Question on DirectTV picture quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

purvis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Over on Dish side of the boards, it is exclaimed by many that Directtv has a very "soft" picture quality in SD and in HD. Even below that of Dish which does not have the greatest picture quality itself.

Is this true??? I realize that with bandwidth constrants that both sides have to compress as much as possible. But, at some point there has to be a limit to it.

What about those with the Mpeg4 locals? How is the HD picture quality with these units for the locals in HD:confused:

I have actually noticed an improvement in some of the more popular SD channels in the last few weeks (FX, TBS, TNT, USA, Comedy Central). It has fluctuated with some days a vast improvement, other days just a noticeable improvement; but an improvement overall.

I can't speak for the local MPEG-4 or other HD channels. I cancelled the HD pack several months ago because the quality of the picture and repetitive programming made me simply unable watch them anymore.

The pQ of Directv's HD channels is the worst you can possibly get via any service. Many of the mpeg2 HD recordings I have from Directv are pathetically small in file size :(. I think Bikini Destinations Puetro Vallarta on HDnet was only 2.9 GB

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)