Questions about EA and renters rights for satelite installs

mabover

Feb 13, 2008
Greetings
I have a friend that lives on the the east side ground level apartment in the Des Moines Iowa area, first can he get eastern arc here in Iowa, because he cant get line of sight to 129 or even 119.
Secondly He has asked his apartment management company about installing a dish and they told him that he, could but he would have to have 100,000 in liability insurance for property damage, is it legal to require that? Wouldn't his renters insurance cover that to beign with, or would he to have that added?
Thanks for any info
Beau...

sgip2000

SatelliteGuys Family
May 6, 2005
Hillsboro, OR
I can't answer the question about EA, but I can about the insurance.

If he has renters insurance, he should have 2 parts to it. One for property loss/damage of his personal property, and one for liability of damage to the building.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Here is the deal, as long as the dish gets installed in your own exclusive area such as on a porch, patio or balcany and you do not drill any holes then there is not a dam thing that the association or management can do to prevent you from getting a Dish.

If you must install on a common area, such as a roof, on an outside wall or on a pole in a common area, then your at the mercy of the management or association.

The insurance requirement is illegal, but at the same time if your installing in their common areas they can also tell you no.

If it was me in that position I would threaten to move, and with the economy being this bad im sure they would accomodate you!

Its just like my girlfriends apartment the lease is up at the end of the month. Tried raising the rent $75, I told the girl at the association we would move out and when I mentioned that there where several other vacant units we knew about that where not being rented out they argeed to keep the rent the same.

mabover

Feb 13, 2008
Thanks for your responses, Claude would the post's that go up on the outside edge of his patio and provide the support for the decks for the two floors above him be considered a common area? Also would it work to mount the dish on a pole cemented in a 5 gallon bucket, or would that be to unstable.
Also any one have any idea on the eastern arc part of my question.
Thanks again for the help
Beau...

sethwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 16, 2008
Booneville, AR
Thanks for your responses, Claude would the post's that go up on the outside edge of his patio and provide the support for the decks for the two floors above him be considered a common area? Also would it work to mount the dish on a pole cemented in a 5 gallon bucket, or would that be to unstable.
Also any one have any idea on the eastern arc part of my question.
Thanks again for the help
Beau...

yes des moines hd locals are on the 61.5 bird eastern arc would be the way to go. never have used the 5 gallon bucket thing, but have seen it mentioned on here before. hope you get him hooked up.

sgip2000

SatelliteGuys Family
May 6, 2005
Hillsboro, OR
The insurance requirement is illegal, but at the same time if your installing in their common areas they can also tell you no.

Actually, they can stipulate in the lease that insurance is required; if it's reqired for everyone equally.

I just had to deal with this and a lawyer said it's legal as long as they require it for everyone.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Please dont go the bucket mount route and run like hell if someone recommends it, bucket mounts move with the wind created by a sparrow fart. It would be a good idea to get the renters insurance regardless of wether its required equally for all, very few apartment installs are properly grounded or even grounded at all for that matter because of requirements for keeping the intire system within the confines of the rental unit and available grounding tends to be at the head and tail end of the buildings.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
...but he would have to have 100,000 in liability insurance for property damage
Have him check his policy. He may already have that covered and if the amount isn't that high, it can likely be raised to that for a surprisingly small amount of increase.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
...would the post's that go up on the outside edge of his patio and provide the support for the decks for the two floors above him be considered a common area?
Only if the dish doesn't extend out beyond the "zone" that the balconies above are in. Picture it this way, if the tenant above can see the dish without hanging over their railing, it's outside of his (your friend's) area and in the "common area".

mabover

Feb 13, 2008
Thanks for the responses, I have suggested that he just go the insurance route. One more question, how does a person go about ordering a eastern arc setup.
Thanks again
Beau...

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
how does a person go about ordering a eastern arc setup.
Since his locals are on 61.5', he may be all taken care of. Worst case, if the installer can't get line-of-sight to the 110/119/129' locations, they're supposed to try 61.5 and the other two satellites, i.e. Eastern Arc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)