Question for installers ...

I would never ground inside somebody's home,a nicely formed service loop with grounding at the power meter makes every ones job easier.

Think about the guy that has to service or upgrade after you and hAs to hunt down your work.Only to be responsible to have to correct it.

What would concern me is this "marginal" attic space. Is there enough room to crawl around and work? I mean, if the installer has to 'belly-flop' over the beams only to find out there's no room to even get a drill 90 degrees so he can drill thru the top of the wall, then a wall fish ain't gonna happen. BTW, I'm speaking from experience here.
It might help if you said what city this house is in. We can see if the RSP Brisak speaks of covers that area.

One final thing. If you do decide that attic work is feasible/possible, do the installer a favor and schedule an AM install. The attics are starting to get hot again here in the Sunshine State.

DISH will fish the walls BTW. You need to specify that, as there is an additional charge for it. I believe that runs in the "custom work order" category and runs $50 per. On the note of access in the attic, be kind and make sure its clear as far as the access to it. If you have stuff up there, give the installer ample room to navigate with a belt on. If the installer sees "hurdles" between him and the job he can refuse it.

And chainblu, I wish my time in the field was filled with people that considerate.. LOL

Last edited:
TheKrell said:
There are standards or maybe best-practices that strongly discourage running the ground inside the house. The claim is that if a lightning bolt strikes the dish, you could have sparks flying every which way which could potentially burn down your house.

I ran the ground inside my house anyway, and grounded it to a cold water pipe. :eek:

Claims are just that. Claims.

If lightening nails that dish, that high voltage makes it through that tiny messenger and sparks fly everywhere, god hates you. Your f'd from the get go.

My ground is also in my house (in the center of my house of all places) on my water pipe.

The ground is for static electricity build up. Ever see a lightening rod on someones home and the grounding cable and rod associated with it? As mentioned, if lightening hits the dish, game over regardless if it's grounded or not.

Brisak said:
I would never ground inside somebody's home,a nicely formed service loop with grounding at the power meter makes every ones job easier.

Think about the guy that has to service or upgrade after you and hAs to hunt down your work.Only to be responsible to have to correct it.

In our area there are homes where I wouldn't even consider putting cabling on the outside. If I get there and I need the cabeling, I just ask where the basement is.

Am I missing something? If you agree with the claims that sparks will be flying everywhere, why not put it outside?

My ground is also in my house (in the center of my house of all places) on my water pipe. ...
If your home's (metal) water pipes exit the house and connect to plastic tubing outside the foundation, would you still be "comfortable" taking that approach?

Last edited:
SaltiDawg said:
If your home's (metal) water pipes exit the house and connect to plastic tubing outside the foundation, would you still be "comfortable" taking that approach?

No. Copper as far as I can see and that is enough for me. The copper runs into the foundation.

Makes sense. As a side note, I was talking with a local D*/E* retailer several years back, and he said it was stupid to ground the dish because the receiver was already grounded through the wall plug.

I agree with Frank about the ground to the cold water plumbing if it is copper. Before everything went to plastic the cold water was required to be electrically bonded to ground and that is by far the best ground available. this house I bought in FL is all PVC so I would require another ground location.

More often than not the power meter is NOT on the same side of the house as the dish needs to be so in that instance it is proper to ground the system to the electrical ground inside the house, preferably at the distribution panel.

This house is in the Port Charlotte area.

My home is grounded to the water pipe.

Thanks, Frank.

My home was built in 1973 and the water pipes are all copper and the underground water main is metal to the street. My home electrical ground from the main electrical panel is thru the internal water piping, jumpered around the basement water meter, and to the underground metal water main pipe.
Code no longer allows this for newer homes in my area as many of them have non-metallic underground piping outside the home, yet still have copper piping inside. (I believe the NEC also prohibits the old approach for this very reason.)

Not disagreeing with your approach, just adding some info.

Semper Fi. (Retired Navy Submariner.)

My home was built in 1973 and the water pipes are all copper and the underground water main is metal to the street. My home electrical ground from the main electrical panel is thru the internal water piping, jumpered around the basement water meter, and to the underground metal water main pipe.
Code no longer allows this for newer homes in my area as many of them have non-metallic underground piping outside the home, yet still have copper piping inside. (I believe the NEC also prohibits the old approach for this very reason.)
My house was built in '77 and it's copper throughout. It even has a rather impressive jumper around the water meter send unit. But in my case, it sure looks like I have black plastic disappearing into the concrete foundation. One wonders where my copper pipes are grounded, if not through the water main. Would the builder mindlessly jumper a meter simply to "ground" about 2ft of copper pipe? :eek:

... Would the builder mindlessly jumper a meter simply to "ground" about 2ft of copper pipe? :eek:
I would guess that just such approaches did occur and thus the change in the building code. (I gather your home has "survived" unscathed for nearly forty years. :D )

Yes it has, but now I'm worried about Frank's flying sparks scenario. And worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)