Question for the professional installers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

derdude

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2004
I have a question for the professional installers. When you are finding a satellite do you use a compass or a satellite meter for azimuth?

Thanks…

I use my compass/inclinometer to check for line of sight and to ballpark the satellite down to a few degree's (Azimuth). Then I use my positive identification satellite meter to find and then peak the signal. Knowing the exact elevation makes it really easy, move the dish left and right (azimuth) and bang there is the signal.

http://www.dmsiusa.com/site_survey.htm

I'm not a pro installer but I can just eyeball it :)

Pete is right...if you have the elevation right, azimuth is real easy to get :D

human satellite finder-LOL

I have played around with so many dish pointing schemes in my yard i can literally "eyeball" the dish and get down to within 4 degrees of what it's pointed at.

gave up the meter and compass a while back :D

I think at this point I have set up too many satellite dishes and yes my neighbors think i am strange for having all those dishes. although my property looks nice and is well maintained, i still get ridiculed. They just don't understand. After all I don't make fun of them for having Longerberger basket parties and home interior pow wow's.

Im looking for fta installers for our fta website (legal free to air)..
Im going to let installers advertise for $50 a month to start.. Noticable sales area includes, the Carolinas, California, Florida and Texas.. we do sell to every state..
Please email info@ftadirect.com
(ATTN Admins and Mods)
I hope you do not consider this as spamming.. I do appreciate your site and just trying to spread the word of legal fta, and too have some installers available as every customer asks about that.
Thanks

Tell me which is worse, a Longerberger Basket Party or being able to enjoy TV to your hearts content.. Hmm.. I think I'll pass on the Party..

i'll pass on the party too -LOL

:D

I have to agree with you that I would much rather have way cool tv reception over pleasing the expectations of a bunch of basket lovers. The reason I used that as an example is because when those folks catch me outside doing lawnwork, landscaping, or washing my trucks, they always give me this " why do you have all those dish antennas?" or "Just get cable-you don't have to maintain it like satellite systems". My response is always "I don't desire to have the limited amount of channel line-up and poor picture quality associated with our local cable company." Besides even their so called "digital" and "hdtv" packages really don't look exceptionally great because of overcompression of the signals. Not to mention it is overpriced in my opinion.

I like all the other free to air buffs enjoy channels that the cable companies or the "Big Two satellite companies" don't even carry. News feeds are the best.

I guess unless you have that special interest in this hobby, most folks don't really understand us.

My wife likes some shows on the WB network; however, shows on the Baltimore, MD, WB channel often get the boot during the college basketball and Major League Baseball seasons since this channel has the broadcast rights for many of these games.

So, when a game is on, people in the Baltimore area will not see the regular scheduled shows on WB - except for my wife and me :D. When a game is on, we often get calls from our friends to come and watch the shows at our house - one TV for the guys to watch the game, another TV for the ladies to watch Gilmore Girls.

Last I checked, cable TV didn't give you access to a couple of WB stations :p Even the two big satellite companies can only offer local broadcast packages due to FCC regulations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.