Question on Dish 500 Quad LNB

stuhuff

Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
Just had my 921 installed and they put in a dp44 switch instead of running two of the four lines straight from the LNB to the 921. My question is, is my signal quality degraded since it is going through the switch? Since I only have 3 receivers, 301, 501 and the 921, why couldn't I just run cable runs directly from the dish to each receiver instead of using the switch?

There ARE 4 outputs inside the quad LNB aren't there?

Thanks,

Stu

stuhuff said:
Just had my 921 installed and they put in a dp44 switch instead of running two of the four lines straight from the LNB to the 921. My question is, is my signal quality degraded since it is going through the switch? Since I only have 3 receivers, 301, 501 and the 921, why couldn't I just run cable runs directly from the dish to each receiver instead of using the switch?

There ARE 4 outputs inside the quad LNB aren't there?

Thanks,

Stu

yes there is 4 outputs inside the quad lmb

Will my signal be better if I run four clean runs?

Will my signal be better if I run four clean runs? In other words, is it worth the effort or should I just live with the current setup that uses the dp44 switch?

thanks

You are NOT going to see any difference in SQ going through the DPP44.

Ask yourself why would they install the VERY expensive DPP44 switch if they didn't have to? Maybe you've got a DPP Separator - thereby saving having to run a second feed cable to the 921?

If you only had 2 tuners before, you almost certainly have a Twin and not a Quad.

921 Install with Switch?

The Dish install guy just arrived to put my 921 in and said he didn't need to run another cable from the dish; he is going to use a 34 switch. I will have a 921, 508, and 301 located in 3 different locations. The previous installer said he had to run another cable from the dish and couldn't do it that day because of the snow on the roof.
Now I'm not sure what is going on???
Does anyone know what is correct hook-up. I have a Dish500 Pro.

"Dish500 Pro" doesn't mean much. The typical LNB for that is a Twin.

To add a 921 to a 2 tuner setup would require replacing the Twin with a Quad and running a pair of cables all the way from the dish.

OR, let the Twin drive the DP34 mounted in place of the grounding block, and then only run the new dual RG-6 from there to the 921.

help

please help: i've looked in the archives and cant find a straight answer. i have a dish pro quad going to three recievers : 1 811 and 2 311s. i want to add a dual tuner 921 or 942 to replace the 811. can i just add a dpp separator from where the cable comes out of the wall and run the two cables from that into the 921 or 942 to enjoy the dual tuner.

The simple answer is NO. The separator only works with DishPRoPlus (DPP or DP+) hardware. You would have to add a DPP 44 switch or change the head on your dish to a DPP one.

There is no DPP Quad. The DPP Twin supports only 2 receivers.
You need to add a DP34 switch and the extra run of RG6, or add the DPP44 switch and DP Separator. Either way the DP Quad can stay.

mathius8 said:
so if i changed the quad lnbf to a dish pro plus lnbf this would work
Bobabird is correct. You would be limited to one or two 921s or a 921 and one 311 or other receiver. There are only two outputs from a DPP LNBF. You will need to get the DPP switch to drive three receivers.
Sorry if I mislead you with my first statement. :(

BobaBird said:
There is no DPP Quad. The DPP Twin supports only 2 receivers.
You need to add a DP34 switch and the extra run of RG6, or add the DPP44 switch and DP Separator. Either way the DP Quad can stay.

if i am understanding this right if i decide to get a 921 the only extra hardware to get the dual tuner working is the DPP44 switch and a dp separator (Fancy Splitter) and everything will work ok with a total of 4 recievers no extra RG6

Yes.

I'm surprised it doesn't save "DP" somewhere on that line.

Look at the back of it for a big DP logo. If it's not there, you may have gotten a Legacy LNBF.

Yes. All DishPro receivers can use legacy LNBs and switches. Legacy receivers require an adapter when used with DishPro switches but can be connected directly to DishPro Plus switches.