Question on Dish tuner and PSIP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wkomorow

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Berkshire, MA
I have an OTA related question. Does anyone know how dish network receivers match the broadcast station indicated in the PSIP to the station information that is presented in the receiver's guide. Here is a concrete example. WRGB which is rf and virtual 6 has had issues and they have decided to simulcast on a digital substation of their sister station rf 43 virtual 45-3. The receiver recognizes it as 45-3 WRGB but had digital service instead of WRGB's programming information which Dish does have guide information for on channel 6.

Thats not a PSIP problem , you would need to contact dish and ask them to add listings for 45.3. They are not typically responsive for OTA EPG issues unfortunately.

Thats not a PSIP problem , you would need to contact dish and ask them to add listings for 45.3. They are not typically responsive for OTA EPG issues unfortunately.
Exactly. The EPG comes from the station itself. Generally speaking, if a station is having difficulties, the EPG is the first thing to go. It really isn't anything to worry about as it will be corrected when the channel moves back to its assigned channel. Happens quite often when a station has problems around here (WHIO comes to mind).

Sadly, Dish does not pass PSIP anyway. Wish they did.

They use Tribune, IIRC, for their EPG when you subscribe to Dish provided locals, but the OTA tuners just pass the signal w/o PSIP, so you set those timer manually by specifying time and channel.

Yes, expanding on OT.

My local FOX affiliate gave me a similar problem..OTA said Digital Serivce even though the station was included in Dish LILs. Then one day I activated a second HD receiver, scanned for locals clicked on Select All and to my surprise the FOX OTA station info was in the EPG of 2nd receiver. I went back to the 1st receiver, it still said Digital Service. So on the 1st receiver I rescanned for locals Clicked on Select All and Presto! the FOX station suddenly appeared in the EPG of the 1st receiver. Give it a try yourself, rescanned and click on Select All.

I think people are misunderstanding my question. There has to be something about the signal that identifies to the Dish tuner which station it is. For example on a good day I can get WUNI from Worcester which is two DMAs away and yet my Dish receiver has full program information for them from Tribune because Dish carries the station in Boston. WUNI is not part of my locals package. Something must tell the receiver to display WUNI's Dish tribune generated guide information. My question is that Dish already has WRGB guide information in my LIL package. WRBG is on rf 6 and the quide is full and complete. WRGB is also on 45.3 because there are issue with rf 6 coverage. My question is if my guide says it is WRGB for 45.3 why does it not show already exisiting WRGB guide information.

I thought the PSIP indentified the station (repeated regularly in the stream) and the receiver used that to determine what channel it it.

I did try deleting my locals and rescanning - great idea but it did not solve the problem.

The problem is its not the same station to the receiver, however dish does their channel mapping they would need to map 45.3 to the listings for WRGB. The WRGB text you are seeing in the guide is taken from the channel name in PSIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts