Question about using 622/722 for two room viewing

Cranked

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
If I had a 622/722 in the Living Room and if I wanted to hook it to two TV's I know I can use the TV2 output. The problem is, the second output doesn't do HD and I have a 52" LCD in the Living Room and a 46" in the bedroom. What I want to be able to do is watch shows that are recorded on the one DVR in both rooms in HD.

So, I have a few questions:

1) Can you send the HDMI output to one TV and the Component ouput to another TV? What I mean is, are all the output's active at the same time? I know if that were the case, you would have to watch the same show on both TV's which is fine.

2) If that is the case, do component cables do a good job of displaying an HD signal? Does the screen size matter? For instance, would I be better off sending the HDMI to the bigger TV and the component to the smaller set? Or would that not make too big of a diference? The audio isn't a big concern here since I don't have surround sound anyway. All I care about is the picture quality.

3) If all this were possible, would I even be able to use my remote that controls the TV1 output of the box from room to room? Or would I have to use the RF remote to control the TV1 output? And can you even use that RF remote to control the TV1 output or is that solely for the TV2 output?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1) Both HDMI and Component are hot, as well as all others. Keep in mind, your second HDTV will be watching the same thing as TV1.

2) There is no significant difference between HDMI and compoment, regardless of screen size. Rule of thumb is HDMI up to 50', component for longer.

3) You can use RF for TV one. Again remember, both TVs will be watching what TV1 is set to.

If it's independent viewing you want, you will need another HD receiver.

If I had a 622/722 in the Living Room and if I wanted to hook it to two TV's I know I can use the TV2 output. The problem is, the second output doesn't do HD and I have a 52" LCD in the Living Room and a 46" in the bedroom. What I want to be able to do is watch shows that are recorded on the one DVR in both rooms in HD.

So, I have a few questions:

1) Can you send the HDMI output to one TV and the Component ouput to another TV? What I mean is, are all the output's active at the same time? I know if that were the case, you would have to watch the same show on both TV's which is fine.

2) If that is the case, do component cables do a good job of displaying an HD signal? Does the screen size matter? For instance, would I be better off sending the HDMI to the bigger TV and the component to the smaller set? Or would that not make too big of a diference? The audio isn't a big concern here since I don't have surround sound anyway. All I care about is the picture quality.

3) If all this were possible, would I even be able to use my remote that controls the TV1 output of the box from room to room? Or would I have to use the RF remote to control the TV1 output? And can you even use that RF remote to control the TV1 output or is that solely for the TV2 output?

Thanks in advance for any help!

We are doing something similar to what you want to do. We have HD TV's in both the family room and the bedroom. The receiver (722) is in the family room.

The family room TV is connected via the HDMI output, and we have component & audio cables running to the bedroom TV. Monoprice has a 5-conductor cable that is designed just for this purpose. We have also split the TV2 composite and audio outputs of the receiver, and connected them to a second input on each TV. This allows us to watch the same HD channel on both TV's, or to watch an HD channel on either TV and (a different) SD channel on the other TV.

It is possible to control both TV1 and TV2 using remotes from either location. We have the remotes that came with the receiver in the family room. We had a old RF remote from another Dish receiver that was able to control TV2 from the bedroom, and purchased a new RF remote on ebay that we use to control TV1 from the bedroom. I don't recall all of the steps that were necessary to get TV1 to respond to both the IR remote and an RF remote, but the information is in some threads, either here or on dbstalk.com.

Whether HDMI is better than component seems to be a matter of opinion. Personally, I can not see any difference on either of our TV's. One is a 52 inch 1080 LCD and the other a 720 LCD projection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)