Questions about Bridging and Internet

Jim Koenig

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
central minnesota
Some advice from a knowledgable person would be appreciated. I have a two hopper/3 joey setup. I added a Slingbox and connect the hopper with the slingbox to the wireless router. It seems to work. Should I have connected both hoppers to the Internet wireless router? Should I have enabled bridging? If so, how do I do it? Where do I go to see if bridging is enabled? Who is in charge of putting together a Hopper manual and how can I contact them?

Some advice from a knowledgable person would be appreciated. I have a two hopper/3 joey setup. I added a Slingbox and connect the hopper with the slingbox to the wireless router. It seems to work. Should I have connected both hoppers to the Internet wireless router? Should I have enabled bridging? If so, how do I do it? Where do I go to see if bridging is enabled? Who is in charge of putting together a Hopper manual and how can I contact them?
I would enable bridging on the Hopper that is connected to the network, that way it shares internet access to all of the other Hopper and Joeys for apps to work. If you enable bridging, don't hook up the other hopper to the network.

Since we are on the subject of connectivity, do you think there is an advantage of bridging over both being connected to the internet on a 2 hopper system? I could see the advantage if the main one is wired and the other is wireless, but what about if you have ethernet in every room and could connect them that way. I know there were some early issues of them both being connected, but I think that was fixed. So in that situation, is there an advantage/disadvantage?

Since we are on the subject of connectivity, do you think there is an advantage of bridging over both being connected to the internet on a 2 hopper system? I could see the advantage if the main one is wired and the other is wireless, but what about if you have ethernet in every room and could connect them that way. I know there were some early issues of them both being connected, but I think that was fixed. So in that situation, is there an advantage/disadvantage?

I don't know if there is an advantage or not to wired versus bridging. I have no problems with my four Hoppers and one Joey all connected by Cat5 cable to my router. All have their own IP address that I have assigned to them from my router's Reservation table. There is no HIC, wireless, or bridging. Also, all Hoppers and Joey are connected by coax. In the Home Network Connection Status menu (yellow - blue - 1) the red option tab says Ethernet Top and the little Broadband icon is green and says connected for all Hoppers and Joey.

So in that situation, is there an advantage/disadvantage?
I would do bridging only. Simply to avoid problems like last summer when more than one device is connected (even though it's currently fixed).

Plus it's easier to troubleshoot if the hopper system is interfering with your internet and local network by only having one device connected. Pull one plug and it's all disconnected.