Question Install Charges?

Vin

Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
I was scheduled for an installation this AM, installer arrived on time. To make a long story shorter, it was decided not to use an OTA antenna. Due to local covenants no roof antennas are allowed and the installer said the OTA would not work in my attic and I have HD local channels via Time Warner Cable. I grudgingly agreed, figuring I would just have to keep cable. He then tried to charge me $50.00 for a crappy pole to put the dish on and then wanted another $75.00 to run a second line through the wall because I declined the use of a diplexer. There would be no charge if I would let him drill through the floor, not really an option, due to carpeting. I said I would have to call Voom, he said he could not wait for me to get through he had other installations. I let him leave, refusing to pay the $125.00. My questions are, after all the explanation, did I make a mistake, was he entitled to the $125.00, would I be reimbursed from Voom? Should I pay after agreeing to not have the OTA antenna installed? At this point I'm not sure I want to deal with a company in such a state of confusion. Help!!

covenants forbidding OTA antennas are illegal and against FCC regulations. Put up the antenna. Your homeowners association will lose in court. Call installs inc and voom about your corrupt installer. He is obligated to run up to 4 125' runs of rg6 for free I believe (2 per reciever).

WOW! I didn't know this!

I just forwarded the fcc info to my homeowners association. The association has a restriction that antennas cannot be seen from the street. My dish is on the back of my house, so it's not affected. When I get my VOOM, the OTA antenna will be visiable.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. However, I really don't want to be at odds with the people of my community, my neighbors. If I can get everything I want with Voom and cable, I'm willing to pay the extra few dollars to maintain the peace. I will watch to see if others have similar problems with installers.

Sean Mota,
As per your suggestion, I did forward my original message to Wilt Hildenbrand. Thank you, I hope he can help get this resolved.

How does the installer know that the antenna won't work in your attic? He should have left it with you so you could at least try it! Go to www.antennaweb.org and see how far away you are and what kind of antenna you'll need to pick up the digital OTA stations in your area.

I find it pathetic that some communities are so stuffy that they would complain about a TV antenna being visible.

DBENE said:
I find it pathetic that some communities are so stuffy that they would complain about a TV antenna being visible.

i second that.what are they going to do to you?high falooton neighbors anyways!what did they have before cable?are you going to get all your locals in hd on cable?invite them all over, and show them what hd looks like.why pay for something that you can get for free?

I have a Channelmaster 4228 installed in my attic with no amp or preamp and is working great. I would of had the installer to put in your attic. I would do what Sean suggested on getting with Wilt.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

antennas and "associations"

I say F%^& the community it's your house, your property, you make the payments, you should be able to put any damn antenna you want to on your roof.

I am a HAM operator and we battle this all the time. There is a specific rule which allows you to install an antenna which provides a service that is not available readily accessable via other means.

So put the OTA antenna up, try not to make it stick out like a sore thumb if possible, and let them eat your shorts because there is nothing they can do about it. What are they going to do kick you out of your home??? I think not!

KC9BZQ in case anyone cares.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)