Questions about adding 5th line and 61.5

Hart5150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Temple, Pa
My in-laws want to add 61.5 and a 942 to thier current set up. I am going to do this for them but I am not really expierced with Dish as I am with D*. This is what they have now. A dish 500 with 2 dual lnbs, 4 lines going into a SW44 witha power insert in line 1. 3 lines out of the SW44 to (3) 501's(they want to keep them all running). I have a bunch of 18" dish so I can give them one. I would just like to know the cheapest(and easiest) way to add the 5th line and extra dish.

Thanks
Ken

Cheapest: Give them TWO of your 18" dishes and point one to 110 and the other to 119 and connect them with SW-21 switch for Legacy LNBs or a DP-21 for Dish Pro LNBs. Connect one of the 501's to the output of the SW-21 switch. I'm not saying it's the best way, but it's the cheapest way.

They would like 61.5 on all the receivers for HDTV & SkyAngel. If not that than atleast on 1 of he 501's and the 942.

To get 61.5 to all the receivers would require swapping the SW44 out for *2* SW64 switches and the associated splitters and feed loads. This may be the most complex install (Dual SW64 diagram).

For the 942 and 2 501s, swap the SW44 for an SW64. Use one of your old D* dishes with a dual LNB, run the 2 outputs to the SW64. Use 2 more 18" dishes (single or dual LNB) and an SW21 for the 3rd 501.

As you can see, adding a 5th tuner to a legacy setup gets real messy real quick and staying cheap or simple can mean adding a dish farm, so....

Retire a 501, swap the SW44 for an SW64. Run the 942 in dual mode (independent viewing in 2 rooms). Or...

Convert to DishPro Plus. Put a DP Twin on their Dish500 and a DP Single or DP Dual on an 18" dish (I think the LNBs need a D-tube rather than square). Run just 1 line from each satellite slot to a DPP44 (4 satellites, 4 receivers) switch. The output to the 942 will go to a DP Separator (supplied) at the back of the 942 which will feed the 2 tuner inputs.

Convert to DishPro Plus. Put a DP Twin on their Dish500 and a DP Single or DP Dual on an 18" dish (I think the LNBs need a D-tube rather than square). Run just 1 line from each satellite slot to a DPP44 (4 satellites, 4 receivers) switch. The output to the 942 will go to a DP Separator (supplied) at the back of the 942 which will feed the 2 tuner inputs.

Thank you very much I will order the new parts today

If they are in a market that has any additional locals on the 61.5, they get that and the upgrades switches for free. There is really no simple way to do a 5th tuner on a legacy setup. And, even tho the DP+44 is more expensive, it is cheaper or about the same as 2 DP34s. Also, make sure that all wiring is rated at at LEAST 2.2Ghz. DP equipment runs at higher freqs than direct. If you are unfamilar with E* legacy installs, I would NOT recommend doing a dual SW64 setup. Good luck.