Question about the "Welcome Pack" package

Jigen

Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Hi, new here. I've never had satellite and I'm in the process of getting rid of cable to save money. Some questions:

1) The website shows "Welcome Pack" for $14.99, but I think I there was mention (don't remember if it was here or another site) that there's a $9.99 package if I order without local channels. Is this true?

2) Do I need to buy equipment or is it included?

3) The Duo VIP 222k should allow me to see local channels with the OTA module. How much is it, and how will I experience it (are OTA channels together with satellite channels or will I have to press a button to switch sources)?

Thanks

Hi, new here. I've never had satellite and I'm in the process of getting rid of cable to save money. Some questions:

1) The website shows "Welcome Pack" for $14.99, but I think I there was mention (don't remember if it was here or another site) that there's a $9.99 package if I order without local channels. Is this true?

2) Do I need to buy equipment or is it included?

3) The Duo VIP 222k should allow me to see local channels with the OTA module. How much is it, and how will I experience it (are OTA channels together with satellite channels or will I have to press a button to switch sources)?

Thanks

1) You can no longer opt-out of locals, and the Welcome Pack is $14.99

2) Welcome Pack is not a qualified package for customers in a commitment. With an activation only account, you buy and install the equipment yourself

3) An OTA module through us directly is $50, and channels are incorporated into the guide so you don't have to change inputs, just select an OTA channel

Thanks for the quick reply. Do I have to buy equipment through Dish or can I buy used? Also, will the settings allow me to omit channels I don't like?

you can buy used.

yes the lockouts work great and you can hide locked channels so it wont even show in the guide

Can I have a checklist of what I need to buy? I'm not familiar with dish types and other equipment I may need. And what would be the price of each item if I were to buy directly from Dish?

You can always sign up for a Flex account (no commitment). The cost would depend on what kind of receivers you would like to have installed.

Otherwise, you'll need Dish (preferably DPP with LNB), RG-6 coax, and the receiver(s) (dual tuners need DPP separator)

Be sure to check the receiver numbers with Dish PRIOR to purchasing a used receiver. The receiver may be stolen from Dish or have a Pay per view balance due to Dish on a used receiver.

If you do an Activation Only account, there is no activation fee, just a payment for the first month of service upfront. This means that you would buy, and install everything yourself

If you do a FlexTV account, it's $199 activation, plus the cost of the receiver you want. Also, you would be activated with Dish Family. This would include us installing your system for you

If you google "dish 1000.2", you can get pricing information

Or get a regular DHA24 type of account and get free equipment and free installation.

After your installed, call up and tell them up and tell them you want to go to the welcome pack and they will allow you to downgrade.

They just won't let you take the welcome pack initially when you sign up.

If you don't believe me, I can show you examples of HUNDREDS of customers that I have signed up under a DHA24 plan with a 24 month contract that DISH allowed to downgrade to the welcome pack and charged back my commission.

Every week I get chargebacks for several hundred dollars due to customers downgrading to the Welcome package :(

Bottom line, its not advertised, they say they can't do it, but 90% of the time they will let you downgrade to the welcome pack with no problem.

If you do an Activation Only account, there is no activation fee, just a payment for the first month of service upfront. This means that you would buy, and install everything yourself

If you do a FlexTV account, it's $199 activation, plus the cost of the receiver you want. Also, you would be activated with Dish Family. This would include us installing your system for you

If you google "dish 1000.2", you can get pricing information
CA would be Western Arc but seeing Welcome Pak is SD only why would he need a 1000.2 a dish 500 should get 110 & 119. He wasn't interested in HD locals or even getting locals from DISH.

I recently setup my own equipment for the "Welcome Pack" - - - I got the VIP211K which only controls one TV.

If you can find a good Dish 500 to put on 110 and 119 this setup works very well - - - but I have to put a wing dish on 61.5 to get my locals in HD and for a handfull of PI channels.

But I'm not sure where your locals would be (usually 61.5 or 129)

Best of success!

Last edited:
Or get a regular DHA24 type of account and get free equipment and free installation.

After your installed, call up and tell them up and tell them you want to go to the welcome pack and they will allow you to downgrade.

They just won't let you take the welcome pack initially when you sign up.

If I signed up through the website, I'll be a DHA24 account holder?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts