Question from Newbie in Florida

frankie32

Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
florida
Hi Guys,
Complete novice here, sorry. My wife and live in Florida, Kissimmee, 34744. We are shortly going to dump Dish network, go to a digibox for local channels, and have a computer hooked up to the TV via HDMI and our network, so we can watch films from the net. When we ditch Dish Network, they will be leaving behind the two dishes we have from them (one for regular Dish Network programmes, one for Eurochannel, which we separately subscribe to).

My question is, bearing in mind where we live, is it worthwhile hooking up some sort of satellite receiver and utilising the dishes in the direction they are already pointing? (I know we won't get Dish network, and we're not bothered about that). Will we receive any/many additional English speaking programmes with where the dishes are pointing at the moment (or if not, is it easy to change that). If so, can anyone recommend a reciever that is easy to set up for an technically inept person?!!

Thanks in advance. Hope I have explained it properly.

Last edited:
You would have to realign the dishes and get receivers in order to get FTA programming.

Realign to & receiver?

Thanks for that. To get a reasonable choice of English speaking programmes can you give me an idea where to re-align to, or where I might find that info, and also what simple receiver would you recommend for someone completely new to this?

Been & Gone & Done it

Okay, guys, thanks for your earlier advice. We have now dumped Dish, got all the local channels coming in nicely, have our network hooked up to our TV, so we have a fair range of stuff to watch.

It seems a waste to do nothing with these two redundant Dish network dishes mentioned above, all cabled up, which are sat there with nothing attached to them at the moment, still pointing to the direction dish network set them originally. (We realise we're going to have to re-align them)

Just thought I'd pick your brains;

1. Any recommendations for a particular receiver to buy?

2. Which satellites should we be looking at for FTA channels from our area, 34744, do you think? (We have an uninterrupted view of the sky)

3. Will we need to change the LNBs?

Thanks again
Frankie

Last edited:
Okay, guys, thanks for your earlier advice. We have now dumped Dish, got all the local channels coming in nicely, have our network hooked up to our TV, so we have a fair range of stuff to watch.

It seems a waste to do nothing with these two redundant Dish network dishes mentioned above, all cabled up, which are sat there with nothing attached to them at the moment, still pointing to the direction dish network set them originally. (We realise we're going to have to re-align them)

Just thought I'd pick your brains;

1. Any recommendations for a particular receiver to buy?

2. Which satellites should we be looking at for FTA channels from our area, 34744, do you think? (We have an uninterrupted view of the sky)

3. Will we need to change the LNBs?

Thanks again
Frankie
coolsat 4000 or 5000 receiver, pansat 3500 these are good receivers
are your dishnetwork dishes single or dual, what does it say on front of dish
and yes, you will need a linear lnb

Hi Frankie,

You really want to take this over to the FTA area. Those folks, especially Iceberg know everything there is to know about this. They don't often visit over here in the cable forums, so you probably won't get a lot of response. If you look around there, you will probably see the answers you want.

Also, you should take a look at "THE LIST" heading at the top tabs of the site. The List section has lists of all FTA signals on all satellites and exactly what you are looking for.

Thanks for your help Mr. Crane and jayn_j, I will take this over to the FTA board, just want to get the information down that I have before my pea-brain forgets it!!

The two redundant dishes are as follows: One is a Dish Network 500, with 1 digital lnbf marked disk pro on it in, the 119 degree slot (the 110 degree slot is empty)

The other is a Dish Network Plus, with 2 lnbfs in, one marked digital AKH1-DPS and the other is not marked, looks a bit like a fish-eye lens though!!

Hope that helps. Just going to root around the FTA forum before I show my ignorance over there!!

Thanks
Frankie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)