Question about the Price Increase

Looking back over the years that Dish started offering new customer sign-up promotions, the 2/01/09 offerings are by far the best in memory. Dish Direct will not speak of these new promos till Feb. Your local dealer should be informed of the Q-1 benefits and if they are honest, will tell you to WAIT....................................check it out....got NOTHING to loose.

Is there a new promotion starting february 1st? I haven't heard what those are. If they're really good I'll just wait a couple weeks.

Looking back over the years that Dish started offering new customer sign-up promotions, the 2/01/09 offerings are by far the best in memory. Dish Direct will not speak of these new promos till Feb. Your local dealer should be informed of the Q-1 benefits and if they are honest, will tell you to WAIT....................................check it out....got NOTHING to loose.

To be honest ... I am not sure if I agree with that ...

I signed upgraded to HD Jan 2008. In February all of the promotions changed. By signing up in January, I only had an 18 month commitment. If I had waited a few weeks, my commitment would have been 24 months. If memory serves the prices for the receivers went up too.

There were also a few "hints" here in the forums where people "hinted" that the deals would get worse ...

Deals will get better ... deals will get worse ... you will always be waiting for the "perfect" deal ... just get the best that you can now and go for it.

To be honest ... I am not sure if I agree with that ...

I signed upgraded to HD Jan 2008. In February all of the promotions changed. By signing up in January, I only had an 18 month commitment. If I had waited a few weeks, my commitment would have been 24 months. If memory serves the prices for the receivers went up too.

There were also a few "hints" here in the forums where people "hinted" that the deals would get worse ...

Deals will get better ... deals will get worse ... you will always be waiting for the "perfect" deal ... just get the best that you can now and go for it.

As previously posted......since the state of the economy is "unique", Dish has decided to make the best new account offer never previously made......WAIT TILL FEB 1, IF the account is new.

The bottom line is what the new account will pay for the programming and hardware between Feb 1 '09 & Jan 31 '10. When ANYONE learns how much they will save over that time span should they WAIT to sign up on or after Feb 1 rather than signing up before that date, it's A NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck, I signed up for Dish, lo these many years ago, because the first year was $9.99/mo.

As previously posted......since the state of the economy is "unique", Dish has decided to make the best new account offer never previously made......WAIT TILL FEB 1, IF the account is new.

The bottom line is what the new account will pay for the programming and hardware between Feb 1 '09 & Jan 31 '10. When ANYONE learns how much they will save over that time span should they WAIT to sign up on or after Feb 1 rather than signing up before that date, it's A NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!

Well there you go ... it appears that those in the know ... for this year anyway ... are advising to wait ... enjoy either way ... :up

Any hints I am sure would be appreciated ... ;)

On Feburary 1st they are doing a price increase as well as having a great new promotion??

Wow! In this economy? Dish is taking a risky road asking their custmers for an extra $10 a month! Also, looking at the list of new HD channels expected to be added in 2009 it is hard to understand the logic that this mediocre list of channels justifies this BIG price jump....just crazy.

Wow! In this economy? Dish is taking a risky road asking their custmers for an extra $10 a month! Also, looking at the list of new HD channels expected to be added in 2009 it is hard to understand the logic that this mediocre list of channels justifies this BIG price jump....just crazy.
Got that right. Furthermore, what if Direct doesn't match their increase?! Got a big loogie hangin' out there...

Got that right. Furthermore, what if Direct doesn't match their increase?! Got a big loogie hangin' out there...
The $10 bump is only on the top HD Only package; DirecTV doesn't have a plan that lines up with that at all, so there is nothing for them to match.

The ATxxx packages are only going up $2-$3, and the price of the $10/$20 HD add-on for those packages aren't changing. I suspect this is the price increase that the majority of folks will see: $2-3.

I look at it this way -- I just converted from the AT250 ($54.99) + Gold HD Add-on ($10/mo) to the TurboHD Gold HD-only package ($39.99). Sure, I save $25/mo, but I also get significantly fewer channels than I had with AT250. If Dish keeps adding HD versions of channels in the ATxxx packages, however, eventually there is going to be no difference between HD-only and ATxxx w/ HD add-on packs -- at some point the prices are going to equalize between the SD+HD and HD-only packages.

The only gripe I have with the price increase is the dvr advantage going up $8.00 bucks. DISH could of cut back on some of their made up fees to off set the increase but the most they could do is combine the dvr with the additional receiver fee and cut off 98 cents. WHOPPEE!!! And now the dvr advantage only saves you 98 cents over the traditional way of subscribing to programming. I was saving 5.98 a month and now only 98 cents. THere is hardly any advantage now left. I also didn't see any new hd channels that were added this last year, to justify the 8.00 increase on top 200 programming with dvr advantage. Even if they did add them , were they worth 8.00 increase?

I can't help but think that Dish's $102 million payout to Tivo in combination with the ongoing legal fees of fighting that battle factor into some of the DVR fee increases.

I know when Dish first started rolling out the DVR fees Charlie made a comment about "leaving money on the table" when other companies were charging for their DVRs. I suspect what started out as a pure profit play turned into a fee of necessity. At the same time though, they're clearly pumping a lot of money into R&D as well, as can be seen with the 622/722 and now the 922 products.

All that money has to come from somewhere.

I can't help but think that Dish's $102 million payout to Tivo in combination with the ongoing legal fees of fighting that battle factor into some of the DVR fee increases.

I know when Dish first started rolling out the DVR fees Charlie made a comment about "leaving money on the table" when other companies were charging for their DVRs. I suspect what started out as a pure profit play turned into a fee of necessity. At the same time though, they're clearly pumping a lot of money into R&D as well, as can be seen with the 622/722 and now the 922 products.

While that is true, some of these increases are pretty large. An $8.00 (16%) increase on a $50 package is pretty high. The Turbo HD Gold is a 25% increase. Are existing subs just making up for the revenue shortfall in attracting new subs. If so, to heck with the new sub deals. If they can't or don't want to pay what everyone else does, let them go to D*. E*'s HD only packs are very competitive unless D* starts offering the same packages. I'm about 95% sure I'm going to be downgrading packages. I have the DDA 200 with Silver HD and that's going up $8. Since I get the locals OTA and have media center PCs, I'm considering dropping the locals and moving to the Turbo HD Bronze or Turbo HD Silver Package and saving $22 - $32 per month. That's Netflix subscription or pays the internet bill.

That money was put into a seperate account when the first verdict was announce 3 or 4 years ago.

I don't think people understand that the increases every year aren't just tied into programming, but cover all aspects of the business (new satellites, employees, programming, R&D, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)