Questions about "moving"

Zombie069

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Montrose, CO 81401
I just moved (for real) and called to update my service address from Albuquerque to Montrose (thinking I'd get Denver locals) but I got stuck with the Grand Junction locals, losing half my local channels, and ALL the HD locals. :eek:
Is there a list somewhere that gives up which channels you get in what local markets and which of those have HD versions?
I'm thinking either "move" back to Abq locals or maybe try Denver and see w hat I can get. I'd like to get the most HD locals (me and everyone else, I know, lol) and still keep my FSR for the games.

on edit: I've got a wing dish here now so I have 110,119,129, and 148 to choose from

Thanks guys.
Brad

Last edited:
Thanks, i didn't kow that. I think that's what happened to mine, moving here switched me to 148 for the locals.
I "moved" to Lakewood and solved it, plus I gained a few more channels than I had from Abq as well..

Thanks again.

You can take the dish aimed at 148° and swing it over to 129° with no problem! Other than look-angle, you don't need anything else!

Glad to be of service!

See ya
Tony

Alright so I am about to do the "moving" thing. I am in College Station, TX so I only get CBS and Fox in HD, and I am tired of watching the NBA finals in SD. I am going to move to Houston, since I found that I am in the spot beam of it according to http://jameslong.name/spots/2384-04s16-02.gif. I ran a check switch to make sure I get Satellite 110, transponder 4, and since it is 4s16, this means that it is transponder 4, correct?

I also wanted to ask about the Dish Mover thing... I will be for real moving to a different place in College Station in August... will this be free for them to come out and do an install even if I have technically already "moved" though I didn't use my install(Don't you typically get one free dish mover installation?) And will they be suspicious?

Also, what is the preferred method of getting a "new" address.

Thanks for all of your help.

Regarding the dish mover question. I live in TX and recently went through a series of "moves" with the end goal being to get NESNHD (for the red sox). I originally was getting 110, 119, and 129. I first "moved" to an address in CT and did start getting NESN but only SD and not HD. I did some research and realized that NESNHD is only on 61.5, which I wasn't setup to receive. Lucky for me, Dish just added HD locals to 61.5 for my true DMA (Austin). So I called dish and "moved" from CT back to my real address and told them I want to get my locals in HD and need the 61.5 dish. The CSR offered to to a dish mover pass for me to make the 61.5 setup free. A few days later, a dish tech came to my house and installed a dish for 61.5. A few more days and I called Dish and "moved" back to the same CT address. I now get NESN in HD and it didn't cost me a dime :)

So based on my experience, I would say that simply calling and changing your service address does not count towards your dish mover qualification. Just make sure you tell them you brought your receiver with you and the new address is already setup with the proper dish. Only when you tell them that you're moving to an address that needs a hardware setup will it truly "use" your dish mover pass and they will send somebody out to set you up at that address.

awesome, that is just what I needed to know. What was your method of determining an address? The movie theater+apt number trick?

Wait, one last question, houston's locals are on sat 110 4s16 meaning transponder 4, spotbeam 16, right? So i check to see my reception of trans 4 on sat 110 on the point dish screen it says that the signal is between 65 and 70 and locked, but name not acquired. Should I be concerned with that?

Wait, one last question, houston's locals are on sat 110 4s16 meaning transponder 4, spotbeam 16, right? So i check to see my reception of trans 4 on sat 110 on the point dish screen it says that the signal is between 65 and 70 and locked, but name not acquired. Should I be concerned with that?
If I had to guess, I would say if you have a good signal , You must be under the spotbeam! But the receiver,might be giving you a reading from another satellite. Like 110 or 119. I've noticed on my receiver when I do a signal test on a Satellite I don't have, Like 129 or 148 it defaults to the 119. I'd make sure before you do the move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts