Question for Scott on the 811 8VSB module

RJS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Hazel Green, WI
Hi. I'm a recent newbie to satillite and to this forum.
Recently, I've been reading several posts about a noisy fan in the model 6000 8VSB module.

While most subs in our village can get a few OTA stations, I live in a valley and can't get anything. About the only way would be with a tower about 50 or more feet high. That would be impractical for me.

Because of this I don't think I'd need the 8VSB module. However, I understand it's built into the new 811 receiver. I suppose this wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't noisy but since I just replaced a subwoofer amp because of a noisy fan I really don't want to get into that again.

My question is, would I be able to remove the module from the 811 if it is noisy? Or have they improved it so it's not noisy?

While I'm addressing this to Scott I'd welcome info from anyone who could help. I am ready to step into HD and while I'd prefer the 921 my wife would prefer not to spend $999. I'm using the 508 now and I hate the thought of attaching it to the second TV when I get the 811. I really like using the DVR. Thanks guys.

This is really impossible for me to answer. When I played with the 811 last week it was in the middle of a convention center with 1000 people walking around talking.

I do know that the fan noise was something they wanted to fix from the 6000 so I can only hope that that they made improvements on the 811.

I must say I was one of the first people to get my module and never heard the fan running on my 6000 with the TV was on. Its not loud at all.

Welcome RJS!

I got my seond 8VSB 1.5 years after the first one and the fan noise is very different. The "old" one is a bit noisier but lower frequency and not hard to accept. The new one has a high pitched whine although quieter but MUCH more annoying.

My 501 has a whine from the RECEIVER portion, not the hard drive which is VERY annoying.

I have the 6000. I opened the module up and put a drop of sewing machine oil on the shaft and have not heard a sound since. That was a year ago.

I've had the 6000u w/ 8vsb fan noise issue in my bedroom & it is about as annoying as a neighbors crying baby in the middle of the night. I don't like the idea of my HD receivers cooking due to heat so I recently added a 12v SilenX fan to the inside of my HD receiver with no complaints at all. I can now sleep like a baby.

In my living room I even added a 4" fan to the back of my Lifestyle 35 receiver since it also has heat issues. I don't undrstand why these units stay warm even while the units are off ? The manufacturers should rework them so they only emit heat while turned on not while turned off.

My units that gave me this problem:
Dish Nework 6000's, Bose AV28 Lifestyle receiver, DirecTV/Hughes HTL-HD I've added computer fans to each of these units for additional cooling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)