Question on Installation, Diplexer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Ok, back in Feb. I posted asking how to hook up OTA to go into two "old" tv's using Directv. Ciwsguy was very helpful and finally got me to understand that I would need to use diplexers. We are now finally ready to install our antenna and I was online looking at diplexers and got a little confused. From our multiswitch in the basement we have two coax's going to one of our receivers (dvr) and one coax going to the other. It looks to me like the diplexers only allow you to put one sat. coax and one ota coax in each, so what do I do with the one that has the dvr receiver and 2 coaxs and will also have one ota?

At the DVR you could....
Combined Coax------------Diplex----------Sat
.........................................\------------Ant Splitter--------Tuner 1
......................................................................\----------Tuner 2
If it is a HD DVR, remember to put the "B Band" right after the Multiswitch
Dish------Multi-------B Band------Diplex

It's not an hd dvr but I don't get exactly what you're saying...(I'm blonde) does that explain it? HA!!!

Thanks for the link, helps a little, but still not getting it. Does the diplexer come into play BEFORE the multi switch or AFTER? My goal is to have the ota coax go into the receiver, I think that would take the least amount of coax wouldn't it? If I had to run coax to each tv it would be ALOT! I think my original hopes were to be able to run the ota coax into the multi switch and have it magically appear on each tv, obviously I was leaving out the step of the converter box.

Do I bring the ota into the multi first? It does have an "input" for that. And do I need a diplex for each tv? How do I have 2 dvr coaxs AND the ota go into the diplex when there are only 2 inputs (one ota and one sat)?

Thanks Lak, I'm really close to understanding (ugh). The coax coming up from the basement on the single side then would put a separate coax on the double side, one to ota input on the receiver and one to the sat input? I think I finally get that part but I still don't get how I can have both sat coax's go back into the receiver. What am I not getting?

Yeah, I know, that's what I'm not getting about the diplexer. Why am I not getting this! ARGH!! :mad: I am going to run the ota coax into the multiswitch then where the 2 sat coax's come out of the floor to the receiver I'm going to hook both of them to the diplexer? Right? It will not sink into my head. Or does one of the sat coax's just go directly to the receiver then the other to the single side of the diplex and then I would run 2 coax's off the double side, one to antenna input on receiver and the other to the other sat. input?

You connect each of them to their own diplexer and continue to Box.
What you are doing at the Multiswitch is combining the Sat and Antenna to fit on 1 coax. These need to be split apart before using. A DVR needs 2 inputs, so you need 2 diplexers.

OH ok, got it, so 2 diplexers for the dvr. Each coax that comes up to the receiver will be connected on it's own diplexer then each will have a coax coming off the double side, one to the receiver and one to the converter box? But (hopefully last question) doesn't the converter box only have one input for the ota? If I have 2 diplexers wouldn't I then also have two coax's coming out to the converter box? Geez, wish I could afford to have someone do this.

The DVR "usually" has 2 Sat and 2 OTA tuners. If your's does not, no worries. Just use 1 Diplexer. The "combined" Sig won't bother the Sat Box. I think you got it now.

I'll look when I get home and see. It's either an R10 or R15 (whichever one does not have tivo).
I'm hoping once I have everything in front of me I'll understand. I still don't get how the converter box comes into the mix but I'll figure it out. Thanks!

You can go 2 ways.
1. Use 2 Diplexers(one on each of the coax at the DVR, gives you 2 ANT connections)
2. Use a Splitter after the Diplexer. which will give you 2 ANT connections.(one for the DVR, one for the ATSC Box.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts