QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey guys I am collectiong some feedback to hopefully help out the folks from DISH.

For those of you who have got a Hopper installed what bugs or usability issues have you seen?

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION ONLY. DO NOT USE IT AS A DISCUSSION THREAD. This will help give the DISH folks a better idea of what bugs / usability issues you might have seen without having to go through a bunch of idle conversation.

Thanks!

At setup of hoppers:
Both hoppers showed acquiring satellites and passing but did not store satellite locations detected. As a result, hoppers were unable to download firmware and update. Had to manually run a check switch which stored locations and resumed the setup process downloading firmware.

A progress indicator on software download (DL) would be very helpful if for nothing else than to determine whether the DL is progressing or not. We wasted about 2 hours on DLs that weren't progressing.

At initial install, there are 2 downloads for Hopper. Can this be indicated with a 1/2 and 2/2 or something similar?

Tuner usage on Joeys:
Mother-in-law selected (REC) on a channel she was viewing. This resulted in 2 tuners utilized, one for the recording one for the viewing. This should be reusing the same tuner not two tuners. Otherwise, you run out of tuners fast.

It appears that "Transfer Recordings" to move between internal/external drives is not working.

Overall:
The first access to an external drive can be very slow as it builds the initial index of contents. Is it possible to put up a message to indicate this is happening, instead of leaving the customer wondering whether or not it worked?

Default DVR view is by DVR date, rather than Title A-Z. To me it is much more logical to make title the default view. You generally are looking by name, not DVR date. This will frustrate many customers.

Allow for the ability to tweak the text sizes in both the Guide and the DVR recordings listing. This is a very big issue for my wife.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm dissatisfied, I'm not. But I think honest, polite and specific feedback can help speed the improvements up.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

When I connected my EHD to my Hopper in the living room there was no idication that the Hopper picked it up. I checked to see if it was connected and it did not show up on the Hopper. When I unplugged the EHD the Hopper stated that a USB device was disconnected. It wouldn't show a screen telling me that it detected the EHD when I first connected it. After a day of having it connected, the Hopper finally showed it was there but with no recordings. I had over 300 recordings on it.

What's odd is I first hooked it up to my Hopper in the basement and it worked just fine.

#1 My daughters Joey is linked to the Hopper in the boys room. I turned on her Joey yesturday, and it said something like "no link to Hopper". Sorry, don't remember the exact wording, because as soon as I saw the message, I ran the the boys room to check the Hopper, which was turned off at the time. Turned it on, went back to my daughters room, and the Joey was working. This has only occured once.

#2 Also with my Samsung TV programmed into the 722 remote, I was able to set a sleep timmer by selecting the TV button, then pust the format button to cycle through the times. I can't seem to do this with the Hopper remote. I went through all 35 selections in the remote manager. I tried to use a code from the older remote and it wouldn't accdept it. Is this even possible with the new remotes? I started a thread on this issue before you started this one. Here is the link to it if you want to delete it.

#3 When you want to record a program you are currently watching, you don't get the option of setting a timer when you press record. You have to select "Info", then you have timer options there. Same thing occurs when your in the guide.

The horrible, horrible decision to keep the 96 timer, 576 event limit. Especially on the event limit!
The silver guide is a little harder to read than the 922's blue guide.
My EHD seems to get disconnected after a Hopper reboot, have to unplug and replug it in to get it working again.

No manual timers? I haven't been able to find the option to manually record a certain channel for a certain length of time. i.e. Channel 26 NBC from 4pm - 7pm. Also, when I press "TV" on any of the new Hopper/Joey remotes to control TV functions it flashes red a few times then "SAT" flashes green. Then if I press "INPUT" it just switches back and forth between tuners on the Hopper and displays "This is not an active feature." on the Joeys. I have to program "AUX" with my TV code so I can control the TV and switch inputs.

Last edited:
On my Hopper for the PTAT it's recording the wrong channel for FOX
so I'm not getting any of those shows without creating a timer outside
of PTAT.

PTAT is recording channel 12-00 KTRV for FOX which is now an
independent station when it should be recording channel 11-00 KNIN which is
where Dish has FOX now.

On old receiver (a 722), when viewing the guide, the skip forward button moved the guide forward 24 hours. On my Hopper, it's only skipping to the hour block past what I'm currently viewing (I hope that's clear). Major issue when trying to set timers.

I also have an issue with PTAT not including the correct stations in my DMA (Boise, ID - KTRV and KNIN). I've contacted DIRT on this one.

The new remote is hard on my OME (Old Man Eyes). The small writing on the black background is nearly impossible to read without a bright light. Maybe an illuminated remote?

On old receiver (a 722), when viewing the guide, the skip forward button moved the guide forward 24 hours. On my Hopper, it's only skipping to the hour block past what I'm currently viewing (I hope that's clear). Major issue when trying to set timers.

I also have an issue with PTAT not including the correct stations in my DMA (Boise, ID - KTRV and KNIN). I've contacted DIRT on this one.

The new remote is hard on my OME (Old Man Eyes). The small writing on the black background is nearly impossible to read without a bright light. Maybe an illuminated remote?

The buttons are different. Hit the fast forward button. That will skip ahead a day now. The skip forward button only does it by the hour.

My set up went without a hitch, in fact this was my techs first install. I have 1 hooper and 1 joey installed.

When I click apps, the entire screen freezes up and I have to unplug the hopper to force it to return to the guide.

However when I was on the app screen I could hear the sound of the channels as I turned them. I didnt actually see any apps.

I wish that your favorite list from the hopper would transfer to the joey.

Setting up the timers seems a little buggy, the only way that I confirm that I entered the correct timer is to physically see it on the guide.

Have the arrow pointer similar to a Wii remote where you can move it anywhere you like on the screen.

Dish really needs to enable a keyboard of some type to help with adding timers.

Other than that I have only had this up and running for a few hours.

Last edited:
I would really like to see the maximum number of events increased. I've only got 28 timers right now and the number of events is already maxed out. Cable networks re-run shows so many times it really chews into the max events quickly. This needs to be increased.

Todd

• No MANUAL timers(but if it is like the 922, i guess you can set one from DOL or DRA? i haven't tried yet)
  • DNLA isn't working for me
  • Guide on my projection tv is a little hard to read, the 922's guide was easier to read, hopefully they could make a user selectable color scheme to help with that
  • Weather Channel app locks up, locked up one time, one time i got into it but trying to get out, the image stayed on the screen but i had channel audio but no video, had to do a reset to get it corrected both times
  • no way to change the nightly update under the "update" tile in the settings
  • Remotes come in Limited mode, can be confusing for some in the household
  • when traversing a menu/dvr menu the cursor goes off the right side to the first tile on the left, i think it would make sense to drop down to the next row instead of coming back to the home positition.
  • No option to delete shows from PTAT, yes i know that having them for 8 days is a big point, but after 8 days of recording 3-4 hours of 4 networks it is going to get a little bulky in trying to find your show you want. i currently have my PTAT set up by network but FOX's folder already has 8 recordings in it that i won't watch.
I may have more but that is all that come to mind right now. Even with these minor things, the Hopper/Joey system is a huge leap ahead of what i had installed, no pun intended! ;)

The buttons are different. Hit the fast forward button. That will skip ahead a day now. The skip forward button only does it by the hour.
Close, that should be three hours for the skip fwd/back buttons.
Rewind button will move back a day.

1) hopper won't play movies from EHD that are no longer subscribed to. (e.g) I used to pay for epix and recorded movies back then, I no longer subscribe to EPIX and the hopper won't let me play these movies. I get a error 013, not currently subscription channel. Got temp authorization to EPIX from DIRT to test and as soon as they added that channel, the movies worked again. They worked all along with my 722K.

2) DLNA home networking won't work at all. The hopper says no devices listed. I know my network is working fine as I see PlayOn on my PS3 as soon as i added it to my PC. This should just work with windows 7.

3) the popup when pressing record immediately closes. If I press it about 20 times it will stay open. (copied from below, I have this too)

4) VOD and movies don't have collapsible menu option like RSN do.

5) the sounds equalizer (tru volume) does not work when the signal changes from 5ch to 2ch. When a 2ch commercial comes on, it knocks your socks off!!

Last edited:
- Weather Channel app is blank half of the time. Crashes completely sometimes during add cities.
- Would not allow me to add my local FOX HD channel to favorites. I could add any other channel except that one. I eventually got it to work by adding several other channels first. I have seen other reports of this issue elsewhere. I could select the channel and save, but it wouldn't stick.
- Sometimes in the guide, the popup when pressing record immediately closes. If I press it about 20 times it will stay open.
- Hopper resets if I attempt to view Moca status on a system with no Joeys.
- Keep at most limit is ignored.

General annoyance about OnDemand and Blockbuster: Please ignore leading "A" or "The" when sorting titles. There is no reason for something like "The Prestige" to be in the T's instead of the P's.

Last edited:
1) When pushing channel up it would change channel but bring up the receiver screen (red button) as well.
2) While using Joe and streaming service it would say "lost server" (something like that) and black out both TV's.
3) No guide data would show when doing a search (seems to be fixed).
4) Guide needs to have larger sizes options.
5) Remote control flies across room when my sports team screws up, SERIOUSLY, the remote is way to slick.
6) Dumped the 722k due to sound drops.....Still an issue......
7) Timers that are also on PTAT are listed in both locations (shouldn't be in PTAT if a timer is set IMHO).
8) IR function is off by default (Spent hours looking for new code for universal remote, hopper just wasn't taking IR signals) Grrrr :)
9) Should be able to do a search than hit record to set timer but instead you must select from list than pick an episode, than set timer.

1) When pushing channel up it would change channel but bring up the receiver screen (red button) as well.
2) While using Joe and streaming service it would say "lost server" (something like that) and black out both TV's.
3) No guide data would show when doing a search (seems to be fixed).
4) Guide needs to have larger sizes options.
5) Remote control flies across room when my sports team screws up, SERIOUSLY, the remote is way to slick.
6) Dumped the 722k due to sound drops.....Still an issue......
7) Timers that are also on PTAT are listed in both locations (shouldn't be in PTAT if a timer is set IMHO).
8) IR function is off by default (Spent hours looking for new code for universal remote, hopper just wasn't taking IR signals) Grrrr :)
9) Should be able to do a search than hit record to set timer but instead you must select from list than pick an episode, than set timer.

That's hilarious. Best line yet.

-Nested channels for small groups of channels like RSN's and International packages are inefficient and add clutter to the EPG. (They are great for very large groups of channels, though, such as SiriusXM, Dish Music, PPV, League Packages like MLB, NHL, etc, though.)

-CC settings do not have enough options (font type, spacing, position, border, etc). Plus, when choosing Yellow, it appears as orange on the screen. (Orange is not as legible as yellow.)

-"My Account" app completely freezing or hanging for a long time before being usable.

-EPG display settings are missing important options (time span, number of rows, video-in-guide, etc)

-FFWD/RWD and SKIP+/- buttons control the EPG opposite of VIP models. It is also the opposite of logic and intuition. Logically and intuitively, SKIP should skip a day at a time, while FFWD should fast forward by a few hours at a time.

-Picture size and position adjustment needs smaller increments/finer adjustments.

-DLNA not fully compliant.

-App selection is very poor.

Last edited:
No frame advance/rewind on Joey's trick play.

Can't just press position to start/cancel side by side PIP like the VIPs.

Once a Joey shows lost signal on viewing status screen, shows error 004 and nothing fixes it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts