Question about the Price Increase

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
Will Dish be raising the price for customers who sign up between right now and 1/31? I'd be pretty ticked if that was me..

good question. that would be pretty crappy to sign up and a week later have a price increase. It wouldn't make good business sense.

By that logic, they prolly will haha. I noticed on DirectTVs site that they only gaurantee a price for 12 months than it goes up, this would tick me off. So if they did it a week later.....i'd be fuming :mad::mad::mad::mad:

pfan

Price Increase

Yes - I signed up on Dec. 11th. Before that, this site answered my question about that, also. I was expecting a couple of bucks more in Feb. Then I learned shortly after signing up that it would be $7 or $8 more.

I know ... "prices and programming subject to change" ... but that will be a good price increase.

My value proposition vs. cable went away - at sign up I would be a few bucks less, in Feb. I will be a few bucks more. Now that I have it a month, it is worth a few bucks more.

Actually, I'm wondering about this - my service was just installed January 2nd, less than a month before the price increase goes into effect. Is there any precedent for Dish offering some sort of adjustment or courtesy credit in such a situation? The price increase was certainly never mentioned to me when I was scheduling or setting up service.

I only ask because I saw that D* (in early 2008) offered a courtesy adjustment to their recent subscribers who were going to be affected by the price increase - and I've heard a lot of stories of people just calling in and getting some amount of $ off their bills with Dish, so it apparently does happen.

My plan is the DDA TurboHD Bronze, which will be going up to 39.99. Honestly, $5 a month isn't going to be a deal-killer, but yes, I am pretty annoyed that the price I pay will be increasing on my second bill... hence, my asking here what you all would advise. I don't want to sound presumptous asking about it, but well, I don't think this kind of thing would be that uncommon?

Thanks for any advice!

Last year I had service installed on Jan. 21 and my bill went up in Feb. I was not told there would be a price increase and I did not know a company could raise the price while you're under contract. I initially got service with a standard reciever, no DVR because I did not want to pay the added DVR fee. With the price increase and the new DVR advantage packages there was not much price difference between having a DVR and not having one. Considering I had DISH for such a short time I called and asked if I could switch to DVR Adv. I was told by the 2 or 3 reps I spoke to that I would have to pay $100 for a tech to come out and swap out the reciever for a DVR. I explained that I just had my service installed and had I known about the price and package changes I would've gotten a DVR upfront. I thought my request was reasonable, I wasn't asking for a price adjustment but it did not matter, the reps did not seem to care, and I was fuming :mad:, Well thanks to this site I found out about the CEO dept. and emailed them. I got a response back pretty quickly and they agreed that I could switch to DVR adv for NO charge and they sent a tech out pretty quickly. When the tech came I told him of my dilemma with DISH and he was pretty appalled.

So yes, unless anything has changed (and it sounds like it has not) expect a price increase on your second bill. I agree that it seems like really poor business practice to raise rates on new customers, there should be some kind of grace period in my opinion.

sending email to ceo as pugmom did is the way to go. They gave me and many others a square deal to correct faulty decisions of csr's and techies.

At times in the past, E* has guaranteed prices when subs signed up. More recently, this has not been the case. I think it's poor business policy for a subscription service to not guarantee prices for new subs for at least 6 months or a year, but I'm not running the show.

Well I'm one of those guys that's going to be changing my programming here soon to HD and am not to thrilled to get hit with an increase that soon, but, it really doesn't surprise me as the cost difference between the two companies similar 200/HD DVR package definately favors Dish (Not counting the 12mth. promo price that Direct has currently) I have a tendency to look at what the package costs 'after' the deals are gone. And now that difference is about $13 a mth. Will be interesting to see if it remains that much after BOTH companies raise their price. ;)

Well I'm one of those guys that's going to be changing my programming here soon to HD and am not to thrilled to get hit with an increase that soon, but, it really doesn't surprise me as the cost difference between the two companies similar 200/HD DVR package definately favors Dish (Not counting the 12mth. promo price that Direct has currently) I have a tendency to look at what the package costs 'after' the deals are gone. And now that difference is about $13 a mth. Will be interesting to see if it remains that much after BOTH companies raise their price. ;)
The only problem with not counting the promo price is the savings for the 12 months outweigh the later 2nd year costs. For example, if directv(or anyone) is giving you are promo price saving 20.00 a month for a year, the first year you save 240.00. After the promo period is over, you say directv( or whoever) is 13.00 more. So for the 2nd year i pay directv 13.00 per month more=156.00 more. I still am ahead 84.00 after 2 years.(240-156=84). Now after 2 years my contract is up and i am free to shop around.

Hmm, I don't have any problem like pugmoms - we already have the 722 DVR on EA service, and are happy with that. My, I guess I would say annoyance, is just based on the price increase on the second bill. I seriously think bothering ceo over that is a bit much!

I may, however, play CSR roulette a bit - maybe I can get them to credit me the $5 a month difference for a couple months or something. Is there an "official" Dish notification of the new price increases that I can cite to CSR's who may not even know about the price increase yet? I know it was in the Charlie Chat and I've seen the slides, but a CSR won't have seen that and may not even know what a Charlie Chat is!

So what is to prevent Dish from raising the price $15, or $20, or why not $100? If I'm "stuck" in a 2 year committment, am I helpless? How can dish just change the price whenever they feel like it?

Looking back over the years that Dish started offering new customer sign-up promotions, the 2/01/09 offerings are by far the best in memory. Dish Direct will not speak of these new promos till Feb. Your local dealer should be informed of the Q-1 benefits and if they are honest, will tell you to WAIT....................................check it out....got NOTHING to loose.

So what is to prevent Dish from raising the price $15, or $20, or why not $100? If I'm "stuck" in a 2 year committment, am I helpless? How can dish just change the price whenever they feel like it?

There comes a point where it might be cheaper to exercise the cancellation clause and pay the fees. If you have a year left under contract, cancellation would cost $120. If they jack the price $20 per month, your payback would be fairly quick assuming you had an alternative place to go for service.

Sadly, I started looking at Dish in mid-December, before they were really offering anything 'special' - so I got to pay $50 for a 722 and didn't really get anything other than the one-time first-bill credit :(

Wish I'd found this site first! I guess I'll start playing CSR roulette for some kind of discount re: the price increase when it gets a bit closer to the 1st and maybe I see an actual press release or something.

So what is to prevent Dish from raising the price $15, or $20, or why not $100? If I'm "stuck" in a 2 year committment, am I helpless?
You can get out of your contract at any time by paying a cancellation fee -- it starts at $240 and decreases by $10/mo until your 24 month commitment is done.

Competition keeps Dish from raising their prices too much, if they go too high customers will bail to alternate services like cable or DirecTV. Content providers keep demanding higher fees, and that shows up as price increases across the board. For example:

Cox announces spate of price increases effective Nov. 1 | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Comcast Systems Eyes 3.7% Rate Hike - 10/13/2008 8:09:00 AM - Multichannel News

Mediacom cable rates on the rise

I'm not thrilled about the increases myself, but even with the price bump I'm still paying less than I would for comparable programming from DirecTV or Comcast.

The only problem with not counting the promo price is the savings for the 12 months outweigh the later 2nd year costs. For example, if directv(or anyone) is giving you are promo price saving 20.00 a month for a year, the first year you save 240.00. After the promo period is over, you say directv( or whoever) is 13.00 more. So for the 2nd year i pay directv 13.00 per month more=156.00 more. I still am ahead 84.00 after 2 years.(240-156=84). Now after 2 years my contract is up and i am free to shop around.

You are correct and I understand this, however, I'm one of those guys that will probably stick with Dish for quite a while (I've been a customer for 12 years now) and look really long term. But, your right, by then the tables could easily be turned. ;)

Competition keeps Dish from raising their prices too much, if they go too high customers will bail to alternate services like cable or DirecTV. Content providers keep demanding higher fees, and that shows up as price increases across the board. For example:

Cox announces spate of price increases effective Nov. 1 | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Comcast Systems Eyes 3.7% Rate Hike - 10/13/2008 8:09:00 AM - Multichannel News

Mediacom cable rates on the rise

I'm not thrilled about the increases myself, but even with the price bump I'm still paying less than I would for comparable programming from DirecTV or Comcast.

Ditto here in Morganton, NC...over the past couple of weeks I've been exploring options. To match as close as possible my current package, I will pay about $15/month more for cable plus about $100 for installation and other startup fees. DirecTV is about $3 more though it is a few more channels I'm not currently getting. So, basically DISH is still a slightly better bargain. I have DVR advantage w/ AT200 plus one 2-room basic receiver, and the protection plan. With taxes, my bill after the price increase will be about $72 -- for me, this is just too much for PayTV when I only really view about 5-10 different channels. And, when will it stop? Pay-TV providers blame the program providers -- our country is all about greed these days. In another five years, will we be paying close to $100 for a non-premium pay-TV package? For now, to save about $18 dollars per month I plan to cancel the DVR, the protection plan, and locals -- I get great reception from my rooftop antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts