Question in conflicting information from tech on ext tb hard drive

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Did not want to post this in my installation thread.

While installer was here he saw I have a couple external USB 2 1tb hard drives I used on my Tivo with Directv. Actually 1 is brand new. (picked them up on the cheap at Staples last Xmas black Friday for 39 bucks each)

He said are you going to use one with the Hopper. I mentioned I had read that it wont work yet or people have not been able to get it to go.

He said at there office they have a ext plugged in to test and it plugged and played and did not need a dish software install for ext drive.

So before I plug this in and blow up the hopper LOL. Anyone have a correct answer here?

Thanks

Thanks guys.

UPDATE, As you said. Plug and play. Plugged in to USB. Found EXT drive. I let it format it. Now sees it when I choose DVR. However another question. Does it automaticly change to recording on the EXT drive only once internal is filled/? With my Comcrap box I could choose internal or ext to record on. This appears not to let me use the ext but I can see it with 99% room remaining. Its a 1 tb drive.

Thanks guys.

UPDATE, As you said. Plug and play. Plugged in to USB. Found EXT drive. I let it format it. Now sees it when I choose DVR. However another question. Does it automaticly change to recording on the EXT drive only once internal is filled/? With my Comcrap box I could choose internal or ext to record on. This appears not to let me use the ext but I can see it with 99% room remaining. Its a 1 tb drive.

Dish will always record to the internal drive. You can transfer what you want to archive to the external drive.

I am upgrading from a VIP 722, if I am right I read that I can just plug in my external drive and view my recordings from it via the hopper.(no formatting) I guess my only other question would be can the joeys connected to the hopper view whats on the external drive ?

I am upgrading from a VIP 722, if I am right I read that I can just plug in my external drive and view my recordings from it via the hopper.(no formatting) I guess my only other question would be can the joeys connected to the hopper view whats on the external drive ?

yes. it works fine .

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Sorry I am an idiot. I did not see you can scroll down to a third line in Menu. DOH! I see it and it works. How come it says Hopper has only 500gb drive? I thought this was advertised as a 2tb drive? my ext shows correct 1tb.

Sorry I am an idiot. I did not see you can scroll down to a third line in Menu. DOH! I see it and it works. How come it says Hopper has only 500gb drive? I thought this was advertised as a 2tb drive? my ext shows correct 1tb.

Dish reserves the rest for PTAT, and VOD.

Sorry if this is already in another thread-but having an issue with recordings transferred to EHD from 722, back to Hopper...I would say 1/2 of my recordings show the standard, "you're not subscribed to this channel message" when trying to play them back. Called Dish and they have placed a ticket for engineering...anyone else having this? Any updates or how to fix?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts