Question about U-Verse?

Johnny Detroit

Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Line of sight issue prevent me from getting the latest HD signal from DTV. Love my DTV, but can't have all these new TVs and no HD. I get some from the first launch they did, but anything else since does not come in.

Refused to get COMCAST and FINALLY UVERSE is available in my area.

Like the fact all the TVs are synced with the DVR so you can watch the taped stuff on any TV.

Before I officially make the switch any feedback or suggestions on packages? As of now, get the U400 free for the first month. The Pro Internet (3.0 MB) is 30.00, while the Elite (6.0 MB) is 60.00 (Internet MAX, think 10?, is 55.00). Planning to use the Elite. Also like the fact they install it using a wireless router for you.

The channel line up seems pretty good.

Toss in they do not do contracts, it seems kind of too good to be true?

Not sure what else my options are?

I have a relative that has U-Verse and he likes it. Picture quality has improved to where the SD channels look very good, and the HD is close to sat quality. The biggist limitation is that you can only view or record one HD channel at a time. You can view and record one HD and three SD channels or four SD channels at a time. Although the DVR will record up to four channels at a time, the hard drive will only hold about 24 hours of HD or 120 hours of SD.

With the line of sight issue, my only other option is WOW or COMCAST.

The current line up they have does not look that bad.

Johnny Detroit:
Like the fact all the TVs are synced with the DVR so you can watch the taped stuff on any TV.

Recorded material can only be watched on the TV connected to the DVR. Whole House DVR Is not yet available, it has been promised for later this year. Of course, it may have been promised for late LAST year too.

not sure if that has changed or what. because the att reps who came out said IT WAS POSSIBLE now once it is set up in our area. they are laying the new lines in over the next 3 weeks. everything is brand new as we have never had uverse until now.

My understanding is whole home DVR in the second half of 2008 and 2 hd streams in the second or third quarters of 2008 . Both should be online by end of year, if all goes well. the DVR is going to allow 2SD/2HD which sounds great. If Alcatel Smart DSL rolls out in late 2008 then bandwidth will increase for even more capacity. Pair bonding is also coming in late 2008 to increase service distance. Today is the earnings report for ATT so we may know more by end of the day.

What is your issue with comcast. For 60$ your internet will be twice as fast as uverse., Plus with comcast you can watch more then 1 HD channel in your house at a time.

Comcast has the worst customer service of all time.

Also, I have tons of TVs and my signal was crap because all the splitting. Even with the booster they used the picture still was not that great. Also made my web connection slow.

I want to keep DTV but the issues with the trees.

i have the HD tivo box. during the winter i have all the HD channels that come with that launch (very basic, IE, ESPN, HBO, no locals). with summer comes, i lose ESPN2 and few others that come from whatever signal that is, but am fine with the HBO, ESPN.

the problem is, the satellite after that which allowed locals and more channels is in the same area that the ESPN2 signal comes from.

i know they just put up that new satellite, but no idea if that signal is wide enough that i will be okay. the sad thing is when i called DTV, the sales AND the tech person had no clue what i was talking about. they insisted the last satellite was the one i sept that went live. i argued and argued they just put a new one up but it is not live. eventually i talked to tech guy to go on google and look. man, did he feel like an idiot that a customer on the phone knew more about their product than him and the guy next to him (who remember were the tech support).

prior to reading further into it, uverse seemed the middle between dtv and comcast. now i am not so sure.

ugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)