Question regarding local HD channels using an OTA Antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IBM4VT

Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
Christiansburg, VA
Hello,

I have a VIP612 DVR as well as an external OTA antenna. When I plug the antenna into my TV I receive the HD local broadcasts. However if I plug the antenna into the DVR and do the "Scan Locals" it doesn't find anything. The antenna I have is just a little indoor RCA one with the rabbit ears (I think it's ANT111) but like I said it picks up a signal when hooked directly to the TV. Am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with my VIP612 or is it the antenna? Thanks in advance!

I have a good bit of trouble with multipath on my vip612, something I never had using the same square shooter antenna I used to have hooked to an old 811. IMO, I think it is just a weak tuner.

I have two 612's, and their OTA tuner seems to be a tad on the weak side compared to my 722, my DTVpal, and my Westinghouse, though I think they're actually a bit stronger than my Vizio and my Kworld tuner stick. Still, I might have expected them to pull in some statons with rabbit ears. I wonder if you have a crummy connection?

Here's my ordered list.

1. Westinghouse HDTV - jaw dropping performance
  2. DTVpal (original) - pretty impressive
  3. 722 - can't complain
  4. 612 - sometimes lose signal
  5. Vizio HDTV - often loses signal
  6. Kworld - what signal? (Actually it comes and goes; usually good after midnight)

I have two 612's, and their OTA tuner seems to be a tad on the weak side compared to my 722, my DTVpal, and my Westinghouse, though I think they're actually a bit stronger than my Vizio and my Kworld tuner stick. Still, I might have expected them to pull in some statons with rabbit ears. I wonder if you have a crummy connection?

Here's my ordered list.

1. Westinghouse HDTV - jaw dropping performance
  2. DTVpal (original) - pretty impressive
  3. 722 - can't complain
  4. 612 - sometimes lose signal
  5. Vizio HDTV - often loses signal
  6. Kworld - what signal? (Actually it comes and goes; usually good after midnight)
Everytime my signal drops I can hear the planes overhead. The only time it works well is when it is a overcast or rainy day like today. Drives me crazy!

Hello,

I have a VIP612 DVR as well as an external OTA antenna. When I plug the antenna into my TV I receive the HD local broadcasts. However if I plug the antenna into the DVR and do the "Scan Locals" it doesn't find anything. The antenna I have is just a little indoor RCA one with the rabbit ears (I think it's ANT111) but like I said it picks up a signal when hooked directly to the TV. Am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with my VIP612 or is it the antenna? Thanks in advance!

Find the position where the antenna does fine for all digital channels by using your TV. Then connect the antenna to your 612. Return to the menu, but instead of "scan locals" manually scan each individual channel and add them. (Use the actual channel that the digital signal comes on, not the channel number that you are used to tuning in...i.e. STL has channel 9 PBS, but it arrives via channel 39. 39 is the one you would manually scan to get 9 in STL.)

Many 612's have had this problem.

I have both a 211 and 622, both connected to Sony TVs. In general I find the tuners in the TVs to be superior to the OTA tuners in both receivers. I live in a marginal reception area so this is an easy comparison to make. When I'm having significant drop-out with the Dish receivers, the amount is less with the TV tuners. Unfortunately most of the time it's very marginal for me even using the TV tuners...

Just had a 722k installed with a OTA tuner cartridge and all OTA signal levels went up close to 15 points with no dropouts yet! That confirms to me that the tuner in the 612 isn't worth much...:up