This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Question for installers...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkatts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
So I convinced my inlaws to get D*. They got a HR20 and a HD receiver for the bedroom along with 2 SD recievers. The installer told them they had to buy a 6x8 multiswitch for $150. He pole mounted the slime line dish about a foot in the ground. On a 3rd tech visit they drove the pole another foot in the ground because the kept loosing HD locals. At this time their highest signal strength is 80. Average of the other transponders on 101 is maybe 85. The tech told them it's a softare problem and their is nothiing more he can do. Funny that I have the same set up with an average of 95 sig strength. The dish is still loose in the ground, I know that and my father in law has now gone direclty to D* for resolution instead of going through CC.

I know the dish alignment is the main problem, but...
My question is this, the installer ran the four lines in from the dish through the same whole that his 200 amp electric service is coming into the house through.

Could this be adding to the problem?

1st your installer shouild have poured concrete and placed the pole, then you would not have it moving and your dish would be stable and you would not have flucuating signal strentgh. It was my understanding that if you had enough recievers to require a multiswitch, thay would supply it, free.... I would call D* and explain all you issues, they may credit you for the switch, maybe not. also let them know anout the pole with no concrete.

Your problem is not with the hole the wires went in, I would not have done that, but he did, and no one questioned it at the time.

Did he seal the hole to prevent weather and insects access ?
IF I could not get D* to send someone out to fix it, I personally would take it down and re do it with concrete, that way I'd know it was not going to move.
IF you do this, drill a hole in the bottom of the pole and place a bolt thru the hole, this will keep teh pole from ever turning as well.

Jimbo

I know the dish alignment is the main problem, but...
My question is this, the installer ran the four lines in from the dish through the same whole that his 200 amp electric service is coming into the house through.

That is a definite violation of all electric code authorities.

Thanks, I know the real problem is the mount and if D* doesn't make it right, and my father in law sticks with D*, I will sink a pole in concrete myself. While I have it down, I will probably rerun the cables just to be safe.

Thanks again.

resolution instead of going through CC.

Hell, that says it all right there. Fire the DAWG!!!!!!!

If the dawg did it, you should raise a stink. As much as they pimp white glove service, their "superior" knowledge, and customer service, I would shove it down their throat!

Status
Please reply by conversation.