Question on Whole Home Systems

adam61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I had Dish for several years then I moved to an apartment with a new job and have cable. My new home is being built now and I will be getting Dish most likely. My question is when I was on Dish they only offered a single HD tuner system that could power a second SD TV (VIP 622/722). Well now that it's 2010 are Dish or I guess DirecTV offering something more advanced?

I'm either looking for something similar to FIOS where all the tuners are in one central location. Or barring that do the recievers at least have 2 HD tuners now so you can get 2 HDTVs per tuner? It wouldn't be as big of a deal except I see Dish now charges some hefty fees for extra receivers. I have 5 HDTVs so 5 tuners would really break the bank.

I tried to do some searching but saw rumors from a year ago and nothing more. What is possibly coming up or is already out there I missed? And also if nothing what do people that are starting to convert every TV to HD doing about the cost of all those receivers?

If your needing 5 tuners in HD make sure you run hdmi and cat6 Ethernet to the rooms from the central location not dirctv or dish have 2 tuner HD outputs. They do have 2 tuners that record in HD but only 1 out put for HD through hdmi. They do have a live componet but it is mirrored. Do you mind if the 5 tvs are mirrored meaning all tvs see the same HD tuner? In June dish will have a sling that will get HD from the 922 but cost and if it will show up nobody knows maybe soon. That's why I say run as much cat6 cable as you can for computers and for the future of tv. Do a gigabit network now in your house as your building.My brother in law is a builder and built him self a 11,800sqft house and I ran all kinds of cables to make sure he was ok for the future. I would run at least 4 rg6 cables to each room from central location 3 cat6 to all rooms from central location 2 hdmi cables to each room from central location, while the walls are open.

Why 4 RG6 cables? For cable tv you pay for high speed internet through cable you get some free channels also for cameras if you want to add them in the future, and for sd tuner 2 from dish VIPs. Why 3 cat6? If u have xbox or playstation to go onto the internet or tv or voip telephone or sling HD from the VIP receivers. 2 hdmi cables is for a VIP to mirror in HD or any other video source from dvd player or bluray player I ran way more wires then this. But it is a good start each personal needs is different. Since it is new construction nows the time to run as many wires. Don't forget surround sound if u want it in every room. Run at least 9 speaker wires for a 7.2 surround system to each room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)