Questions about DISH Installs?

krinksta

Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Wisconsin
I am living with my parents and have no cable in my room so since I am 18 was thinking about installing DISH. However I doubt my father would be to happy about me drilling into the roof or siding of the house. So will DISH allow me to install it myself or will a PRO have to? Also, if I find there is no Line of Sight and I have already opened the stuff up can I get a FULL refund? The reason I dont want a PRO to do it is the place where it will probably only work because of trees is behind the garage so they would have to dig underground to place the wires and would feel better doing it myself so they are not drilling into the house. Thanks

I am living with my parents and have no cable in my room so since I am 18 was thinking about installing DISH. However I doubt my father would be to happy about me drilling into the roof or siding of the house. So will DISH allow me to install it myself or will a PRO have to? Also, if I find there is no Line of Sight and I have already opened the stuff up can I get a FULL refund? The reason I dont want a PRO to do it is the place where it will probably only work because of trees is behind the garage so they would have to dig underground to place the wires and would feel better doing it myself so they are not drilling into the house. Thanks

Buy a 1000 foot roll of high quality RG6 with a solid copper center conductor. Get a compass and a protractor and go to dishpointer.com so you can get the information to do a site survey. Cement your pole in the ground absolutely vertically. Dig the trench and put conduit in it from the dish to the house and pull in a single RG6 and route it to your receiver location. Wire a telephone jack where you want the receiver. Call dish and let the installer terminate the coax and put your receiver in. You will only be out about $100 and you can carefully plan your installation. If you have an old dish receiver and antenna, you can install everything and they will send you a new card and turn your system on, without a two year commitment. Good Luck.

Buy a 1000 foot roll of high quality RG6 with a solid copper center conductor. Get a compass and a protractor and go to dishpointer.com so you can get the information to do a site survey. Cement your pole in the ground absolutely vertically. Dig the trench and put conduit in it from the dish to the house and pull in a single RG6 and route it to your receiver location. Wire a telephone jack where you want the receiver. Call dish and let the installer terminate the coax and put your receiver in. You will only be out about $100 and you can carefully plan your installation. If you have an old dish receiver and antenna, you can install everything and they will send you a new card and turn your system on, without a two year commitment. Good Luck.
Close but no cigar. You can certainly do the install yourself just like described, but if you have an installer come out then you'll have wasted your time, and money on all you did. Dish has certain minimum quality standards that have to be followed by their installers. If those are not met then the installer is not allowed to install the system, and risks failing as well as possibly being fined for the job if he installs it anyway. One big thing (and I assume it is this way across the nation) is grounding the system. If it can't be grounded it doesn't go in. Another big thing in our area is Line of Sight window. There must be a min of 5* "window" around each bird (or SAT) you're system sees. Last but not least our local QAS says all new accounts (and Dish movers) must have new (DES is the brand we use out of our house) Rg6 coax run on it unless it absolutely can not be replaced (IE wall fished or drywalled in).

Local retailers are not bound by the rigid standards Dish sets for the in-house and contractor techs.
That is your best bet.

There is no way for a customer to know whether he's getting a quality installer, whether it be a retailer or in house tech. It's the luck of the draw. Getting one or the other doesn't mean the cust will get a good install nor that it will be up to Dish specifications. Personally, I think a cust is better with an in-house tech because there is a more likely chance that the job will be qc'd and if the installer is concerned enough about that he will do a good job (although that alone will not deter some from doing a poor job). Also, in house techs are supposed to provide free installs for the most part - not necessarily true with a retailer. The customer will get a free install, and new equipment, regardless of whether he buys or leases. Krinksta...call Dish directly and get yourself an appointment. If mounting the dish to the house or roof is a problem, it can be installed on a pole (obviously you have to have a los for any mounting option.) If your dad is dead-set against drilling any holes into your room to get the cable there, have the tech use a flatstrip which goes under the window frame and causes no damage.

No ground, no install, huh?? Really...here it's ground if it's available, install anyhow. Replace RG6 with new RG6?? Say it ain't so! 2250 RG6 is 2250 RG6 regardless of who makes it. Not a lot of installs gonna happen under that criteria!

No ground, no install, huh?? Really...here it's ground if it's available, install anyhow. Replace RG6 with new RG6?? Say it ain't so! 2250 RG6 is 2250 RG6 regardless of who makes it. Not a lot of installs gonna happen under that criteria!

Yep it's stupid, but that's the way it is here. I partially agree with the new cable thing. 2250 Rg6 is 2250 Rg6 (DirecTv Rg6 (Perfect Vision) is as good (if not better) than the DES we use here for Dish), but that crap the cable companys use around here is what I believe what prompted the new install/new cable thing. To many tech reusing that junk, and it causing problems with the system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)