Question regarding qualifying and upfront costs

Was there anything left on the old account, such as returned receivers shipping fee that may not have been paid?
There shouldn't be since I sent the receivers back in the mail and paid off any charges I still had on the account. It probably has something to do with something like that though since I never had any issues with them when I was with them.

I even was able to upgrade to the original Hopper when it first came out for no cost (other than extending the contract).

Reactions: charlesrshell
There shouldn't be since I sent the receivers back in the mail and paid off any charges I still had on the account. It probably has something to do with something like that though since I never had any issues with them when I was with them.

I even was able to upgrade to the original Hopper when it first came out for no cost (other than extending the contract).

Based on my experience and that of my neighbors, who recently tried to sign up for DirecTV, and others I know who recently switched to Spectrum, is that these companies are trying to get as much money out of customers as possible as fast as possible. Dish tried to charge me $50 for my H3 after initially telling me it was free. My neighbors, who just paid off their house and have excellent credit and years of on-time payment history with U-verse could not get DirecTV without a $200 up-front fee. People I know who have gone to Spectrum found all sorts of undisclosed fees on their first month's bill for installation (supposed to be free) and equipment charges which are supposed to be waived during the promo period.

Caveat Emptor as they say (they being the Romans I assume, since it is Latin, although they aren't really around anymore, so who says this exactly?).

Based on my experience and that of my neighbors, who recently tried to sign up for DirecTV, and others I know who recently switched to Spectrum, is that these companies are trying to get as much money out of customers as possible as fast as possible. Dish tried to charge me $50 for my H3 after initially telling me it was free. My neighbors, who just paid off their house and have excellent credit and years of on-time payment history with U-verse could not get DirecTV without a $200 up-front fee. People I know who have gone to Spectrum found all sorts of undisclosed fees on their first month's bill for installation (supposed to be free) and equipment charges which are supposed to be waived during the promo period.

Caveat Emptor as they say (they being the Romans I assume, since it is Latin, although they aren't really around anymore, so who says this exactly?).
Yep it seems they just put someone in whatever tier they want since I verified with the 3 credit bureaus my credit is excellent and shouldn't have any issues.

I was told by the Executive Escalations team from Dish earlier today to verify if one is showing a discrepancy since he couldn't tell me whatsoever why I would be in one of the lowest tiers. Basically, "we just type in your info and they tell us what tier". He couldn't explain what each tier is due to corporate/trade secrets (fine, I get that for the most part but still sounds like just an excuse in the long run). So really, they just do what they want. Very unfortunate, especially when I do my due diligence to verify nothing is wrong with my credit at all and they just have some made-up/abstract algorithm.

I understand it's a business trying to make money but wouldn't you stand to make more money in the long run to actually have a person as an outstanding customer who never misses a bill instead of trying to nickel and dime said person up front for no reason. Just blows my mind.

Yep it seems they just put someone in whatever tier they want since I verified with the 3 credit bureaus my credit is excellent and shouldn't have any issues.

I was told by the Executive Escalations team from Dish earlier today to verify if one is showing a discrepancy since he couldn't tell me whatsoever why I would be in one of the lowest tiers. Basically, "we just type in your info and they tell us what tier". He couldn't explain what each tier is due to corporate/trade secrets (fine, I get that for the most part but still sounds like just an excuse in the long run). So really, they just do what they want. Very unfortunate, especially when I do my due diligence to verify nothing is wrong with my credit at all and they just have some made-up/abstract algorithm.

I understand it's a business trying to make money but wouldn't you stand to make more money in the long run to actually have a person as an outstanding customer who never misses a bill instead of trying to nickel and dime said person up front for no reason. Just blows my mind.
This blows my mind too. I would be highly pissed. Someone up the chain of command knows what is programed in that "what tier" computer they have. There is an error some place and they should at least give you a hint where to look for issues. Now I am upset about this. Bunch of bull.

Reactions: HipKat
This blows my mind too. I would be highly pissed. Someone up the chain of command knows what is programed in that "what tier" computer they have. There is an error some place and they should at least give you a hint where to look for issues. Now I am upset about this. Bunch of bull.
I have Charlie's and Vivek's email address if you want them. Might be a long shot. Send me a private message if you want the addresses.

Reactions: HipKat

Both Dish and Directv claim to be "tightening credit requirements." I suspect their algorithms aren't particularly good based on the number of people complaining about this kind of crap.

Yeah. 820 FICO. $100 H3 fee.
Your situation is different. You upgraded. They do not use your credit score for that, but your Dish history. New accounts use credit history. Not too many people are getting free H3’s right now. From the way I understand it is low supply, high demand. The market equilibrium works itself out.

When I started a little over a year ago, I didn’t have to pay anything for a H3. The only thing I payed out of pocket was for 4K Joeys. I have good credit but yours is better. I’m in the high 700s so either there’s something specific in your case that is causing this or something changed with their process within the last year or so. I would bet on dish changes rather than your credit because it seems you have good credit. It seems logical that they would want customers in a saturated, declining market.. but what do I know?!

When I started a little over a year ago, I didn’t have to pay anything for a H3. The only thing I payed out of pocket was for 4K Joeys. I have good credit but yours is better. I’m in the high 700s so either there’s something specific in your case that is causing this or something changed with their process within the last year or so. I would bet on dish changes rather than your credit because it seems you have good credit. It seems logical that they would want customers in a saturated, declining market.. but what do I know?!
Earlier last year, anyone could get a free H3. That promo ended later in the fall.

Your situation is different. You upgraded. They do not use your credit score for that, but your Dish history. New accounts use credit history. Not too many people are getting free H3’s right now. From the way I understand it is low supply, high demand. The market equilibrium works itself out.

It's strange though. The last two times they were pushing me to upgrade, there was no cost. Now when I ask to upgrade, there's a cost. My Dish history is good. Going on 5 years without a single late payment (I autopay).

Edit: Makes sense that an upgrade promotion may have expired.

Earlier last year, anyone could get a free H3. That promo ended later in the fall.

Good timing on my part! Thanks for the info. On a side note.. I don’t think I’ve ever signed up for a tv provider and had to pay for equipment (not including OTT providers). I really find it strange that a promotion is needed for free equipment.. especially for someone with good credit and a 2 year contract.. and especially with competition from OTT services etc. But then again, I’m not in the room when those decisions are made at Dish. As a consumer.. very strange.

Good timing on my part! Thanks for the info. On a side note.. I don’t think I’ve ever signed up for a tv provider and had to pay for equipment (not including OTT providers). I really find it strange that a promotion is needed for free equipment.. especially for someone with good credit and a 2 year contract.. and especially with competition from OTT services etc. But then again, I’m not in the room when those decisions are made at Dish. As a consumer.. very strange.

I had to pay $250 for my first DirecTivo and $300 for the DirecTivo HD (HR10-250), but those were purchased units which I could sell later. I think I had to pay $100 each for my 722 and 622 the first time I signed up for Dish. But yeah, in recent memory, not so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)