Question on saving shows on local channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I've read that I can set individual timers for shows on local channels and that it still only uses the one tuner and then places those shows on the permanent partition of the hard drive. I think I've also read that I can go into the PTAT recordings and pick the shows I want to keep and it moves them to the permanent partition of the hard drive as well. If both of these options are available, are there pros and cons of each method? I would prefer to set timers for the shows I watch and pick "new episodes". But I've read many threads where people are maxing out their timers and I don't want to run into that problem. Would one option be better than the other? I just had my system installed today so I haven't had a chance to play with PTAT yet.

I'm recording a show right now that's covered by PTAT as well. No additional tuners are involved (just the one labeled"Prime Time" in Viewing Status). It shows as a program in the main DVR menu and in PTAT.

However, I see other timer events in the Daily Schedule marked "Skipped: Primetime event". I'm not sure what the difference is or if these too will get placed in PTAT and the "user" DVR space. Time will tell.

The advantage to PTAT is.. Sometimes you might miss the last minute or soof a show.. If the timer is going to something else.. But with PTAT you don't have to worry about that..

I did this with about 10 timers and so far they only show up in the PTAT folder. They're set for new only. Would that affect it? I'd rather not have to save each one individually.

Last night I set an individual timer for Grimm. It recorded like it was supposed to but I noticed it only recorded for an exact hour only even though I have default set for 1 minute early and 3 minutes late. And this morning I realized I forgot about Blue Bloods. So I went into the PTAT folder and saved it. And it only saved the exact hour as well without the early and late buffers. I think this feature is awesome, but I'm afraid without the buffers I'm going to miss the end of some shows. I know if I watch it within the 8 day period I can just go into PTAT folder and catch the end there. But there's a lot of shows I don't actually watch until weeks after its aired.

Last night I set an individual timer for Grimm. It recorded like it was supposed to but I noticed it only recorded for an exact hour only even though I have default set for 1 minute early and 3 minutes late. And this morning I realized I forgot about Blue Bloods. So I went into the PTAT folder and saved it. And it only saved the exact hour as well without the early and late buffers. I think this feature is awesome, but I'm afraid without the buffers I'm going to miss the end of some shows. I know if I watch it within the 8 day period I can just go into PTAT folder and catch the end there. But there's a lot of shows I don't actually watch until weeks after its aired.

I agree. That should be changed to save with the 1 before, 3 after default buffer settings at least. If it could pop up a box when you save and ask you how much to buffer, it would be ideal, since you will know if you need 15 or so minutes due to sports.

I think that if you actually play a saved PTAT recording it runs 5 minutes over. If you want more time guaranteed such as on a PTAT channel that delays due to sports (CBS Sunday, i.e.), you need to set a regular timer with the extra time and go into the daily schedule and unskip it each week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts