Question to the iPhone people

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
My son has a 3gs that was unlocked to work with tmobile. We recently switched to att for service and are now trying to fix his iphone to work with ATT.. He has had it jailbroken for a while.

Well im not sure what he has done but now its giving us an error code "1015" and most of what I can find elsewhere on the web has been unhelpful.

Basically what I want to do is just reinstall the iOS back to factory default wipe the phone and reinstall it. Is this possible with the iphone?

I am lost. When the phone was unlocked I assume you put a T Mobile SIM card in. Have you reinstalled the original AT&T SIM. BTW even if it is jailbroken it should still work on AT&T with the right SIM card---and jailbreaking (which is different from unlocking) should not matter either. Why do you need to restore it or install the latest OS?

You're probably trying to restore it to a version that is too old, i.e. Apple is no longer "signing" (part of the upgrade/restore process). I'm not sure what non-latest version Apple is still allowing in regards to the versions that are jail-breakable.

its really odd. The phone currently does nothing. I only see the apple logo. If I connect to the PC then I can see the Apple and USB Logo. It loads itunes and itunes says "detected phone in recovery mode press ok to continue to reinstall the phone" or something to that effect. Then it goes through the process itunes downloaded the os and it runs update. After the update is complete itunes says "error 1015" then the phone is dead again.

I ran into a similar issue and as you've discovered, there are thousands of different so-called "solutions" out there when you search the 'net... :( I did find one that worked though !! Problem is, I can't remember the details now :D

I ran into a similar issue and as you've discovered, there are thousands of different so-called "solutions" out there when you search the 'net... :( I did find one that worked though !! Problem is, I can't remember the details now :D
Hall,

Do you own every type of phone? It seems like you are very knowledgeable with all major phone OS

Do you own every type of phone? It seems like you are very knowledgeable with all major phone OS
:D

I'm a geek... and a tinkerer... :D

I only have an HTC Eris -- rooted almost as soon as that model's root method was discovered.

My wife and son have iPod touch models, the late 2G models (for marketing reasons, it's considered a 3rd generation but technically is a 2nd generation). I jailbroke both quite a while ago and stuck with iOS 3.1.3 until just recently. This is when I discovered that Apple no longer "signs" OS updates for older versions and you have to use tools like TinyUmbrella.

Ya there are at least 5 or 6 different methods i tried. From using some program called "quickpwn" to installing custom roms etc. Ill try tiny umbrella dunno if i tried that yet.

No, quickpwn is for jail-breaking only (pretty sure). TinyUmbrella is for installing old versions of iOS that Apple no longer allows.

Hall said:
No, quickpwn is for jail-breaking only (pretty sure). TinyUmbrella is for installing old versions of iOS that Apple no longer allows.

Yes it is, but I think you have to run it to save the current IOS on the iDevice in case u need to revert back to it.

If you are trying to restore to a stock firmware and don't care about jailbreaking or unlocking it anymore, put the phone in DFU mode and then restore it. I'm sorry I don't have the exact instructions - but if you Google it you'll find the answer.

If you do want to keep the jailbreak, you'll want to use Pwnage tool (mac only) to restore to a jailbroken version of 4.2.1.

Actually, it's only saving the "SHSH blobs" :D

...and you have to have done certain steps (can't recall details at the moment) before other steps or you're (temporarily) stuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)