Question on how to split signal out of Dish 500 5 ways

fskywalker

Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Hi, I'm a newbie in Dish network world and the forum. I have installed 2 weeks ago a Dish 500 system (two 4 1/2 feet dishes and 2 receivers: 522 DVR double model + 311 single model) for 3 rooms. The installer used an SW44 switch, which has up to 4 outputs. Since I have 4 rooms, I asked the guy to wire one extra room for future use (need to buy an additional receive in Ebay), so the current setup works for all my rooms, but I need an additional connection for my family room as well. I was looking in Internet for 2x8 or 4x8 switches, but am not sure which one will work with my system (By the way, I live in Puerto Rico, that's why my dishes are so big). :)

I ask the installer and he said putting a bigger switch may not work due to all the power that would be drawn from the 5 receivers pulling signal from the system:confused:; can I put a powered switch that would solve this issue and allow me to have the signal on 5 rooms? :( Also, I may eventually get into HD, so for that was told would need another dish (6 feet or so:mad:), so the new switch should allow me to get into 3 inputs (versus the 2 inputs on the SW44).

Thanks for your guidance,:)

Francisco

I would think you have a dp 34 switch, sw equipment is quite old. You would need another dp 34 switch to give you four more lines, you cannot use any brand equipment except for Dish. Other brands are different technology and will not work with Dish Network.

You could use a legacy Quad LNB, I think. Two lines to the switch, the other two available for receivers. Wouldn't do you much good when you go to HD though. Your whole setup would need replacement.

Thanks for the input, am actually sure have the SW44 switch in my setup. That being the case, should I replace it with 2 DP34 switches? Is there somewhre where I can get a diagram for those switches (or for the legacy Quad LNB)?

Thanks for the input garys.. I have seen the DP34 relatively cheap ($30-40) in internet and that LNB's are cheap too ($20-30), but have to check the details on my current setup to make sure which specific models would work with my current setup.

Thanks,

Francisco

As much as I like the idea of using a Quad, it and the Twin may not have the right LNB spacing to work with the large dishes required.
I'm positive that's one of the problems facing users in Alaska.

The Twin and Quad come in both Legacy and DishPro, for the education of users in other areas.
And, each needs either Legacy or DishPro switches to work with it.

Below is a Twin, but the Quad looks the same, other than sporting four coax connectors.

Attachments

• twinLNB.jpg
    twinLNB.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 212
There's a way to do legacy and two sw44 switches. You have to split each satellite wire using a high frequency 2 way single port power pass satellite splitter. Then connect each side of the splitter to the same connection on each sw44. So if you connect one wire to port 2A you have to connect the other wire off that same splitter to port 2A of the other switch.

Here's a diagram:

http://www.satellitesecrets.info/newversion/parallel%20connection.pdf

...Also, I may eventually get into HD, so for that was told would need another dish (6 feet or so:mad:), so the new switch should allow me to get into 3 inputs (versus the 2 inputs on the SW44).
Unfortunately, the above doesn't support three inputs.
Perhaps adding five SW21's would get the job done, if he stays with Legacy hardware?

And while changing out the entire system to DishPro is painful, and potentially expensive, it could easily support three (or four) satellites.
The DP34 and DPP44 switches are cascadeable to permit 4 outputs from one switch or 8 outputs from two switches.

You should probably get a better understanding before making a decision, as the whole Legacy vs DishPro discussion is a little complicated.

Hi, I'm a newbie in Dish network world and the forum. I have installed 2 weeks ago a Dish 500 system (two 4 1/2 feet dishes and 2 receivers: 522 DVR double model + 311 single model) for 3 rooms. The installer used an SW44 switch, which has up to 4 outputs. Since I have 4 rooms, I asked the guy to wire one extra room for future use (need to buy an additional receive in Ebay), so the current setup works for all my rooms, but I need an additional connection for my family room as well. I was looking in Internet for 2x8 or 4x8 switches, but am not sure which one will work with my system (By the way, I live in Puerto Rico, that's why my dishes are so big). :)

I ask the installer and he said putting a bigger switch may not work due to all the power that would be drawn from the 5 receivers pulling signal from the system:confused:; can I put a powered switch that would solve this issue and allow me to have the signal on 5 rooms? :( Also, I may eventually get into HD, so for that was told would need another dish (6 feet or so:mad:), so the new switch should allow me to get into 3 inputs (versus the 2 inputs on the SW44).

Thanks for your guidance,:)

Francisco

hi Franky:

:)Look if you live around Bayamon you could go to a couple of retailers here. I have for four recievers and they have switches that will cost you about 40.00 each a 4X8. Caribbean Home Soultions or other stores around the metro area!

Nelson

Question for fskywalker

I'm interested in the make and model number of the 4 1/2 foot dish you are using? and feed horn too?

I'm interested in increasing the signal strengh of the 110 and 119 signals so I can ride through these Texas thunder storms.

Thanks

You could use a legacy Quad LNB, I think. Two lines to the switch, the other two available for receivers. Wouldn't do you much good when you go to HD though. Your whole setup would need replacement.

That doesn't work. Legacy quad will have to have all four lines going to the switch. A DP Quad would work that way, but not legacy.

Neither version of the Quad will work because he's using a separate dish for each satellite. The options I see:

- convert to DishPro LNBs with 1 DPP33 switch (assuming 522/311/722 to 5 rooms) or 2 DP34s or 1 DPP44
- parallel SW64/SW44, I'm thinking the feed loads of a parallel SW64 setup aren't needed
- parallel SW44s, cascade 2 SW21 off a Dual LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)