Question on second receiver for tailgating

wwfoste

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Clemson, SC
I'm thinking about getting a second receiver to take for tailgating. I currently have a ViP622 that I take to use with a Dish 500. I would like to get a 211k, but wasn't sure about the best way to do it.

Can I get a free one through Dish and only have it activated during the football months? Or would I have to buy one and have it activated the months I was planning on using it?

Is there a fee for activating a second receiver and deactivating it after the 30 day requirement? Basically, I want to know the best option for having a second receiver that I don't have to pay for during the non-football months.

Thanks for any advice.

For "proper" tailgating, you should BUY a ViP211K and the Tailgater antenna. The good part of this is the great ease of using the antenna- don't bother aiming it, it figures it out for itself.

OTOH, you could, with owned equipment, have a pay as you go account. I think it's also called an activation account. You need only pay for the months you use it.

Dish will not be interested in giving you a free receiver that they might never recoup their investment in.

The ViP211K isn't much over a hundred dollars. But the Tailgater antenna- well, you'll have to think that one over carefully. Perhaps you're quite happy with aiming a dish on a tripod. The 500 is easy, but the larger dishes can be more of a challenge.

Of course, if you want them all on the same account, there may be some restrictions on how often you can activate/deactivate an owned receiver on the account.

AND- Welcome to our fold!

Could not agree more with navychop. After years of schlepping a 500 dish and a 301 receiver to the games in the RV, I got the 211k/tailgater package last summer. Fantastic. Auto-aiming to all 3 sats as needed (not just 119 or 110), HD channels, and overall better experience.

It is possible to upgrade your current account by adding a 211, but you would incur a two year contract and once you deactivated it, Dish would require it's return. You can add an owned 211 to your account and deactivate it when it isn't needed but by Dish's rules it must be in the same household location as all your other receivers. You would also need to buy a 211 to use on a pay as you go account as well. In either of the last two cases, Dish will not give you a free 211.

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably will look into buying just the 211k from Amazon or similar site. I can't justify paying $500 for something I'll use at most 7 times a year. I've gotten sighting in the 500 to 110 and 119 with a 70+ signal down to less than a minute, and that will pick up most of the HD channels other than ESPN2. But I appreciate the advice.

I have a 211 receiver that i keep in my shop during the "off season" and tailgate with.

I use a 1000.2 Dish and a concrete bucket/pole to mount the dish....and a few wood shims to help with level if needed. I can aim it and get picture in just a few minutes and I've never had any troubles on the road.....

REMEMBER -- bring an HD antenna with you because you'll be out of your spotbeam most likely!

The "500" LNB question: if it has a DishPro Plus twin, then a second cable to a 211 would work just fine and dandy (for 110 and 119) along with the original cable to a separator and then on to the 622.

If you can aim a 500, then a 1000 is just as easy. Helps to have a signal meter. Just aim for the middle signal. The three sats are pretty close together. I uses tripod I bought on eBay, with a length of pole. Make sure you get the same diameter as the dish mount. Makes for a secure mount and much easier to point.

It is possible to upgrade your current account by adding a 211, but you would incur a two year contract and once you deactivated it, Dish would require it's return. You can add an owned 211 to your account and deactivate it when it isn't needed but by Dish's rules it must be in the same household location as all your other receivers. You would also need to buy a 211 to use on a pay as you go account as well. In either of the last two cases, Dish will not give you a free 211.

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with this. That's what the Tailgater program is for. You can carry it with you, and use either a dish such as the 500, or the Tailgater antenna system.

This is what I do. Ipurchased a 211k receiver and tailgater. During football season I activate the receiver and bring it with me to the games. I pay $7 more a month on my bill. After football season I just deactivate the receiver and save the $7. It's very simple and is allowed by Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts