Question for installers ...

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I just bought a house in Florida that basically has no previous Dish installation and only one TV jack. I want to put a Dish up with service in at least two rooms.

Question is … when the install is made how would the coax be run? I have a marginal attic because of the truss system. Surely the coax is not run in the open???

I assume the installer is only paid a small fee for the install from Dish. So how can I get a quality job (like fishing the lines in the walls).

Dish says they do multiple room installation … is this true or is this BS? It seems to me that a “professional Installation” would easily take a full day and I can not imagine that an installer could survive on what Dish pays them?

Please straighten me out on this before I order this stuff.

Thanks

What is the house construction like? Many that I have seen in FL are concrete block walls limiting the access for cables. You can always get an extra cost custom installation.

Newer home and it is concrete block exterior but they are generally furred out for the interior sheet rock.

What my actual question is, however, what is the installers responsibility based on their contract with Dish?

I can do the install but Dish won't give me the equipment ... must use an installer. Obviously and installer needs to do multiple installs daily to make a decent living .... so, ?

You could run the wires before you have the installation done by Dish, that way you could fish the wires in the wall. Just make sure you use the correct RG 6 cable.

You can do the install yourself but you would have to buy the equipment from a retailer or ebay.

The installer could be a sub, a retailer or an in-house tech. Each is under different constraints on how to do the job. (time vs quality vs cost)

The time it takes and job quality will ultimately depend on the individual tech and the house. A 2 room install could take less than 2 hrs or more than 4.

3rd party subs are generally paid by the job, if they cannot do it quickly, they can charge extra for a custom install or will simply resched the job.

Retailers can vary as far as what they can charge for and how well they are trained.

In-house techs are paid hourly to get the job in within a reasonable amount of time. They cannot charge for extra work without calling cust serv and having it added to the workorder. However, training has been declining and turnover rate increasing.

As far as cable routing , some techs say wallfishing is too difficult and never do it, others can drop a line in 10min. The cable can be and is run out in the open all to often. Where and how the lines are going to be run should be agreed upon before any work is started. If you can do the install yourself, you can always run the lines where you want them and then have dish bring out the equip and sight the dish

There are some very thin-skinned installers around here, so I rarely say what I truly think of the clowns I've had at my house. But you are right to be worried given their remuneration. They have no time to do a good job, so they do the minimum job they can get away with. They do not fish wires through walls. They just drape big ugly black cables all over your house and drill a hole through the wall nearest your TV.

Agree with blts and TimberWolf. Fish the cables yourself, or hire somebody you can trust to do it. And just let your installer show up and hook your receiver and dish together with your cables. He'll be happy to get the job done so quickly.

Thanks for the replies. I had one installer (2 gals) show up here in Virginia and I actually had to run them off ... terrible people. They looked like pig pens, their truck did and they wanted do do the job their way (sloppy) or no way ... bye, bye.

I ended up running the coax myself and then a second installer came and connected the dots. I ended up with a good job.

I was just curious what the installer was actually required to do. Running exposed wiring is not "professional installation" in my mind which is what Dish advertises.

Thanks again for the input

Seems like it's a coin-toss. I've had totally inept clowns that screwed everything up and very courteous, competent installers that I was happy to give a generous tip in the 12+ years I've been with 'em. Nothing in between........

Ed

I work for the rsp in fl in house,and I wall fish all day in a 130 degree attic.I could care less how you want it ran I will do it any way you want it.But that's just me

I'm not a contractor. I ground inside to breaker boxes, braid and water pipes all of the time. I actually try to bring my cable inside. Ive never failed a QAS because of this.

There are standards or maybe best-practices that strongly discourage running the ground inside the house. The claim is that if a lightning bolt strikes the dish, you could have sparks flying every which way which could potentially burn down your house.

I ran the ground inside my house anyway, and grounded it to a cold water pipe. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)