Question on trying to get directtv installed in my home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elgato48

Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
san antonio, TX
Well here is the problem. i signed up for directtv online and was approved for service. well when the day came for install and no one showed. so i call up dtv and they tell i cannot have service installed cause my sister had left a 300 dollar plus balance with them 4 years ago.

They said cause we have the same last name and the same address that we might being to scam them. Really its been 4 years she no longer lives at this address and i even signed up for autopay. but oh well i left it as that.

That was 9 months ago. So my question is would be possible that i get my friend to sign up under his name at my address since we have no last name connection. or should i not bother considering there is this 4 year old balance, thanks for any help,

oh by the way there is no going to dish network or time Warner since apparently she made the rounds with all of them as well. besides i like dtv

You would need to sign up under your name. Your best bet would be to call and sign up. Because the rep will tell you if there is any problems before they schedule the install.

Any chance you were living in the house while your sister was running up the balance? If not.........
Who owns the house?
Who has the account for the phone and electricity?
Directv has a right to know who they are doing business with.
Does your friend live there and pay rent?
What else is going on?

Joe

I'm normally one to "cheat the system" but if you lived in the house when your sister had DirecTV then you're going to have to pay to get installed. Sure you will always find a sales rep to sign you up (most of them earn commission), but once the system does it's check it will flag the install. And in the off chance you do get it installed, DirecTV can and will transfer the balance to the new account. I've seen it happen many times. Then the balance is under your name and ruins your credit (or your friends) when you don't pay it. Sure, there are ways to get around the system, but you're playing with fire.

Hmmm....
Can you prove to them that a) you weren't the one running up the tab and b) your Sister has moved out, send them something that shows them your Sisters new address, it's been 4 years ...

the house is under my moms name. Also all the bills are in her name as well. I wasnt living here at the time my sister had service. I just recently moved back to help my mom. I told them I wasnt living here at the time but they day it didn't matter. They just keep throwing the we have the same last name so we must be scamming them.

Also my friend does not live here. I just wanted to use his name for service purposes. I know im technically cheating the system but I just want service without having to pay my sisters balance.

If I'm runing the risk of getting the balance turned over in my name then im not gonna try.

I'm not 100% sure paying the $300 would get you service with them. If your credit is very good, I can only suggest asking them to look at your credit since it would be in your name.

I'm not 100% sure paying the $300 would get you service with them. If your credit is very good, I can only suggest asking them to look at your credit since it would be in your name.
So your saying out wouldnt matter I still won't be able to get service. Also i was credit approved to get service. I had signed up online and was ready to get installed then they found the balance the day of install and didn't go through with it

elgato48 said:
So your saying out wouldnt matter I still won't be able to get service. Also i was credit approved to get service. I had signed up online and was ready to get installed then they found the balance the day of install and didn't go through with it

If you qualified as credit-worthy and paid the outstanding balance you WOULD be able to get service. The only potential fly in the ointment would be have you maintained or improved your credit in the interim. If you pass muster on credit, all you would have to do is clear up the old balance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)