Question on D* Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dish96

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
PA
I'm currently with E* and have an 811 receiver. I have a HDTV that does not have an internal HDTV tuner. My E* reciever has one built in - so my OTA is plugged in the back and PRESTO, I have free off-air HDTV. Now, I'm thinking about switching to D* - because of NFL Sunday ticket and more HD programming. But, I've heard that NONE of the new Directv receivers have the bulit-in HDTV OTA tuners. Is that true? If it is, then I wont switch because I enjoy the free HDTV OTA. And, I've confirmed the E* 622 and 722 still have the built-in tuners. Please, some one help clear me up on this. Thanks!

I'm currently with E* and have an 811 receiver. I have a HDTV that does not have an internal HDTV tuner. My E* reciever has one built in - so my OTA is plugged in the back and PRESTO, I have free off-air HDTV. Now, I'm thinking about switching to D* - because of NFL Sunday ticket and more HD programming. But, I've heard that NONE of the new Directv receivers have the bulit-in HDTV OTA tuners. Is that true? If it is, then I wont switch because I enjoy the free HDTV OTA. And, I've confirmed the E* 622 and 722 still have the built-in tuners. Please, some one help clear me up on this. Thanks!
The D* H20 and HR20 receivers have internal OTA switches.

The H21 and HR21s do not, but you can get the AM-21 "add on" module which allows you to integrate the OTA channels into your program guide.

Last edited:
The D* H20 and HR20 receivers have internal OTA switches. The H20 and HR21s do not, but you can get the AM-21 "add on" module which allows you to integrate the OTA channels into your program guide.

But will they de-code the HDTV signal? Also, I think it's a typo but you said the H20 does and then does not. And what's an AM-21? Is it something I have to buy? And what are these receivers? HD-DVR's or what? I'm not at all familiar with D*.
Thanks!

H20 and H21 are non-DVR's while HR20 and HR21 are the DVR models.

H20 and HR20 have OTA built in.

H21 and HR21 do not have OTA built in. There is the AM-21 that is a external OTA tuner that integrates with the H21 and HR21. This allows you to receive and record (record only with HR21) OTA HD signals.

If you are switching from Dish I would mention that when you order and say that you will only switch if you can get the AM-21 at no additional costs.

If you are switching from Dish I would mention that when you order and say that you will only switch if you can get the AM-21 at no additional costs.

And if they won't accommodate you with a free AM-21, the cost to you would be around $50-60.

The H20 and H21 are HD receivers but not DVR's. H20 has an OTA tuner whereas the H21 does not. The DVR's are HR20 and HR21...HR20 has an OTA turner whereas the HR21 does not. With that said, you can obtain an AM-21 (with is an OTA external tuner) to go with the HR21 this will provide you the same capabilities as you now have with the 811. Here is a link to give you more info on the AM-21.

DBSTalk.com First Look: AM21; OTA Add-On for the HR21 - DBSTalk.Com

Thanks to both of you!
Sounds like the HR-20 is the way to go but I think - from what I've read - the HR-20 is discontinued...so I may have to ask my local retailer if he still can get his hands on one or go with HR-21 and buy the AM-21 switch. Do I have that right? By the way...why would D* not keep the ATSC tuners in the new receivers? I'm in the Yougstown, OH market and I dont think D* offers the locals in HD. I cant even buy them if that's what they were doing.

You are correct. It was said that they removed the OTA tuner to save on the manufaturing costs of the receivers. Many people do not use them as the main four stations are carried by Directv in their areas.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)