QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
Has anyone else noticed pixelating on the joeys? I have a Hopper and 2 joeys, 1 joey pixelates every so often (I have only had it for a few days) the moca connection shows fine. It could be the show, but I don't think so. the lines are fine and not that long.

Thanks

pnahre

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 11, 2006
Is there 2 wires going from the Dish or DPP Switch to the Solo Node and the Hopper connected to the Host port on the node and a 2-Way splitter on the Client port to connect the Joeys?

It appears to be wired correctly. The interesting thing is that last night while the hopper was recording PTAT, the joey's seemed fine? A software glitch perhaps before?

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 24, 2006
It appears to be wired correctly. The interesting thing is that last night while the hopper was recording PTAT, the joey's seemed fine? A software glitch perhaps before?
quite possible as there's a few PTAT bugs. If it shows up again, private message DIRT to report it.

RJS

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 1, 2003
Hazel Green, WI
Pardon my ignorance but what is this HIC unit I've been reading about? I have my ethernet cable connected to my Joey downstairs near my computer. The installer never said anything about needing a HIC unit. I had a USB internet connector upstairs on my Hopper but whenever I'd run a test connection it would say it failed. I called Dish and the CSR had me do a few things that didn't help and so that's when I tried watching a Blockbuster movie on the Hopper and it downloaded and played just fine, no problem with buffering or anything. I disconnected the USB plug and it still worked fine. She never mentioned needing a HIC unit but most of these CSRs are underinformed anyway. Maybe in a few months they'll get enough expierience with the Hopper and they'll be more help.

So back to my question. Do I need one of these units and if so why?

isaacmorseMI

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 5, 2009
Southwest Michigan
Pardon my ignorance but what is this HIC unit I've been reading about? I have my ethernet cable connected to my Joey downstairs near my computer. The installer never said anything about needing a HIC unit. I had a USB internet connector upstairs on my Hopper but whenever I'd run a test connection it would say it failed. I called Dish and the CSR had me do a few things that didn't help and so that's when I tried watching a Blockbuster movie on the Hopper and it downloaded and played just fine, no problem with buffering or anything. I disconnected the USB plug and it still worked fine. She never mentioned needing a HIC unit but most of these CSRs are underinformed anyway. Maybe in a few months they'll get enough expierience with the Hopper and they'll be more help.

So back to my question. Do I need one of these units and if so why?

You connect a HIC next to your Joey and it provides the whole system with connectivity.

gpflepsen

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
SE NE
2H/2J installed 17 days ago. It took about 5 days before Part Time Some Time worked. Now after a programming change PTAT is set to enable, showed it was scheduled in the daily scedule but nothing in the guide. DISH sent another hit to the receivers and now it just sits there enabled but without anything in the guide or daily schedule. PTAT not ready for prime time in my house...

Jim Koenig

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 12, 2009
central minnesota
Has anyone experienced Hopper freezing amid its nightly reboot? I have two hoppers (installed on 3/19.) In general I have experenced relatively few problems however twice Hopper #1 has failured to complete it's nightly reboot successfully. It hangs at a point where my TV screen has a window asking to confirm connecting to my external hard drive. Since this hopper has my "alarm clock" autotune timer, it has caused me to be late to work. I moved my external hard drive to hopper #2 just in case this is the hard drive confirmation is the cause of the freeze.

fuzzy

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jul 26, 2004
charlottsville,va
when recording 3 shows on the hopper without PTAT you can never delete any prerecored shows until at least one tuner is free. reset doesn't help this

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Before, on my created favorites channel list, I would have to add my local Fox every morning when I turned my Hopper on, and it would stay untill the box went to sleep Now, it wil not stay selected at all. I select it, save, and it's not on the list. Go back into edit the list, and it's unchecked. WTF!!!

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
Before, on my created favorites channel list, I would have to add my local Fox every morning when I turned my Hopper on, and it would stay untill the box went to sleep Now, it wil not stay selected at all. I select it, save, and it's not on the list. Go back into edit the list, and it's unchecked. WTF!!!

I had the same problem yesterday when setting up a favorites list. I could select my local CW channel to add it to the favorites list and do a save but when I opened the list the channel wouldn’t show up. Edited the list again and did a select all delete and started from scratch. After the save, the channel showed up.

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
hemway said:
I had the same problem yesterday when setting up a favorites list. I could select my local CW channel to add it to the favorites list and do a save but when I opened the list the channel wouldn’t show up. Edited the list again and did a select all delete and started from scratch. After the save, the channel showed up.

I'll give that a try. It's only doing it on the Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Supporting Founder
Just thought I'd reiterate my two biggest peeves:

Nested (collapsible) channels:

- International (especially Japanese, which consists of ONE channel) do not need this feature
- Local Regional Sports Nets also do not. (Most people would like to see their handful of RSN's displayed full-time in the guide.)
- Pay Per View channels do ! (They take up ridiculous amounts of guide real estate.)

Program Guide Default
-The program guide keeps defaulting back to My Channels daily, instead of staying on the last guide used. (Please fix it to stay on last used guide, or create a user setting to choose a default guide, including "last used guide" as a choice.)

chrimiller48

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 6, 2012
columbus ohio
I have the same thing happening on my 1H/3J setup. The FAV list on my Hopper just won't keep FOX HD on the list, even after I "SAVE" it. It works fine on the Joey's. If I want to record something manually on FOX HD, I have to do it from one of the Joey's or switch to the "All Channels" or "My HD Channels" list on my Hopper.

I'll give that a try. It's only doing it on the Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
I have the same thing happening on my 1H/3J setup. The FAV list on my Hopper just won't keep FOX HD on the list, even after I "SAVE" it. It works fine on the Joey's. If I want to record something manually on FOX HD, I have to do it from one of the Joey's or switch to the "All Channels" or "My HD Channels" list on my Hopper.

That's exactly what I had to do Saturday night to be able to record the NASCAR race.

GOMD

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 14, 2012
cleveland
I have had problems with resuming a recorded program where I left off (it starts over instead), random reboots when skipping ahead too much, and a weird glitch when stepping ahead gets to
Live tv. The the skip ahead and live tv icons on the screen alternate and the program freezes and jumps. I usually have to pause the program and wait a second before playing again normally.

GOMD

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 14, 2012
cleveland
Also, as many have said, I cannot view my timers thru dish online or the iPhone remote access app. Sling works to watch live tv and recordings, just cannot set or see timers on my hoppers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)