Question Regarding SWM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
A buddy who currently has an HR24 & H24 wants to add a HR34 and D* is telling him that he needs a SWM16. Wouldnt the SWM 8 he already has not work?

A buddy who currently has an HR24 & H24 wants to add a HR34 and D* is telling him that he needs a SWM16. Wouldnt the SWM 8 he already has not work?

5+2+2=9 You'll need a SWM16 plus the LNB for it to get it working. Trust me, I know. I had an idiot installer try to convert from a the SWM8 LNB to the SWM16. He put 9 tuners all on one port of the SWM16. It didn't work out too well.

EDIT: Oh wait. I missed the second one being H24. That puts you right at 8. It will work just fine with a SWM8.

5+2+2=9 You'll need a SWM16 plus the LNB for it to get it working. Trust me, I know. I had an idiot installer try to convert from a the SWM8 LNB to the SWM16. He put 9 tuners all on one port of the SWM16. It didn't work out too well.

A buddy who currently has an HR24 & H24 wants to add a HR34

Um, your math is off slightly ...

HR34 5 tuners
HR24 2 tuners
H24 1 tuner

Total tuners = 8

Am I missing something here ?

A buddy who currently has an HR24 & H24 wants to add a HR34

Um, your math is off slightly ...

HR34 5 tuners
HR24 2 tuners
H24 1 tuner

Total tuners = 8

Am I missing something here ?

You snuck in after I edited my post. I read it as 2 HR24's at first.

That's currently the setup I have, HR34/HR24/H24 on a SWM8. So my question is if I add an RVU capable TV to my current configuration to run as a client from my 34, would I need to upgrade my SWM and LNB? Or since the 34 would act as a host, could a SWM8 support this?

What happens if you were to hook 9 tuners up to a swm8? Would it still work unless all were used or powered on concurrently?

If any one of them was powered off (Physically unplugged) at all times, it would work, but if all three were powered up, there would be swm communication errors.

Might kept giving 771b comm with dish error on the last receivr started up.

I suppose that you could go in on one of the HD DVR's and turn a tuner off, you would have a HR34, HR2x with two tuners, and a HR2x with one tuner. When I added a HR24 in January I told DirecTV that I had a HR34, a HR24, and at the time a H25, and I would need a SWM-16 setup. They sent the SWM-16 and install out for free.

bobvick said:
I suppose that you could go in on one of the HD DVR's and turn a tuner off, you would have a HR34, HR2x with two tuners, and a HR2x with one tuner. When I added a HR24 in January I told DirecTV that I had a HR34, a HR24, and at the time a H25, and I would need a SWM-16 setup. They sent the SWM-16 and install out for free.

Is it possible to turn off just 1 of the 5 tuners on the 34? Haven't had the chance to try that yet

Hutch1814 said:
Is it possible to turn off just 1 of the 5 tuners on the 34? Haven't had the chance to try that yet

That would cool if you could. I'm not sure either.

You can turn off a tuner on the 24's but I'm guessing you already knew that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts