of time.

Is it like that on all TV's? What type of receiver do you have? Have you checked all the connections? What transponders are you checking for signal levels on 119&110?

I'd say that is most likely originating in your receiver or the cable(s) from the receiver to the TV. If your signal strength is too low, it won't produce anything like that. Instead, you'll just get stuttering picture/sound, and blocking ("pixellation"). If it's too too low, you'll just get a black screen and very soon the accompanying "Acquiring signal" feature.

The problem just sounds like video interference leaking in somewhere--bad cable, weak connectors, weak internal device connections, etc.

Where are you located, what dish do you have, was this professionally installed? 119 transponder 11 & 12 I would expect signals in excess of 100 for a general statement. Above 70% is acceptable for DISH but the higher the signal the more margin you have for rain fade.

I only have one tv, I am using the 522 V.232 with dish 500 pro I think, I dunno which transponders I am using I can check when I get home :) and yeah I checked all the connections :)

I am in Florida and it was pro installed today :)

Thx for all the help guys :)

Pyrophoric said:
My questions is could the signal I am getting, 81-85 on 119 and 92-96 on 110, be causing that or is what I am seeing normal? Someone told me that 90 is an OK range but 100 was best and 80 was a problem.
Thx ahead of time.
That signal is low if you reading are taken from 119 and 110 transponder 11 and 12. I have a 522 and on 119 T11 115, 110 T11 103. How is you line of sight? As for the picture quality is it the same on TV2? My son a had a older model TV when dish was installed and the PQ was bad switched sets and the PQ was great that might be a to rule out problems.

Well, I dunno what to think now hehe

Um, checking my signal on 119 t 11 it started at 82 but said wrong sat so I exited and when I came back it was 99, same for the others. I am noticing that the 522 has a lot of problems getting the sats right and I have to exit over and over to get it right.

What you are seeing is an analog item, most likely if you still have cable or off air on the same channel or co-channel of what your RF out of the box is. Or the rf is getting into the A/V connectors. On digital satellites -(what the dish picks up)- this background interference is not possible. It is not signal strength. (On old analog satellites, you could see this if the polarization of the lnb was out).

How do you have the box connected to the TV? If you are using a coax cable and have the TV tuned to 3 or 4, it's likely some interference leaking in. If your TV has the capability use the S-Video or the composite connections.

Barry Erick said:
What you are seeing is an analog item, most likely if you still have cable or off air on the same channel or co-channel of what your RF out of the box is. Or the rf is getting into the A/V connectors. On digital satellites -(what the dish picks up)- this background interference is not possible. It is not signal strength. (On old analog satellites, you could see this if the polarization of the lnb was out).
A good way of restating my above post. :)

I was wondering why everyone was still focusing on signal strength... :confused:

I have seen some VCR's cause some weird things to happen on the TV screen. Are you going thru a VCR by any chance? I know you have a DVR, but some people like to still use a VCR to record from the DVR for permanent storage.

Well, I live in Florida and your signal level should be around 110 on 119 sat and 100 on 110 sat at transporder 11. Your signal is a little weak but that is not the problem. It could be the receiver after you check all the connections and settings.
:)

Hi josem3, welcome to SatelliteGuys.US! :)

Pyrophoric, does the problem show up on both TV1 and TV2? Not that the answer can tell us anything conclusive (unless you also tell us exactly how everything is connected), but it will give some more information.

And I suggest you try as many of the connections as you can:
  • TV1 & TV2 RF (coax cable, channel 3/4 and channel 21-60 respectively)
  • TV1 S-Video
  • TV1 & TV2 Composite Video (single yellow RCA connector)
See if the video problem is evident on all those or worse on certain ones, etc. And I assume you see that on all channels? How about in full-screen OSD (like the system info screen)?

I havent tried s vid or the others yet. Atm, I have the dish coming into the 522 and the 522 to the tv. It is on single mode so there is no second tv.

I dunno what to think atm cause it hasnt been doing it as of lately but now I have a new little bug. Its nothing major but when the system powers off for the auto update each night the box resets the single/dual mode. So, each day I have to change it back to single mode..