QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just compared the sound quality of the Dish Home Network vs my Sony Google TV. I'm using the Mezzmo server for both and I find that the quality of the Dish music is somewhat compressed and doesn't give me the full range that I'm getting with the Google TV. Just thought I would drop my 2 cents.

We came home yesterday late afternoon after two days out of town. First booted up the PC to check email where everything was working fine with my network then went to turn on the TV. The Hopper started up but no picture or sound, just a black screen. Would not change channels and when I went to the menu and DVR, all recordings were gone. Checked the network settings and lost my network and only showed and IP of 169...... Tried to reset network and connection and still nothing. Reset using the Red button and still same result. Finally unplugged the box, my modem and router for a few minutes. Started all back up but it still did not see my network. Again went to reset connection and network and it finally recognized the network. Still no sound or picture. Went to guide and selected a different channel then pix and sound came back. Went back to previous channel and was now okay. Then it did not see the Joey. Went to the master bdrm where the Joey lost the network as well. Went to settings to reset connections and network and then it too saw my network and showed linked to the Hopper however when I go to the Hopper it does not show as linked to the Joey. Everything is working okay and I can view from either the Hopper to Joey or visa verse but still does not show as linked from the Hopper to Joey (Joey is ethernet connected as well). Also was weird that two timers failed to record. The timers are still there though. Since these were on PTAT I was able to go to PTAT folder and save the two shows and now are in my folders. Haven’t had any issues in this regard at all until this. Possible I guess that something occurred with my network while we were gone and came back before we returned and just had to go through the motions to get my Dish equipment back however that is very inconvenient if that is the case and shouldn't the boxes still receive signal from the sat even if the network is down or are they reliant on each other????

Has anyone noticed Closed Caption lagging behind? When I jump past the commercials it seems to take quite awhile for Cc to catch up, whereas if I get to the program and back up 10 seconds then start, cc get right with it. I use the 30 sec jumps not fast forward so haven't checked cc that way.

Moe

I rarely use the format button (usually only to zoom a window boxed image) but I was checking it out and it is not changing the image properly.
On a HD channel,
Stretch only stretches half of what it should leaving half of the black bar
Partial zoom increases the height to the full screen.
ZOOM just barely increases the height from partial.
Gray bar only is half the needed width so you have a half black/half gray bar.
On a SD channel.
Stretch does what it should.
Partial zoom does a full zoom
Zoom actually shrinks the image slightly.
Gray bar does what it should.

I rarely use the format button (usually only to zoom a window boxed image) but I was checking it out and it is not changing the image properly.
On a HD channel,
Stretch only stretches half of what it should leaving half of the black bar
Partial zoom increases the height to the full screen.
ZOOM just barely increases the height from partial.
Gray bar only is half the needed width so you have a half black/half gray bar.
On a SD channel.
Stretch does what it should.
Partial zoom does a full zoom
Zoom actually shrinks the image slightly.
Gray bar does what it should.
i noticed this too, but it was only on one of "The Movie Channel" channels, can't remember which one though. i found it very odd.

Had an issue last night where the DVR showed that I was recording the same timer event twice at the same time on the same channel. I did cancel one of them and the other kept on going. Weird.

Also later I was watching the History Channel and I got the acquiring signal screen like a rain fade event. Hit the channel up button to tune in another channel and then immediately back to the History Channel with no problems.

EDIT: Another issue. Just tried to do a theme search for Sports - Hockey - Live Sports AND Sports - Playoffs - Live Sports in the program guide and it found 0 results. Can't find any hockey games...

Last edited:
I've gone through and setup one favorites list (List 1) on our Hopper and of course change to this list when watching tv. If the Hopper powers down for any reason (inactivity, reboot, etc) the Guide is always set to My Channels when I power it back up, forcing me to switch to the List I want (List 1). The two Joeys we have do not exhibit this behavior and will power up to the same list that was active during our previous viewing session.

I have had my Hopper for about 2 weeks. There have been some software issues that I can live with but the last 2 days my Hopper has been resetting about 4-5 times a day and it's starting to get really annoying. Is this just a software issue or does anyone think that I might have a bad Hopper.

Thanks in advance.

I have had my Hopper for about 2 weeks. There have been some software issues that I can live with but the last 2 days my Hopper has been resetting about 4-5 times a day and it's starting to get really annoying. Is this just a software issue or does anyone think that I might have a bad Hopper.
try unplugging from power and plugging back in. It's something else to try beyond just the red reset button. (if you haven't already)

If that doesn't help, message DIRT and see if they've seen any other reports of something like this.

Every day I have to reset my Caller ID. I make sure the settings are correct and do a reset. Then it works all day. For whatever reason the next day it doesn't work again. Also, my channel guide on the Hopper goes to "My Channels" every day instead of the my favorites guide that was selected. It would be nice if the TV button would also let me change inputs. I can set the AUX button to my TV and it will allow me to change inputs. Too bad I need that button for something else. I'm also staying away from PTAT until there is something done about it.

Sometimes it is hard to delete recorded shows that are over. It will allow delete for that show only after another show has been watched or if all timers set for the night are done.

There is no excuse for the networks running the shows over in the first place. Shows like DWTS and American Idol go on and on with needless BS and could easily end on time. They are well aware the people use their DVRs. You'd think they would like the fact that folks can watch more than one show in the same time slot now. CBS seems to keep coming up with ways to push CSI Miami out 30 to 40 minutes. I always add about 60 minutes to the timer. Dish should allow a 60 minute pad to PTAT.

On old receiver (a 722), when viewing the guide, the skip forward button moved the guide forward 24 hours. On my Hopper, it's only skipping to the hour block past what I'm currently viewing (I hope that's clear). Major issue when trying to set timers.

I also have an issue with PTAT not including the correct stations in my DMA (Boise, ID - KTRV and KNIN). I've contacted DIRT on this one.

The new remote is hard on my OME (Old Man Eyes). The small writing on the black background is nearly impossible to read without a bright light. Maybe an illuminated remote?

skip button moves guide 3 hours, fastforward button moves guide a day.

Every day I have to reset my Caller ID. I make sure the settings are correct and do a reset. Then it works all day. For whatever reason the next day it doesn't work again. Also, my channel guide on the Hopper goes to "My Channels" every day instead of the my favorites guide that was selected. It would be nice if the TV button would also let me change inputs. I can set the AUX button to my TV and it will allow me to change inputs. Too bad I need that button for something else. I'm also staying away from PTAT until there is something done about it.

Sometimes it is hard to delete recorded shows that are over. It will allow delete for that show only after another show has been watched or if all timers set for the night are done.

There is no excuse for the networks running the shows over in the first place. Shows like DWTS and American Idol go on and on with needless BS and could easily end on time. They are well aware the people use their DVRs. You'd think they would like the fact that folks can watch more than one show in the same time slot now. CBS seems to keep coming up with ways to push CSI Miami out 30 to 40 minutes. I always add about 60 minutes to the timer. Dish should allow a 60 minute pad to PTAT.

Press the yellow button, remote manager, limited mode, DISABLE. Your remote will now work your TV.

Pretty often now, we press 'info' on the remote for a DVR'ed show (highlight the show on the DVR interface in 'no Folder' folder, and press 'info' button). The info is flat wrong. Sometime it is a different episode. Sometimes a different show altogether. I am not sure if info is device specific. But, we have been noticing this on our living room Joey (which we use the most).​

Thank you, n0qc2. I did the yellow button thing for getting the remote to control the inputs on my TV and it worked great. I wish all the fixes were that simple. I noticed that my guide has kept the proper favorites setting for the last couple days. I don't know why but I'm glad it's working right now. Maybe it won't last. I wish I could get the caller ID to work properly.

I have one hopper and 2 joey's. While hopper is recording PTAT in the evening, the joey's can only watch whatever other channel is being watched on the hopper or a DVR program. This makes the system almost unusable for my family. Dish says the only solution is to install a second Hopper for $100. I find this to be really misleading advertising on Dish's part.

I transfered my recorded programs to an external hard drive from 722. Had hopper installed hooked up hard drive and transfered shows to hopper to make it easier for my wife to find her shows. One of the shows saved under the PTAT folder and now won't go away. It's been more than two weeks. I tried saving and transfering back to the external hard drive but the folder still remained in the PTAT. I turned off the PTAT and let everthing expire, the show still remains in the PTAT folder. It's not effecting preformance the system runs great it's just an annoyance. It would be helpful if dish allowed access to the PTAT folder to delete unwanted shows. If anyone has any ideas your help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)