QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This happened with the 922 also, after several days...a week it settled down and was presumedly accurate. I assume since the softwares are similar the hopper will follow suit.....hopefully.
Except that the 922 went the other way indicating more than 200% used. Sometimes a reboot solved the problem but often you just had to wait. It did eventually correct itself.

Except that the 922 went the other way indicating more than 200% used. Sometimes a reboot solved the problem but often you just had to wait. It did eventually correct itself.
My second/replacement 922 did both? I finally just ignored the issue and it went away.

2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys installed on 4/6. Installer arrived at 9:00a and left at 4:45p. A number of these have already been mentioned, but I will reiterate, because those are generally the most important things to fix, IMHO.

1) When in the "My Folders" view, multiple episodes of the same show don't get grouped together in the folders. This worked fine on 622/722.

2) I would like "My Hopper" to always come up in the "My Folders" view. It does, until you do certain things, like look at programming on an EHD and then go back to "My Hopper".

3) "Record This" seems to give you no option to protect the program or save to a certain folder. You have to navigate through to the timer you just created and edit it, which is a real pain. Is there a way to do this at the time you set the timer, or at least change what the defaults are? Everywhere I see the option to set to defaults, it seems to only apply to the beginning/end timer extensions and the number of shows to save, not to protection and folder.

4) The 622/722 used to tell you how much space was left on the DVR (in units of time, which I know is just a useful guide, but useful nonetheless). The Hopper only shows % full. Showing either estimated time or exact amount of disk space would be much more helpful.

5) The 622/722 used to show program size and an accumulated size in MB as you selected programs to move to an EHD. The Hopper does not show anything... including how much space the programs are taking up, which makes it impossible to know how much I can transfer.

6) Many people have requested a "list" view (like the 622/722 has) as an alternate to the "tile" view. I would definitely use the "list" view as well. I like the graphics/icons, but I would gladly give them up for a better interface (although I think they could co-exist with the "list" view). Some problems with the "tile" view are:
(a) Inside a folder, if the background icon is white, then you can't read the white info text on top of it!
(b) The text size is forced to be pretty small and hard to read in this view.
(c) The scrolling text on the icons is annoying as well... "list" view would likely not have this problem.

7) I typically pressed the "cancel" or "info" button on the 622/722 to see how much time is left in the program I'm watching. I can do the same thing with the Hopper, but I have to squint as well.

8) If the timer limit that I've been reading about is in place, this is going to be a problem for me soon.

9) I think I get where DISH is going by dedicating so much space to online shows, but this still should be configurable. I am a little upset that the advertising tells you 2 TB space with no indication that you only have access to 25% of that for normal recordings. If I had known that, I may not have upgraded. I realize I can get more EHD space, but that doesn't really justify the misleading advertising.

First bug I've encountered with the Hopper - set timer to record the Celtics game on CSN-NE HD, timer started 3 minutes early while Dish was still showing the "check back to see your local team in HD" screen. 3 minutes later when the signal cut over to the pre-game, the recording hung and no amount of encouragement would make it go past that point. This is the first RSN game I've tried to record with the Hopper, I'll set another timer for the Tuesday night game and see if it was just an isolated issue.

Nope, similar things happen on ViP receivers. When the switchover to the actual HD feed occurs, strange things happen to the recording. The only known way (AFAIK) to work around it is to set the timer to 0 minutes start early.

dare2be said:
Nope, similar things happen on ViP receivers. When the switchover to the actual HD feed occurs, strange things happen to the recording. The only known way (AFAIK) to work around it is to set the timer to 0 minutes start early.

Strange, I recorded hundreds of games with my 722, never had that happen.

I'm trying to set the AUX as the default volume control source, however, when I follow the instructions in the manual and press 0 in the sequence, my Onkyo HT-S6200 receiver changes its input to DVD/BR. I've tried clearing the codes, learning the codes, yet none of these seem to fix the problem. Any ideas?

i have 2 joeys viewing TV at the same time on 1 hopper. For some reason 1 is ok with viewing TV fine. The other Joey is saying "Acquiring satellite signal" and the laundry list of issues.

I have PTAT running on this box since its' stuck. I also set a timer for a program on PTAT. Not sure if there's some sort of conflict because a tuner is locked out?

Already tried resetting all hoppers and joeys.

I adding some timers and I got a Conflict Screen. A couple of issues.

1) When I choose to Edit a timer to eliminate the conflict, the popup to change the timer has an Edit button on the bottom right. It should say Save or Close.

2) The Conflict screen shows four channels, two of which had nothing scheduled to be in Conflict.

3) When leaving the Conflict screen, if you haven't Saved, the popup asks if you want to Discard the changes made or Not. A more user centric popup would have a Save button too.

...6) Many people have requested a "list" view (like the 622/722 has) as an alternate to the "tile" view. I would definitely use the "list" view as well. I like the graphics/icons, but I would gladly give them up for a better interface (although I think they could co-exist with the "list" view). Some problems with the "tile" view are:
(a) Inside a folder, if the background icon is white, then you can't read the white info text on top of it!
(b) The text size is forced to be pretty small and hard to read in this view.
(c) The scrolling text on the icons is annoying as well... "list" view would likely not have this problem.

Put your recordings in folders. When you click on a folder icon, you get a list view. On PTAT, could be 4 channel icons containing lists sorted the way you want.

Can you imagine the length of lists if that were the primary interface. The new icon design is an elegant interface solution to the vastly increased number of recordings that can be made on this new product. The old ways are necessarily gone. After a little time, you will grow to like the new way better and you'll learn the features to make it work better for you.

Last edited:
It appears that my Hopper is changing my guide setting to "My Channels" instead of leaving it at the edited listing I made when it shuts down. I need to keep a closer watch, but for now it seems each morning the guide is back to "My Channels" and I have to reset it to my listing.
Ghpr13:(

It appears that my Hopper is changing my guide setting to "My Channels" instead of leaving it at the edited listing I made when it shuts down. I need to keep a closer watch, but for now it seems each morning the guide is back to "My Channels" and I have to reset it to my listing.
Ghpr13:(
Yes, several people including myself see this. For me, it's not every morning but a random occurrence. This also happened on my 922. Annoying but after a while you get used to reselecting the correct channel list almost without thinking about it.

Stuck record light

I noticed the record light on the front of the Hopper is always on. PTAT is disabled and Viewing Status shows nothing recording. I've rebooted, unplugged Hopper and restored to factory defaults. I've even set up three recordings simultaneously and let them finish. No joy.

Anyone else seeing this? Any suggestions?

Edit: The problem seems to have gone away by itself.

Last edited:
kwindrem said:
I noticed the record light on the front of the Hopper is always on. PTAT is disabled and Viewing Status shows nothing recording. I've rebooted, unplugged Hopper and restored to factory defaults. I've even set up three recordings simultaneously and let them finish. No joy.

As long as it is still recording I don't think a stuck light is that big of a deal...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Since the 207 Download, I have had my Joey lose connection to the Hopper, requiring me to reset the MOCA connection. The Joey is also connected to Ethernet.

You might try turning the receiver off, does the red light go off then? If so turn it on, start a anything channel recording for a few seconds and press stop. You should get a message about stopping, push yes and see if the light has gone off. Sounds like a reset issue to me.

You might try turning the receiver off, does the red light go off then? If so turn it on, start a anything channel recording for a few seconds and press stop. You should get a message about stopping, push yes and see if the light has gone off. Sounds like a reset issue to me.
Record stayed on even with the receiver "off". Tried the recording/stop trick. Didn't help. Reset or hard reset (power) didn't help. The record light would be on during boot. Now it is not.

The problem has since gone away on it's own. I did a couple more resets one with the smart card out so who knows if it was the resets or it just fixed itself.

I am having an issue with all of my remotes not being able to control my TVs. If I press the TV button it flashes and then the SAT button lights up as if it is going back to SAT mode. Volume and On/Off functions work for the TV but it's like it won't let me change to any mode other than SAT.

Not sure if this is a bug or not and maybe this is just me not understanding how it works since this is my 1st DVR, but lets say I am in the guide and see show I want to record. I press select and choose to record the series. Is this supposed to record every show on just that channel or across all channels? Right now it is only recording shows on the one channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts