QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I sorta prodded my friend into getting a Hopper/Joey cause he was thinking about it after me telling him about it.

So far mostly so good, but one thing is driving him nuts: He says (and I haven't been to his house again to view this myself yet) that with PTAT disabled and recording three things at same time, that at the Hopper TV he is unable to rewind or start over any of the three programs while three are recording. He says he can tune to any of the three, but has no control over any, even though one of three tuners clearly states it is being used by the Hopper TV.

1. he says he's made sure the three joeys are "off"/standby.
2. he says that he's used the red button, to select each of the three of the tuner's recordings and can't control them.
3. he says he's gone into his recordings list and that he doesn't have the option to start them over.
4. he says that when recording 3 at same time, he has sometimes seen a blank/black screen at Hopper TV when tuning to one of the recordings. Says "info" will display when this happens, but not program. also says that these actually playback correctly after recording is complete.

Anyone care to comment on this situation? I imagine that it should be possible to control at least one of the three current recordings at the Hopper, no?

I'm curious if others have experienced this or not. Thanks

I sorta prodded my friend into getting a Hopper/Joey cause he was thinking about it after me telling him about it.

So far mostly so good, but one thing is driving him nuts: He says (and I haven't been to his house again to view this myself yet) that with PTAT disabled and recording three things at same time, that at the Hopper TV he is unable to rewind or start over any of the three programs while three are recording. He says he can tune to any of the three, but has no control over any, even though one of three tuners clearly states it is being used by the Hopper TV.

1. he says he's made sure the three joeys are "off"/standby.
2. he says that he's used the red button, to select each of the three of the tuner's recordings and can't control them.
3. he says he's gone into his recordings list and that he doesn't have the option to start them over.
4. he says that when recording 3 at same time, he has sometimes seen a blank/black screen at Hopper TV when tuning to one of the recordings. Says "info" will display when this happens, but not program. also says that these actually playback correctly after recording is complete.

Anyone care to comment on this situation? I imagine that it should be possible to control at least one of the three current recordings at the Hopper, no?

I'm curious if others have experienced this or not. Thanks

Go to the DVR page and select that to watch rather than selecting the channel from the red button. Selecting a tuner is selecting a "live" program so rewind/skip back would only go back a few seconds.

I would love if they would allow you to collapse the VOD and movies. It takes up too much menu to go through that every time when I rarely watch that stuff.

Dish, just because I am forced to look at that every time, I am not going to order more. Please just let me collapse these

Go to the DVR page and select that to watch rather than selecting the channel from the red button. Selecting a tuner is selecting a "live" program so rewind/skip back would only go back a few seconds.
He's tried that. He says there is no option to start from beginning from the DVR list. Also not sure why using rewind wouldn't allow someone to rewind to the beginning of the recording.

Couldn't you just make a custom channel list without those channels? I agree it would be a good feature however.

yes, I suppose you could, but it's a PITA to go through all channels and make a list. I have the list I already want less the VOD and Movies. my HD is all I want.

I didn't look through this whole thread, so it may have already been reported.

At the end of every show, even on live TV, there is a brief pixelation of the screen and the sound chops out. It does not matter the channel I'm on. When there is ~1 minute remaining on a program, it happens every time. The incident is very brief (maybe 1-2 seconds), but given that it happens so frequently, it has become mildly annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this?

yes, I suppose you could, but it's a PITA to go through all channels and make a list. I have the list I already want less the VOD and Movies. my HD is all I want.

It's really simpler to just redo your custom channel list, leaving all the VOD and Movies channels out of it. That is how mine is setup, and it makes skimming through the Guide a breeze.

Ghpr13:)

I did post this in another thread as well, please delete if that is not allowed ;)

Last nights PTAT failed to record and go into my PTAT folder. Last PTAT shows there are from the 15th. Fortunately, I also have Timers set for those shows we care about and they did record into My Folders with the exception of The Voice. From My Folders it shows as 3 recordings, one is blank, one is actually DWTS, and on comes up with an error code that states the file could not be opened error code 5. Weird.

I didn't look through this whole thread, so it may have already been reported.

At the end of every show, even on live TV, there is a brief pixelation of the screen and the sound chops out. It does not matter the channel I'm on. When there is ~1 minute remaining on a program, it happens every time. The incident is very brief (maybe 1-2 seconds), but given that it happens so frequently, it has become mildly annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, all the time as well. I haven't really noticed it on live tv, since frankly I don't really watch live tv, but I do notice it on every recorded show. It's just as you describe.

-Todd

I have two "bugs" that I noticed happening with my Hopper. One is that after I have watched a recorded show, and exit out of "My Recordings", a VOD "Locked" screen will pop up asking for my code. You can't channel up or channel down. It just stays on that screen. IIRC, I have to bring the Guide up, pick another channel, then it will change to the channel I picked.

The second "bug" is under "My Recordings" I have chosen Folders, but I notice that when you click on the Folder I want to open, shows like Letterman are not grouped together, there just all over the place in the Folder. Am I missing something?

Ghpr13:(

Ghpr13 said:
I have two "bugs" that I noticed happening with my Hopper. One is that after I have watched a recorded show, and exit out of "My Recordings", a VOD "Locked" screen will pop up asking for my code. You can't channel up or channel down. It just stays on that screen. IIRC, I have to bring the Guide up, pick another channel, then it will change to the channel I picked.

The second "bug" is under "My Recordings" I have chosen Folders, but I notice that when you click on the Folder I want to open, shows like Letterman are not grouped together, there just all over the place in the Folder. Am I missing something?

Ghpr13:(

I think you can choose a sorting option when your in a folder.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Had my Hopper & 2 Joeys for 2 weeks. Hopper in living room & 1 Joey in master bedroom on wired ethernet. Yesterday, my wired network died. Could not pull a valid DHCP address. Wireless was fine. Unplugged everything from my router. Added my main PC, everything was good. Added my work IP phone, all good. Switch in living room where Hopper lives, all good. Switch in bedroom with Joey, dead in the water. Looked at the switch, only port with activity was the Joey port. Unplugged the ethernet from the Joey, all was well again. Nothing in the router logs as to what the Joey was doing. Complete mystery.

Had my first bug last night on one of my hoppers. I don't have PTAT enabled, I have a timer set to record all new episodes of "The Voice". Last night I walked into the room knowing that It should have been 30 minutes into a recording of last nights show. There was no red light on the Hopper, so I immediately turned on the TV and starting looking. I hit the red button, showed me all 3 tuners, 1st turning was tuned to "The Voice" but didn't indicate it was recording it, second tuner said it was watching a different channel and 3rd tuner said available. I hit the guide button and looked at the channel in question and it showed 3 little red circles on it. Not sure what the red means, usually they are blue circles. I tuned to that channel and it was just black. No sound, no video, nothing. I hit the red button again and tuned to the other tuner that said watching and it tuned to that channel no problem, all audio and video working. I tried to tune to the 3rd tuner that said available and it would just go blank and said it was on "The Voice" channel and had no audio or video. It wasn't recording so I couldn't stop the recording to fix it. I tuned to the tuner that was working and tried to go to "The Voice" and that worked, but the other two tuners were blank still. I tried to hit the record button on the working tuner and it would not let me. I changed the channel and hit record and that worked. As soon as it started recording the other channel. The other 2 tuners came back online and started working, even though it never recorded any of the remaining time of "The Voice" and it would't let me record it either. It just did nothing when I hit record button on that channel. I guess I could have possible deleted my timer and reset it up and it might have worked, but by the time all 3 tuners started working again, there was only 10 minutes left of my show.

There were no conflicts, there were no other timers set to record any other shows in the same time slot, and the joey that is linked with this hopper wasn't been used and hasn't even been turned on in several days. Not sure what happened and have to believe it is a bug.

new replacement hopper getting stuck a couple times and needing a reboot. Joeys won't connect and hopper either goes black or stays on it's standby screen.

(Reported to DIRT to forward to engineering)

One issue we're having, sometimes several times per evening is that the picture and sound freeze or skip a few seconds while watching a recording from PTAT. If we rewind back to just before where the skip happened, it's still there wen playing back again. I would imagine this means that it was recorded that way. It doesn't seem to be network specific as we have seen it at least on 2 different networks, CBS and NBC to be specific. Unfortunately, it sometimes happens several times in one evening. I have called and reported this and was told it might be a software issue having to do with the HD in the hopper choking on a bad transmission. I was asked to disconnect the Hopper for ten seconds and reconnect again and see if it happens again. I've done this, and that did not fix the issue. It doesn't happen every night but we'll see this a few times a week.

Not sure what's causing this but I hope it's fixed soon.

I keep having problems with the search function on this site, so forgive me if this was already reported. I love my Hopper system and it works well for me, but here are the things that I noticed and only point 1 is a issue for me. The other stuff is just something that could be designed better.

1) The Themes search function doesn't work well. For example If I search for movies that are "on now" it will shows me very quick the icons which movies are available. But when you then click the movie to see which channels and times the movie is on, it just keeps on showing the green download bar. The work around I got now is then press the yellow key and change "on Now" into "program guide". "on Next" also doesn't work. When I just had the Hopper I didn't have this problem. It sometimes happened in the regular search function, but a reset fixed that. But the reset doesn't seem to fix the Themes search function.

2) If you set a timer to record a series only new episodes and I want to make sure it records the show the first times it airs; I have to make sure that I select the first air date in the guide or search results. Otherwise the new episodes won’t be recorded on the first air date. For example: Game of Thrones will first air on Sunday. But if I select the show in the guide or search results on Wednesday with the record only new episodes. It then will always record the show on Wednesday instead of Sunday when the show first airs.
I don’t see what the use is of that. Why would you want that? It is not to avoid conflicts, because when a conflict occurs it will record the show the next time it airs. ( that is something I love by the way.

3) What is the benefit of the “seek and record” instead of just setting a series timer? “Seek and record” has two problems. You can’t edit it and if a show comes on two channels at the same time it will record both of them!

4) My hopper every time I turn it on it does quick a quick check switch. Not a big deal because it is very quick. But the strange thing is when I turn on my Joey ( and the Hopper is switch of ) it doesn’t do that. Why?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts